110v between the metal surface of grounded and ungrounded equipment?

Quite a few older TV's had hot chassis relative to ground and is why there were warnings for consumers to never remove the backs. Back in the old days AC two long plugs that were not polarized were quite normal and your situation could easily happen. Reverse the plug.

I used to have an old record player, one that was marketed for little kids to use, and it was treacherous. One of my most unpleasant memories from when I was 3 or 4 was when I touched the chassis while my arm was on the metal shelf it was on. Between the shock and the BZZZZZ out of the speaker, it was startling. I was super cautious about using it after that.
Years later, in high school, I was working on a record player that had intermittent sound. I fixed the bad solder joint and then got a trip back 13 years or so when I touched the chassis of it after it was put back together and got shocked again. But 120 volts isn't as unpleasant as the 700+ was about a year later when I touched something inside my CB linear while holding my D104 mike. I landed in the closet and flet bad the whole next day..

Back
Top Bottom