12 gauge cables ok for SX-525?

mea2112

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just wondering if it matters what type of speaker cable I should use with my SX-525? I was planning on using 12 gauge Monster Cable to connect to my JBL 350A's. I know this isn't one of Pioneer's top of the line models but I still l still love it nevertheless and I just want to treat it right.

I know I'm a terrible person but I've always found plain ol' 16 ga. lamp cord works pretty well. The brown is easiest to find but the white is easier to color-code with a magic marker.

Yeah, 18 or 16 ga is probably all that will fit -- even the TOTL models during the 70s cannot use 12 ga directly, and pins aren't so helpful sometimes.
For long runs, I've used 12 ga, then piggy-backed a short length of 16 ga to actually go into the speaker outputs I use wire nuts, but you could twist 'em together real tight and wrap with electrical tape.

I spread out the strands and clip a few out of the middle (at varying lengths) and then twist them all real tight to get 12 guage ot the right size to fit my 1250.
I have even considered drilling out the plastic insert holes on the clips to allow a little larger wire to go through. Can anyone think of any objections to doing this? (resale is not a consideration)

The adapters are only $7.50 at Vintage Electronics! You could almost solder it on the terminals if you wished...why do you wish to butcher such a nice receiver when all you gotta do is SPEND $30 (FOUR CHANNELS WORTH) AND PLUG THEM IN???

The plugs are not unobtainium...

averagewhiteman said:
I spread out the strands and clip a few out of the middle (at varying lengths) and then twist them all real tight to get 12 guage ot the right size to fit my 1250.
I have even considered drilling out the plastic insert holes on the clips to allow a little larger wire to go through. Can anyone think of any objections to doing this? (resale is not a consideration)

do it with a Dremmel Moto tool not a regular drill bit lest you want the drill bit to grab it and rip it off. . . Using a Moto Tool is a common practice for this. . . You think the 1250 is bad. . . try the KR-9600. . . atrocias. . .

I'd rather buy the plugs but I would mod the AM if I had to, and I will find out soon when "my baby" arrives...I still have choices here in the Treasure Valley.

18 gauge is more than satisfactory.

However, if you want to use the fat stuff, the simplest and least damaging solution is to clip some strands of wire off the ends to get down to what will fit in the connector, and then use a soldering iron to tin the strands together into a nice stiff "pin".

Has anyone ever produced a detailed chart/graph that shows recommended gauge with a Y axis "Length of wire run" and X axis "Wattage of amplifier" or something like that?

Monster Trucks are only TEN BUCKS adult, FIVE for kids under 12, and the first 100 in get a toy monster truck!

That's a damned good value! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom