120Vac 60Hz to multivoltage 50/60hz ?

pauld

Hello to all - I just joined bu thave been watching for a while. Can anyone tell me if this can be done and if so what parts differences are there. I know that the transformer and voltage selector switch would be required but are ther any "in built" design changes that would make this an impossible conversion.

The reason I ask is that i am looking to purchase an SX-980 or SX-1280 but the only units i seem to find are the 120V versions built for the USA. If it can be done then i'll get the parts and away we'll go !

Hi pauld, and welcome to AK! I can't help you with your quest but, there are quite a few that can. You'll have to be patient as many members are at the yearly Fest.(big stereo get-together) :D .........Echowars, Ilimzn, are just 2 off the top of my head. They'll know the answer. :yes:

Pauld, welcome to AK. If you want to use a 120V US model on a 220V net, the easiest way is to use a external transformer. They are available for not too much money. Changing the units transformer is not so easy, you need to find the right replacement, maybe from a totally dead unit. Normaly there are only a few small differences between US and Europe models (like Switchable FM deemphasis), but that´s nothing you would miss. Biggest differenc is mostly that the US units come often with the nice woody case, the rest-of-the-world units have only metal cases.

What about difference frequency

Thanks for the prompt response - you guys get up early ! I know i could use a "step down" transformer to alter the voltage, but would the different AC frequency of 50Hz as opposed to 60Hz have any detrimental effect on either the unit itself or on the sound quality ? I have some basic electrical and engineering skills but the theory behind the effects of changing the AC frequency is a little beyond my understanding !

Ah, Bamboe, you found a new object to look for???

Pauld, don't be worried about the 50 or 60Hz. If th US transformer is designed for 60Hz and you use it with 50Hz the efficiency goes a little bit down (maybe some sigle percents), but I think you won't notice that. It has no influence to the sound) Important is, that the step down transformers is not too small and can handle the receivers power needs.

Agger, nope, I'm not going to hunt after this one. I won a SX-939 for 80€ and am happy with it :) It's cosmetically in mint condition and everything works, though it might need (like all vintage gear) a thorough cleaning and recap to meet it's factory specs again.

Great! thanks all - all thats left to do is find one and get a decent step down transformer to run it from UK mains.

Back
Top Bottom