12AX7 ?

Those might have been the e83cc ( I think that's the version) of 12ax7/ECC83 tube made by Telefunken. They're a "Holy Grail" tube and constructed differently. I think their plates are "boxed". Medical or lab grade tube.
The Telefunken ECC803S is the most coveted of the 12ax7 type. Especially designed to have very low noise for critical use like recording or medical and instrumentation. The odd look is because they have a "frame grid" like 6dj8 tubes. Most 12ax7 have the grids wound on metal posts. Higher precision is achieved by winding the grid on a frame. I have a few but i have not even listened to them. I felt that the 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes sounded better to me in a preamp than the 6dj8 or ecc83 tubes.

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times here but I would like to know the current thinking on what are some of the better 12AX7's to use in a tube preamp situation. Your favorites?
The original BBoy long plate ECC83, is one of the few that i thought made a significant difference in a preamp. This was an EICO HF86. But those are very expensive tubes and i did not try many different brands in the preamp since i only had it for a short time. The original tubes for the HF86 are Mullard short plate ax7.

Just rolled a new pair of matched and balanced Tung Sol gold-pin 12ax7s into a Jolida JD5T pre. I know the gold is really pretty useless, but it was my birthday present to me, so there you are. Gave them about 15 hours to break in a little driving the headphone amp, then switched on the power amp, and spun some records for awhile. Noticeably quieter, the presentation was wider and deeper, a bit warmer than the stock tubes, with a more palpable presence. Bass seems more controlled, mids are very nice, highs are smoother, I like the tonal balance. Overall, a nice sound. Not too lush, not too precise, just a nice sound.

100 guys, 100 opinions...

+1. Seems about 80% of discussions go this way. I think it's all good healthy discussion and in this hobby everyone has an opinion. I think it's in the DNA of the audiofool (me). The ones that bug me the most are the... I have it... so it's good and I'll recommend it conversation.

Just rolled a new pair of matched and balanced Tung Sol gold-pin 12ax7s into a Jolida JD5T pre.
Does "new" mean "new reissue", Jed, or "new old"? I have 4 NOS Tung-Sol 12AU7s in a Luxman preamp, and they take my breath away. They're combined with 4 x 50-year old T'funken 12AX7s, and together they put me at risk of respiratory failure.

My only experience with new-new tubes was Sovtek and Electro-Harmonix over 10 years ago... the most praise I can give them is they worked — until they didn't. So I'd love to find some new-news that really deliver. Or are they all, as our President assures us, fake-news?
I have it... so it's good
Nicely put. Says a lot about the person, very little about the tube...

New reissue, but they really do sound pretty decent, neither muddy not overly bright. That being said, the Jolida is a tube hybrid pre, not a full-tube model. Also, it's running into a vintage MOSFET amp, so there's that. It's likely not going to sound as tubey as your Luxman, no matter what glass I swap. I just wanted something to knock the edges off of CD, and open things up a bit with vinyl. It seems to do the job I ask of it, and more than just adequately, especially with LP's. Regardless of how much, or little, comparatively, I paid for them, I think the new tubes are a good fit in my system.

100 guys 100 opinions,,sure but opinions are what I want to hear and there are some great ones here,,thanks.

Those Tung Sol gold's seem like a try to me and might replace the two RCA clear tops I am using now.

100 guys 100 opinions,,sure but opinions are what I want to hear and there are some great ones here,,thanks.

Those Tung Sol gold's seem like a try to me and might replace the two RCA clear tops I am using now.

The clear tops are excellent. Not sure the Tung Sol would be an upgrade.

Telefunken are too expensive for me but I made good experiences with Philips E83CC SQ (made by S&H / Munich ;)) for my pre-amps phono stage. Before, I used Sovtek 12AX7LPS and JJ ECC83 MG but these tubes did not perform well with the phono stage. Other 12AX tubes I use in my pre--amp are Sylvania made 5751. Good quality and the todays prices are reasonable. For my main-amp I use also a Philips E83CC and Philips 12AX7WA. The pre-amp tubes have IMHO a much bigger influence on the sound of your system and should therefore choosed with care. The influence of different NOS tubes (of the same family) used at the main-amp never made for me a big impact on Sound. I replaced at the main-amp Siemens E83CC by the Philips 12AX7WA and could not hear a difference in Sound. I will save the Siemens for a rainy day. Generally I can say that the NOS tubes I use, gives me a better sound performance and last longer as any new production 12AX7 I used up to now in my system.

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times here but I would like to know the current thinking on what are some of the better 12AX7's to use in a tube preamp situation. Your favorites?

Amperex BB mid - late 1950's long plates D getter - super 3D sound
Mazda 12AX7 chrome plate double or triple mica
RCA 12AX7 black plates 1950's
CBS 7729 - rare odd variant but probably the best 12AX7 ever made very low microphony
Mullard Box plates CV-4004

These are the best I ever heard in the V1 12AX7 position Mazda and CBS being tied. going to cost some coin for any one of them but if you have a revealing type rig like horns stats or panels any one of these tubes should be on the must try list.

Last edited:
Giving up on 'the sound of tubes' ...... (have explained why)

Just wishing to add that in over 60 years of experience, I never had a tube heater fail because of inrush current. Yes, the sudden bright surge does worry one, but there. (How many tubes would that be - literally hundreds.)

RCA made 12AX7 clear tops? I have a pair of 12AU7 clear tops in a Lamm pre that sound fantastic.

I've never seen an RCA 12AX7 clear top, seen several 12AU7 clear tops. Checked my old Cary SLA-30 tube amp today to see what 12AX7s I have in it. RCA short gray plate, not too pricey or hard to get (well, NOS NIB are pricey). Sound good to me. Sure last a long time.

I've never seen an RCA 12AX7 clear top, seen several 12AU7 clear tops. Checked my old Cary SLA-30 tube amp today to see what 12AX7s I have in it. RCA short gray plate, not too pricey or hard to get (well, NOS NIB are pricey). Sound good to me. Sure last a long time.

Most of the RCA clear tops of this type, are labeled as 7025s (same parameters are 12AX7s, just rated for lower noise). I have had a few of those. They're very nice. Good phono preamp tube...

Regards,
Gordon.

I have a couple of RCA 7025s. Haven't seen any clear tops of those either. Is this a pretty rare tube? NOS RCA 7025 can command a pretty price.

I have a couple of RCA 7025s. Haven't seen any clear tops of those either. Is this a pretty rare tube? NOS RCA 7025 can command a pretty price.

I've actually had two of the 7025 cleartops, total. Funny enough, both came from Magnavox AMP185s. I wound up putting them in the phono section of a PAS3, IIRC.

I've not seen any since- and it's been a number of years...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom