~13 years since D+M bought Marantz - whoa !

Well shucks, guys. :eek:

With all the useless drivel I spew around here - I'm glad to know I can actually make a useful contribution - if only once in a while. Kind of like the stopped clock being right twice a day theory. :D

I'm more of a "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile" kind of guy myself, but yeah, thanks. :D Interesting info.

I will also say that my Phillips era HT receiver is probably the most trouble-free piece of gear I've ever owned. Rock solid since '99.

I know this is one of my older threads, but I was surprised to see that D+M divested itself of Marantz Professional earlier this year. Can't say that I've had a lot of lust for any of the Pro product line, but its an interesting footnote to the corporate history of the Marantz brand. Denon Professional just doesn't have the same ring to it, but then I've never been overly excited by gear from Tascam or any of the other 'stick it in the corner and forget it' brands - I assume it's reliable and that's all that matters. Much like their investments in Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts, i doubt that Bain Capital see any of D+M's brands with any particular interest beyond the numbers on their balance sheets - here's hoping those numbers stay positive. :thmbsp:

Marantz Professional has always been kind of an odd duck in Marantz corporate structure. When Superscope sold Marantz, the Superscope Technologies brand became the sole visible remaining vestige of the old Superscope, and spent many years as a weird not-quite-Sony, not-quite-Superscope, not-quite-Marantz little niche market all its own, despite the fact that most all of their products still came from the original Standard Radio factory that is now Marantz Japan.

It's not surprising that Marantz Pro has been let go ; Denon Pro is way more visible in the integrator market than M-Pro ever was, and I'd bet you'll see the two becoming one very shortly.

(Superscope Technologies still exists, BTW...no idea if there's still any D&M connection.)

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Last edited:
Listening to some Stevie Ray on a Marantz 33 pre &16 amp through a pair of Marantz Imperial 6's as I read this thread. :music:

Back
Top Bottom