$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

I re-did the little clips inside the connectors and plugged in. No soldering needed. The picture was just for the ease of explanation.

:banana:(But I DO get your point now, I was counting on people figuring that out for themselves.):banana:

Text is such a pain to deal with. I should have made a doggone video. Looking at it I thought, "well of course they would know to do that." Really though...without really thinking about it, you are right...there would be a soldering iron in my hand from my posting.
These amps work great for a secondary unit or even with a primary as long as you use a subwoofer. People tend to forget they are rolled off under 50hz.
Once the mods were done, I would put them up against any 500 and under integrated out there with that one caveat allowed for.
They work very well with my MET7 Sequerras.
A set of ProAc Tabs or the flea powered single driver fostex based horns would really sing with this amp.
I would like to trick someone in a blind listen.

One thing to remember though. WE got them for 23 dollars including shipping. They sure did not go for that retail.

One thing to remember though. WE got them for 23 dollars including shipping. They sure did not go for that retail.

Not me. I got my two for $13.99 each, plus tax, at the local RS store. I still have one in an unopened box. That's even cheaper than those Lepai at Parts Express. :thmbsp:

Man, I'm glad I snagged the two amps when I did.
Any idea if the amp that they put into the powered Accurian speakers can take a similar mod as the standalone amp?
Reason I ask: I grabbed 4 NIB pairs of the Accurian powered speakers that RS was dying to get out of their storage....for $10 each pair....shipped!

Last edited:
I get plenty of slam out of mine. I'm not sure they are rolled off. That freq resp spec may have been including the rf module.

I also have two of the powered speaker amps. Since they are all one board it's more difficult. I'l be fiddling with them in the future and will post back if I determine any easy ways to bypass the op amps or to improve the circuit.

I got the stand alone amp, and two of the powered speakers' guts for FREE! :banana:

I know this is a really old thread, but since I'm new around here I hope someone might explain something to me.

When I first got these amps in 2006, the modification advice that I found online said to just work with the two plugs directly over the volume knob. After permanently disconnecting the one on the left (with the red,brown, black, and yellow leads), it said to pull the one on the right ( with the white, black, and red leads) and put it in the socket where the first plug had been removed.

So this has worked just fine for the last 4 years.

Now that I see the method here, I have removed the green board as shown to help with eliminating heat build up.

My question is: Does it matter which one of the two sockets you attach the plug with the white,red, and black wires to? It seems like the sockets are wired in parallel, but I am a bit of a rookie so I'd appreciate a gentle response.

Also, I have three of these amps modified. Two for computer sound systems and one for a shop stereo. If any one has a use for the receiver boards (the green ones), they are welcome to them.

Thanks,

Mark

I just picked one of these up at a thrift for 5 bucks. Someone had already done the mod and had handily relabeled the RCA jacks as "LINE IN." :banana:

I have it hooked up to my old JVC one-way bookshelfs and it sounds okay. I'll try it with my larger Hitachi 3-ways later to see what changes.

Out of the seven I got total, all but one of these are working perfectly.
I have to say that when coupled with a powered sub and a Beringher DAC or a music player like the Sansa Fuze (that plays FLACS) this is the cheapest way to make a decent room filling stereo.

I have used them to power everything from a set of Mirage M50's to a set of larger Signets, PSB alpha's, home brew speakers from the parts express catalog...and these amps are amazingly good for the money.
In fact, they sound better than most amps in the big box stores under 400!

(Except for the 50hz cutoff...)

The transformer alone is worth more than double what these amplifiers cost.
One of the best DIY scores I have ever purchased! :banana::banana:

After all these yrs they can still be found on ebay... Fairly cheap

Yeah, amazing isn't it. I just looked on ebay and "123maketime", Todd I believe his name, is selling them in single, pairs, and even lots of ten.

Its hard to fathom that this thing is still going on after all this time. I still have a couple left that I haven't yet modified.

I wonder what speakers people are using with these?
The single driver fostex stuff would seem to be natural for this amplifier.

I wonder what speakers people are using with these?
The single driver fostex stuff would seem to be natural for this amplifier.

No. 1 is driving a pair of EPI 100s (Series 3 - Harman). These are my primary desktop computer speakers.
No. 2 is driving a pair of Infinity Primus 150s - my daughter's Ipod speakers.

Makes a pretty good system for my very limited space at work.

Attachments

• photo(16).jpg
    photo(16).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 112
I have one that I found at a thrift. It had already been modified! I wonder if it was an AK reader.

I use it occasionally for a test amp and to refoam speakers. The low end is boomy and the highs aren't super fun.

Should I run it through some beater speakers to see if it will change with time?

I bought one of those tried the mod and got no sound. What a waste of $15.

cubdog

Ross, if you want to bring the Accurian on Saturday, we can compare it to mine to see if there's something obviously amiss.

I bought one of those tried the mod and got no sound. What a waste of $15.

cubdog

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It did work for me, just took a minute or two. I have been quite happy with the results. I will say that between this and the LePai 2020A+, I prefer the LePai. The Accurian sounds 'fine', but the T-amp sounds 'great' to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom