15 years of Thirf Stores finding.!

DVjorge

Hi all,

I can say I have been fortunate of finding interesting audio gear during my visits to Thirf stores. I began around 2003 ( at least, one time a week visits ) and occasionally the last 4 or 5 years.

Anyway, here is a list of my most relevant finding (I have sold most of them)

1- Nakamichi BX-300 deck
2- Nakamichi BX-1 deck
3- Yamaha K-1000 deck
4- Marantz 1070 integrated
5- JBL L100 speakers
6- JBL-4311B speakers
7- Sansui AU-D7 integrated
8- Pioneer Elite DV-05 dvd player
9- Pioneer Elite DV-037 dvd player
10- Canton Karat 300 speakers
11- Sansui G-57 receiver
12- Diatone MS-40 speakers ( sold them for $450.00, one broken driver, paid $39.00/pair )
13- Altec Valencia speakers ( bought them for $30.00/pair, sold the drivers for $1100.00 to a Japanese )
14- Whaferdale 30D speakers
15- Pioneer SX-750 receiver
16- Onkyo TX-4500 receiver

What have you found ?? List them.!

Hi all,

I can say I have been fortunate of finding interesting audio gear during my visits to Thirf stores. I began around 2003 ( at least, one time a week visits ) and occasionally the last 4 or 5 years.

1- Nakamichi BX-300 deck
2- Nakamichi BX-1 deck
3- Yamaha K-1000 deck
5- JBL L100 speakers
6- JBL-4311B speakers
11- Sansui G-57 receiver
12- Diatone MS-40 speakers ( sold them for $450.00, one broken driver, paid $39.00/pair )
13- Altec Valencia speakers ( bought them for $30.00/pair, sold the drivers for $1100.00 to a Japanese )

Never been to any Thirf stores!

Snell E3's
ADS L somethings two ways, I forget
Advent Maestros
Yamaha CR-700
Cerwin Vega D7's
Cerwin Vega D4's
Pilot 240 tube integrated
KLH Model 32's
Polk Audio powered sub
Really cool little Kenwood adjustable metal stands
Bose 901 series III
Probably more that wasn't worth remembering

I havent been lucky at the thrift stores here but I find nice stuff at pawns cheap. :)
Kenwood 700M
Kenwood 700C
Harmon Kardon Rabco ST-7
Technics 1210 MK5

I've only been doing this for 1-2 years

Anthem AVM20 + PVA7
Yamaha RX-Z7
AR m2
ADS L710
Kef Q90
Marantz UD7007
Oppo OPDV971H
Monster HTS 5000
Monster HTS 2600
Monster HDP 1800
Sony TC-755
Technics LS-j33
Kyocera DA-cx310
Sony gx700es
Sony gx40es
Onkyo tx-sr606
onkyo tx-sr313
pioneer vsx40
2x Energy ES10
NHT super one
NHT sb1
NHT sw10 mkii
NHT MA-1
NAD 4125

Hi all,

1- Nakamichi BX-300 deck
2- Nakamichi BX-1 deck
3- Yamaha K-1000 deck
5- JBL L100 speakers
6- JBL-4311B speakers
11- Sansui G-57 receiver

What out of this list did you find in the first 10 years? And the last 5 years?

What out of this list did you find in the first 10 years? And the last 5 years?
I have found some other equipment but they weren't in good condition. I am very selective buying since I sell many of them, so if what I find isn't in good condition, I let it goes. Sometimes, you find something very good but so bad kept that makes you cry. Even so, I remember buying some cd players from Denon, Sony and less valued speakers such a Yamaha pair and one of the Pioneer HPM series. I believe they were the 60.

What I meant was....did you find most of your bigger score in the first 10 years? Because the last 5 years there is much more competition with the vinyl resurgence, the "picker" trend, etc. than the previous 10.

What I meant was....did you find most of your bigger score in the first 10 years? Because the last 5 years there is much more competition with the vinyl resurgence, the "picker" trend, etc. than the previous 10.
I will say from 2003 to 2008 were my lucky years. After that, it has been difficult to the point I almost don't go today.

If you saw my post, I found everything within the past 2 years. Half my list is probably stuff I found this year alone.

Yes, it depends of your area.

My wife and I used to date long distance. We'd meet in NYC or Los Angeles once a month. So I used to thrift shop for a weekend in NY and LA once a month for a year. I've literally never found anything other than some records or CDs during that time.

Ventured into thrift stores a few times but never found anything I thought would be an improvement.

Most 2nd hand gear I have purchased has come via friends and/or dealers who knew where my system was at.

I travel across the southeast twice a month and have my usual stops from Columbia SC to New Orleans. Everything I have found has been within the last two years, my list above did not include pawn shops and CL finds. It's nice as I can find gear on eBay along my route and not pay the high cost of shipping. While I'm at work for two weeks I have a good bit of down time so this gives me the opportunity to troll CL, most of my luck there has been in rural areas.
When I started getting into the hobby I would gather everything I saw that was half way decent. I now will only go after items I either have a personal interest in or can make a suitable profit from.

Last edited:
In the past couple of years I have found a lot of stuff, I think the best items are a Sony SACD changer for $14 in perfect condition, and a set of Polk RT25is in real maple veneer for $25, again in perfect shape. I also found a set of perfect Minimus 1s for $8. Last month I found a JVC RS77 for $22 that I cleaned up that worked great that I sold for $55 to a guy that was over the moon happy to get it. I think the days of finding Marantz 22xx receivers for $20 are long gone but if one puts out an effort there are still some gems out there. I get a kick out of people that say they never find anything at thrifts only to find out they only go once a month it that. It all takes some effort.

I used to live in the Chicago area and found tons of stuff with names like JBL, Yamaha, AR, Sony, and many others. Now I live in southern New Mexico and the pickin's are slim. Biggest find in the 10 years I have been here are a pair of NHT sub zero things.

Back
Top Bottom