$1500 to spend a Amp/Reciever, What would you get for Classic Rock ?

braincramp

I'm thinking about upgrading or adding to my system. I currently have a Yamaha CR-1020, Thorens TD165, Bose 901 Series II, and Dynaco A25's. I'd like to hear some opinions on a good amp upgrade. Most of the stuff I listen to is on vinyl and most is Classic Rock, Blues, and a little Jazz. Thanks for any help.

What's wrong with that Yamaha you're using? Seems like a great choice for your needs. I'd be interested to know what you feel needs upgrading (sound-wise), so we can better assess upgrade recommendations.

What cartridge are you using on your turntable? If you mostly spin vinyl, you might find your money is better spent on a cart/stylus upgrade rather than replacing a perfectly good receiver for no reason.

I feel that an amp upgrade will only make a very slight difference.

You could try the shiit amp - the vidar. They have an awesome return policy. Use your receiver as a preamp.

If I had 1500 to spend, in your shoes, I would look at either speakers or room treatments.

There is really nothing wrong with the Yamaha. I just like changing stuff! :) Not sure of the cartridge model #. It's a gold Pearl make. I've had JBL L100's which were fine. I guess I'm looking at the best bang for the buck so I appreciate all opinions. It doesn't necessarily have to be a amp upgrade.

I know the Bose 901's are very few people's choice but the Series II ran with a sub actually sound pretty good.

Buuuuut if I must answer - SX-1250. I just picked one up and will have about $1500 in it after a professional recap.

There is really nothing wrong with the Yamaha. I just like changing stuff! :) Not sure of the cartridge model #. It's a gold Pearl make.
OK, at least you're being honest. So nothing's wrong with your Yamaha. Got it.

If you really need a change, then let's address the cartridge. You've got $1500 to spend, which is a lot, and that's where I'd put it. You're using a $99 Sumiko Pearl, which to be honest, is not my favorite budget cart at all. Put your $$$ into your phono rig - how about exploring a really nice cartridge, and using any leftover cash for some new LPs, cables, good headphones, etc?

For vinyl get the best cartridge that your TT will benefit from. It is where your sound begins. If you are using throw in interconnects, try some cables in the $40 range. They do make a difference IMO over throw in cables. Belden 1505F from Blue Jeans Cables are just one suggestion.

Nothing wrong with your Bose 901's, properly set up you would have to spend a lot more to realize much difference. People hate Bose here for some unknown reason. :D My main system is a nice mixture of old and new, slowly skewing towards new. Just pick and chose carefully, just like with vintage. If you are not into restoring equipment yourself think new. As others have said the Yamaha is a keeper in my book.

Last edited:
I just like changing stuff! :)

I do too but i never seem to get rid of the previous stuff just keep adding on. Ive been listening to classic rock on my Marantz 2245 for over 40 years (it was just rock when i started) and its always been my favorite, great phono stage, sweet warm sound. you would have $$ left over for other upgrades as well or if you want more power the 2270-2275-2325 are great as well

I like the idea of the cartridge upgrade. Maybe this question should be in a different forum but what are some good cartridge's ?

There is really nothing wrong with the Yamaha. I just like changing stuff! :) Not sure of the cartridge model #. It's a gold Pearl make. I've had JBL L100's which were fine. I guess I'm looking at the best bang for the buck so I appreciate all opinions. It doesn't necessarily have to be a amp upgrade.

You came to the right place. insert smilie face here
Many members here are enablers. insert smilie face here
People here will gladly help you spend your money. insert smilie face here
So many people, so many opinions. insert smilie face here
Good luck

I agree with most, a new styles will benefit you the most. After that cables and decent speaker wire and you don't have to go crazy on the price on these. I personally like the ortofon 2mm black, less than a $1000. If you must change amps I would look at tubes though. Any upgrade in SS amps/receivers would small if any at all. I like the bose 901's when set up properly myself if running the bose EQ.

Hmmm,,,w/that rig,,,budget,,,and the stated goal(s)...

If it were me,I'd probably go after a pair of NS-1000's to go w/that CR-1020.
If there were any leftover $$ after that,I would use that towards a better cart/stylus.

JM2¢ ~ FWIW

Bret P.

Yes. Some proper speakers (nothing against the open fun sound of the bose!)

and a cart.

Vintage has you covered!

Back
Top Bottom