1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

1930s Fairbanks Morse upright radio?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Northwinds, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

I think this is a BAC-2 or 3 console and it has the tube "eye". I will look it over better later

Not sure if I can restore the big upright cab, speaker is really interesting as it has a huge tone ring, looks like at least 18", I have not measured anything yet. Anyway, here you go and what do you think? Anyone know of this equipment?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

F-M diesels were the motive power of choice for WWII submarines if that tells ya anything:) I've seen a few F-M radios over the years...all well-built with good performance. One thing for sure: they're not common.

3. s-petersen

s-petersen Scott Subscriber

I have a Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp water cooled 1930's engine it used to run a milk pump on a farm, cool!
    The power cord looks yummy!

4. Northwinds

I find it interesting that it has Schenectady on the dial (of all places). A lot of my younger life was spent near that area of NYS. I used to go to a record shop and headshop on Jay St every weekend LOL

The tube setup makes me want to pull the chassis out and look it over but I probably won't do anything with it any time soon

5. Big Harry

Big Harry Active Member

I say to restore it. Fairbanks Morse built good radios. If you need the service information for the radio, I should have it in my Riders manuals

6. CZ4A

CZ4A Active Member

I didn't know Fairbanks-Morse made radios. I knew they built diesel-electric locomotives around the 50s when railroads transitioned from steam to diesel, but they didn't last very long in that market.

That dial is way cool!

7. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good luck if you restore it.

8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

That's cool Ron

It looks really rare like my 1930 General Motors Radio, The Queen Anne. It was a one year thing they did with 5 Models until they got sued by RCA.

The thinking for GM at the time they wanted to put more radios in homes, so they had more people to advertise to over the air waves.

BTW I have a shit pot of tubes if you need any I might have it for you.

Northwinds likes this.
  9. Northwinds

Hey Dan! From what I gather, it is pretty rare. I only see tabletop radios with that style dial and they do $300+. The speaker seems to have a following also for those who are familiar with them

I don't see me repairing anything on this. I looked on Radiomuseum and they say these FM units are very well built and the tuners are quite good (for the period)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. 4-2-7

Steve @Pio1980 and @gadget73 might be able to help with some info.

How about some photos of the whole thing? The speaker might need to be hooked to the unit if you plug it in so you don't harm it, looks like a field coil. It's probably part of the circuitry of the radio.

11. s-petersen

What a coincidence!, last night I went to an auction and saw a similar Fairbanks Morse table radio.
    If you want to see if it lights up, you could remove the rectifier tube to avoid damage.
    Separate the power cord wires at the chassis, as they look uninsulated there.

12. nh36000

nh36000 Holdin' down the fort! Subscriber

CZ4A, and all;

FM is well known for the manufacture of weight scales. Even those that could weight locomotives.

They also built many opposed piston diesel engines that were installed in submarines.

Just saying!

Lu, and living not too far from Beloit, Wi..

13. 4-2-7

14. Northwinds

That's the one Dan except I think the one we have is a 3 model possibly. It is an 8A chassis but I will know better in a bit when I go out and start cleaning it up and yeah I know never hook a tube amp up without a load, that cord looks pretty unsafe LOL

I want to see the "eye" light up LOL, I bet that looks badass as all get at might with that color dial

15. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Also stationary engines of various configurations and size, known popularly for their budget "dishpan" flywheel farm engines.

16. Northwinds

Well, I see a 1937 date on the inside handwritten, I don't know if it's a service notation or manufacturing. The chassis looks like copper on the outside? 3 gang tuner, not bad. One LONGASS antenna. This is not getting plugged in, electric cord is beyond unsafe. 2 screws what held the chassis mounted w/ a shim on one side

The cabinet has a more traditional look to it, probably a C model or just a variation design, cloth is toast at bottom

Looks real clean under the hood but definitely needs the right do over which is not something I am into or affording. I might start vacuuming off the built up dust on the topside. Cab needs a lacquer refinishing and has a few small dents. Amazing this survived period

Bezel glass is missing but looks like repos are available. The bezel ring is cool looking. It would be cool to see this restored but it won't be by me unfortunately. Still I am happy we could save it

Click on any image to supersize

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

s-petersen likes this.

17. s-petersen

Beautiful dial! The one at the auction was not as colorful, but was a shutter dial

18. Northwinds

So what does anyone figure for output, maybe 3-5w? I bet that speaker is crazy effcient

Pio1980 likes this.
  19. s-petersen

single ended 6V6 3w? maybe

20. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

yeah, ~3w is probably about right.

Nostalgiaair probably has a scan of the Riders. If you need a more legible copy let me know. I've probably got original paper.