1950's console stereo upgrade for space

Vinyl Seance

listens to doom loud
I found this old zenith console stereo system at a construction remnant store in pittsburgh and had a dream of converting it to fit my 70's pioneer gear. I bought it for 25 bucks and I slowly began work on it.
The middle part (as you can see in 1st photo) had two sliding doors that opened into a cool little bar space and of to the sides where the speaker grills. In my head I thought it would be cool to make the center bar portion the "stack area for my gear and use the side speaker space as record storage. The center sliding doors would then just slide over to the far right and left to act as doors for the vinyl storage and leave the center area open for stereo gazing. Simple enough right? Well I was suprised....
None of the components worked so I started gutting the thing and taking it apart. I found that the whole damn thing was not only screwed together but wood glued. Because of this the stuff I removed caused alot of damage to the wood I wanted to keep:sigh:. This meant re veneering parts.
After accepting that turn of events I found out that the doors, when moved to the far sides, did not cover the whole side vinyl storage areas. This meant new doors :sigh:.
This "easy" refinish job was turning into a a complete rebuild. But after putting about triple what i paid into it and alot of weekend time I think this thing came out pretty cool and fits my components nicely. Also the "mid century" style matches the living room decor which ways heavily on the girlfriend vote.

The before and after
431549_3164808556871_1165099531_4853403_921252859_n.jpg

another
attachment

and the space before hand
424214_3118666483348_1165099531_4835029_1694949971_n.jpg

Except for the legs I would have never guessed thats the same cabinet!
Nice job! Gorgeous in fact!:thmbsp:

Wow, fantastic work! I love your Pioneer gear as well! I have an older Pioneer reciver from 1980, such a warm sound.

Holy Crap. I've got a couple; ok maybe more than a few, old consoles around with similar plans. I hope they turn out as nice!

Wow, fantastic work! I love your Pioneer gear as well! I have an older Pioneer reciver from 1980, such a warm sound.
It had a solid state Delmonico radio on one side and a record player on the other. it had two 5 inch speakers. It was kind of a sorry site....the whole thing looked as if it had been sitting in an abandoned building for a while which makes sense because I found it at a second hand construction supply store.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Back
Top Bottom