1950's President found

Thered1 had written that his early President numbering system was in question as the 1957 president that was recently found is a model 3000. This numbering system is questioned as the President listed on the 1958 price list is the model 3000 and the 1957 price list has the President as the model 2000, yet the recent one is documented as a 1957.

The mystery continues...

1958 catalog and price list...
Executive PREZ 1958.jpg

1958FisherPriceList.jpg

And the 1957 price list shows the President as the model 2000....

1957FisherPrez.jpg

1957FisherPriceList.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll get some photos as I'll have time to work on the console again soon. I did write down the number that was on several IF transformers from one of the tuners which was 119-544.

The Mullard EL37 output tubes are dated July 1956 and the 5V4's that are labeled Fisher have a date of April 1957.

119-544 might indicate that particular transformer was produced the 44th week of 1955. But if the 5V4 is original to the unit, the April 1957 tube manufacture date is your best clue thus far as the unit must have shipped to the consumer after that date.

Also remember that model years started in September and ended in August. Fisher was probably making model 3000's as early as 6 months prior to build up stocks for distribution and sale. Tube dating to mid 57 with a written in date on the manual of Oct. 57 indicated to me that most likely this is an early '58 model. From what I understand the same tuners were probably used during the whole 2000/3000 run (56 to 59) so tuner dating may NOT be a valid indicator. I'd look closer at the amps, and the switching network, and that separate power supply on the can cap and any dry electrolytics or other parts with dates on them.

Tube dating can get you within 3-4 months or so of manufacturing dates of the console. Remember that logistics were not what they are today. Very few Interstates, trucks were generally slower, no overnight delivery except in town (unless you were very lucky). Take all the dates and average them out and add 4 months for delivery to FISHER, Production time, delivery to distribution centers, then out to the dealers. Then it's a waiting game for customers to come in and purchase the console. So the 4-57 dating on the 5v4 with an Oct '57 purchase date on the manual is not unreasonable. I would think this is a '58 just for those reasons.

Last edited:
Also remember that model years started in September and ended in August. Fisher was probably making model 3000's as early as 6 months prior to build up stocks for distribution and sale. Tube dating to mid 57 with a written in date on the manual of Oct. 57 indicated to me that most likely this is an early '58 model. From what I understand the same tuners were probably used during the whole 2000/3000 run (56 to 59) so tuner dating may NOT be a valid indicator. I'd look closer at the amps, and the switching network, and that separate power supply on the can cap and any dry electrolytics or other parts with dates on them.

Yes, I agree that dating the components in the Amps, Preamp or power supply would be best. Tubes are not good for dating as well. One tube in each of the amplifiers are from 1961, so they were replacements. Could have been replaced any time after 1961. Who ever did the change put a 12AX7 where it called for a 12AU7 which probably didn't help what ever problem they had with the amplifiers :p

I usually use power transformers or filter caps for dating since those are more likely to be originals. Tubes could be absolutely anything. The set in my '53 Philco TV are almost all Philco branded but dated 1955. The model number is specific to 1953 though, so I know it was re-tubed. That, and the one or two originals that were in there still.

I usually use power transformers or filter caps for dating since those are more likely to be originals. Tubes could be absolutely anything. The set in my '53 Philco TV are almost all Philco branded but dated 1955. The model number is specific to 1953 though, so I know it was re-tubed. That, and the one or two originals that were in there still.

Yes, Transformers or filter caps are the way to go. Couldn't find any numbers except what looks like a part number on the filter caps in the amplifiers.

Here's a filter cap out of the power supply for the preamp, numbered 472620. I'm guessing 472 is the manufacturer and 620 would be the 20th week of 1956??

preamp date.jpg

Last edited:
I should have been finished with all of the component restorations by now, but I've been sidetracked rebuilding a couple of my Scott items...(sorry Avery).
Finished the recapping (and a couple resistors) on amplifier #2. It is working perfectly! Still need to get out the rubbing compound and go to work on the outside.
I should be able to listen to the console soon :)

Prez AMP 2.jpg

Does yours have ID tag on inside back right side.
No it doesn't. I looked after seeing your ID tag and only thing left is the residue from the glue that once held it in place. That would have been a big help.
The serial number on your power supply or preamp would help with the date as well.

Keith; Take a look at the heads on the R2R. If the Record Head is 2 track, the model is an A-122 and if the Record head is 4 track it's a 960. 4 track or stereo recording didn't come out until 1958/59 with the AMPEX units, but they were STEREO playback as early as '57. You could purchase pre-recorded tapes in 4 track to be able to play stereo in FWD and REV. However Recording was MONO each way with the A122. Both 57 and 58 President brochures tout Mon and Stereo reproduction (playback) and monophonic recording, so the A122 was the Tapedeck probably used. '59 probably used the 960 AMPEX as the tuner/preamp/amp were changed totally.

Last edited:
Keith; Take a look at the heads on the R2R. If the Record Head is 2 track, the model is an A-122 and if the Record head is 4 track it's a 960. 4 track or stereo recording didn't come out until 1958/59 with the AMPEX units, but they were STEREO playback as early as '57. You could purchase pre-recorded tapes in 4 track to be able to play stereo in FWD and REV. However Recording was MONO each way with the A122. Both 57 and 58 President brochures tout Mon and Stereo reproduction (playback) and monophonic recording, so the A122 was the Tapedeck probably used. '59 probably used the 960 AMPEX as the tuner/preamp/amp were changed totally.

I'll look at the head. The ID tag just says model A , catalog 21000. I know it's not a 960 as it only has a mono input. It does play back in stereo though, so probably an A122.

ampex.jpg

Larry.... I could probably use some help with the rebuild of the Ampex. I know you have rebuilt several of them. Do you have a list of must do's or any tips?

Recap it, and replace the belts. There's a Co out in the Mid West that has parts for them but I don't have the info at hand. I'll get it out of the shed tomorrow. Caps are a bunch of Black beauties. Replace all of them and the small single section can cap underneath. Plus the selenium rectifier with a 1n4007. The Capstan will need to be pulled out the back, and the shaft cleaned and lubed. Run a long qtip with DeOxit in the bushing area then dry qtips until they come out clean. Then lube the bushing with sewing machine or Turbine oil. Clean and demag the heads, and clean all the pots with DeOxit and Faderlube. I might have a schematic for the A-122 somewhere around the crap stack.

Recap it, and replace the belts. There's a Co out in the Mid West that has parts for them but I don't have the info at hand. I'll get it out of the shed tomorrow. Caps are a bunch of Black beauties. Replace all of them and the small single section can cap underneath. Plus the selenium rectifier with a 1n4007. The Capstan will need to be pulled out the back, and the shaft cleaned and lubed. Run a long qtip with DeOxit in the bushing area then dry qtips until they come out clean. Then lube the bushing with sewing machine or Turbine oil. Clean and demag the heads, and clean all the pots with DeOxit and Faderlube. I might have a schematic for the A-122 somewhere around the crap stack.

Thanks Larry! Great information. Sounds like I'll be busy for a while with this one.

I'm not 100% sure but that Can cap may be POS Ground. So take some voltage and polarity readings on the diode, and the can cap. For some odd reason I think at least part of the unit is NEG Voltage.

Here is the man

Warmack Distributors
PO Box 191
7405 Lyons St.
Morton Grove, IL 60053

Voice: (847) 965-7020

Back
Top Bottom