1950's President found

I’m guessing the rtr is an Ampex unit. Fisher sold tuners to Ampex for installation in Ampex consoles.

I’m glad I didn’t find this President. Otherwise I’d be writing this now from a cardiac care unit.

MACY. I'd probably join ya except I'd be on total life support! Good GOD, that thing is raising my Blood pressure just thinking about it. Vendo just SCORED the HOLY GRAIL OF 50's GREATNESS. The Tape Deck is a AMPEX 950 series unit.

Last edited:
Vendo; When you get to digging into it, see if it has the Factory Field Change or Factory change from Mono to Stereo. It'll have 2 PR-6 Preamps, and a wiring harness with a disc or ball that looks somewhat like an OCTOPUS. See the FISHER CONSOLES 1945-1958 thread in the stickies. Starting on Page 2 http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-consoles-1945-1958.154781/page-2#post-4091625 I've seen a picture of that Octopus, and it was in one of Red's posts but I don't remember where I saw the Damned thing. It would definitely Identify this as either a 57 with the factory Field mod to stereo, or a Factory '58. If you pull out the guts we can probably ID it as to which year. The 57', according to RED, was a short lived unit coming out mid year and replaced by the '58 shortly thereafter. I'll keep digging for the Octopus Pic.

Larry

EDIT 2-17-18. DISREGARD ABOVE. I SCRWED UP AND GOT THE Model 1000 and ST-1000 Executive II from 57-58 mixed up with the Pres. My apologies.

Last edited:
I see 2 each pr-6's, with cords that probably still have the factory wrap job, likely never been unwound. With the yellow tag still intact!
Those phono preamp mustve been a hot item back in the day, here's a jap. clone, calrad model pre-105, sitting on the x101d. Nearly identical to the fisher unit in an OLD rek-o-kut rondine turntable in my attic.

Attachments

• 20180216_105421.jpg
    20180216_105421.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 88
Just to witness a find like this makes me glad to be alive. Congrats congrats congrats.

J.H. KEERIST!! SCORE! Wait till CARTER and Fran See THIS! AVERY FISHER IS SMILING ON VENDO! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Yeah... I celebrate any Fisher find... but Vendo's Fisher Finds have me wondering... does he have a time machine? Or maybe one of those magic fortune tellers like in the movie "Big"?

@vendo81 : didn't you find two SA-1000s in the wild? and a number of other Fisher rarities?

He's got a Divining Rod set for FISHER's along with a Voodoo priestess who tosses dice, chicken bones( with the chicken attached) and beads in the air and reads the results when they hit the ground. Don't mess with her.

Gotta laugh somewhere. My dog is like my late wife...she didn't get my humor either.

Dave. I've seen the "octopus" contraption somewhere converting the 57 to 58 spec, but can't remember where I saw it. It had to be in one of Red's threads or posts.

Larry

Thanks to all for your posts! Been out most of the morning and going out again until 7 or 8PM with a fellow collector. It's driving me crazy as I want to dig into this console!

Larry, looking at Red's post you kindly linked to, he states that the 58' model added the presence and brilliance pots to the speakers, which this has. I'll look into
the other date clues the first chance I get, but if correct this must be a 1958 model.

I feel fortunate to have found this and so many other scarce Fisher items, but location is a big factor. I say that as my Voodoo priestess is very helpful, but there are a couple
Fishers I've found without her help :biggrin:

One thing I did notice last night is the all of the FM80's I've looked at have 2 tuning meters where this has only one. The tuner's bezels are unique as well. Looks like the preamp
gets it's B+ from an isolated power supply mounted below. There's a lot stuffed into a relatively small cabinet.

Larry, I think the octopus wiring harness you’re thinking of is the one shown in the Executive I/II service manual.

Dave, I have a copy of Avery’s service manual for the 1st gen. President I/II, (model 2000).

Last edited:
I found it. In the EXECUTIVE II (Model 1000). I could have sworn it was in the President for some reason. So much for the mind going 2nd. HA!!

Back
Top Bottom