1950's President found

What a view! I'd take an artistically lit photo of the back, blow it up, frame it and hang it on the wall. Perhaps you could make such a hi-res photo file available to those of us who must be content merely to dream. I might also suggest that a video documentary of its restoration would be a very interesting side-project I would be very happy to help with if I were not on the wrong coast. Maybe somebody closer could jump in here?

Vendo, have you done an overall tube count (excluding the R2R)? I ask because the description in the 1956 catalog has it at "36 tubes on five separate chassis" and the '57 & '58 catalogs take it up to "38 tubes on six separate chassis." I looked at the service manual an was only able to find 33! However, that service manual - from Avery Fisher's own collection - appears to be of the very earliest version of the President. It does not mention the "President II" which I assume is the equivalent of the "Executive II" - i.e.: stereo phono version of the Executive I.

However, even after an exhaustive search through my files; I have yet to find any mention of the President II. I believe yours is either a President I which was updated or a President II - both were considered model 2000. There may be some confusion as to the designation of the 1958 President, (which is probably my fault.) I have a price list showing the model 3000 President which I have identified as being from the 1958 model year. Upon further consideration I now believe the price list is for the early 1959 model year. My current thinking is that, like the Executive I/II, the President (I) ran from 1956 through 1958 all under the model 2000 designation with the (II) version added sometime after its introduction as stereo records became available.

The existence of the President II is implied in the text of the catalog entry for the 1959 President III which reads, (in part):

"In all the world, there is no instrument that can be compared to THE FISHER PRESIDENT III. When its predecessor, THE PRESIDENT I, was introduced in 1956, it was the world's first truly stereophonic radio-phonograph and tape reproducer."

All other references to the '56-'58 Presidents lack any sort of roman numeral suffix. It is simply "The President". If anyone has a price list from 1956, 1957 or 1958, I would really like to see how the President models are listed!

Are your amps Z-matic? Avery's service manual for the President shows 80-A's but the 80-AZ's were out by 1956. I would be surprised if the President lacked a feature - however questionable - which Fisher was heavily promoting at that time. This is one of the things that makes me think Avery's SM was perhaps a pre-production copy. (That and the 3 missing tubes!)

Incidentally, among Avery's keepsakes was a photo of a President prototype, (open and closed,) which was labeled "The President Series - The Metropolitan". I believe this nomenclature was a holdover from Fisher's (and Philharmonic's) early days when you had the model - say: "The Coronet" and then the cabinet - say: "The Hampshire". So, as conceived, it was "The President" in "The Metropolitan" cabinet. The original photo is a professional 8X10 glossy B&W in perfect condition. My photo of that photo is good enough so that I can zoom in and read most of the writing on the Master Control Amp. Where yours has "The President" it has "El Dorado" which may have been another name Fisher contemplated. I think it would have been a much better name.

Keith;
What a score!!! This is indeed a rare and worthy unit to restore. I love the neatness of the components viewed from the rear. There is a symmetry there that is very appealing. The cabinet also is beautiful. A unit like this is representative of the finest available at the time. It qualifies as a Fisher Time Capsule. I know you will be doing the restoration as a labor of love. Keep us all up to date as you are able to.
Joe

Eldorado was most likely trademarked to GM and Cadillac by then. Plus I'd think that Avery was more inclined to lead rather than follow. Remember that RCA threw gold "V"s on everything around '57 or '58. Very gimmicky. Once the fad wore off, it was time for new cars and consoles. You didn't spend hundreds of hours driving a $3k console. It had to last and outlast design trends.

As I said about mine; I'm amazed by how adaptable it is even today. The RCA MARK I I have was obsolete before the stain was dry.

What a view! I'd take an artistically lit photo of the back, blow it up, frame it and hang it on the wall. Perhaps you could make such a hi-res photo file available to those of us who must be content merely to dream. I might also suggest that a video documentary of its restoration would be a very interesting side-project I would be very happy to help with if I were not on the wrong coast. Maybe somebody closer could jump in here?

Vendo, have you done an overall tube count (excluding the R2R)? I ask because the description in the 1956 catalog has it at "36 tubes on five separate chassis" and the '57 & '58 catalogs take it up to "38 tubes on six separate chassis." I looked at the service manual an was only able to find 33! However, that service manual - from Avery Fisher's own collection - appears to be of the very earliest version of the President. It does not mention the "President II" which I assume is the equivalent of the "Executive II" - i.e.: stereo phono version of the Executive I.

However, even after an exhaustive search through my files; I have yet to find any mention of the President II. I believe yours is either a President I which was updated or a President II - both were considered model 2000. There may be some confusion as to the designation of the 1958 President, (which is probably my fault.) I have a price list showing the model 3000 President which I have identified as being from the 1958 model year. Upon further consideration I now believe the price list is for the early 1959 model year. My current thinking is that, like the Executive I/II, the President (I) ran from 1956 through 1958 all under the model 2000 designation with the (II) version added sometime after its introduction as stereo records became available.

The existence of the President II is implied in the text of the catalog entry for the 1959 President III which reads, (in part):

"In all the world, there is no instrument that can be compared to THE FISHER PRESIDENT III. When its predecessor, THE PRESIDENT I, was introduced in 1956, it was the world's first truly stereophonic radio-phonograph and tape reproducer."

All other references to the '56-'58 Presidents lack any sort of roman numeral suffix. It is simply "The President". If anyone has a price list from 1956, 1957 or 1958, I would really like to see how the President models are listed!

Are your amps Z-matic? Avery's service manual for the President shows 80-A's but the 80-AZ's were out by 1956. I would be surprised if the President lacked a feature - however questionable - which Fisher was heavily promoting at that time. This is one of the things that makes me think Avery's SM was perhaps a pre-production copy. (That and the 3 missing tubes!)

Incidentally, among Avery's keepsakes was a photo of a President prototype, (open and closed,) which was labeled "The President Series - The Metropolitan". I believe this nomenclature was a holdover from Fisher's (and Philharmonic's) early days when you had the model - say: "The Coronet" and then the cabinet - say: "The Hampshire". So, as conceived, it was "The President" in "The Metropolitan" cabinet. The original photo is a professional 8X10 glossy B&W in perfect condition. My photo of that photo is good enough so that I can zoom in and read most of the writing on the Master Control Amp. Where yours has "The President" it has "El Dorado" which may have been another name Fisher contemplated. I think it would have been a much better name.

Hello Red and thank you for your post! So informative! I've enjoyed all of your exhaustive posts and all your work to keep Avery's name and knowledge of his products alive. I wish you lived close by as I'd love to have to help document the console and restoration. When put together I will make a professional photo of the rear for those interested.

I did a tube count and have 30 tubes on 5 chassis. If it had the FM80 it would be 33 as the FM80 has 11 vs 8 in the FM40. I didn't include the R2R, or the 2 phono preamps that were probably later additions.
I'm not sure if the Z-matic option are in the amplifiers but both are marked 80AZ. The serial numbers are close.They don't have the front panels, knobs or cages that I've seen on the stand alone units.

The tube count is as follows:
Preamp- 4 (all 12AX7's and marked as select tubes)
80AZ amplifiers-10 (5 per amplifier chassis)
FM40- 8
AM80- 8
For a total of 30 tubes.

I also found out what the extra knobs are for. Well, at least I'm sure about 2. The two that are centered over the FM and AM tuners are just an on/off switch. They are tapped into the FM and AM tuners line cords to shut them off when not in use. The knob to the far right appears to be a switch that controls the output of the FM in some way. It connects and appears to switch between the FM main output and the MPX output, which was unplugged. I have yet explored where the cables go to. There is also a mystery pair of wires coming out of the AM80, and going into a area (down low) near the turntable. This pair of wires have covered disconnects that I've seen in many later Fisher consoles.

I'll get photos as I get to the individual units.

BTW I like the El Dorado name better too :)

Keith;
What a score!!! This is indeed a rare and worthy unit to restore. I love the neatness of the components viewed from the rear. There is a symmetry there that is very appealing. The cabinet also is beautiful. A unit like this is representative of the finest available at the time. It qualifies as a Fisher Time Capsule. I know you will be doing the restoration as a labor of love. Keep us all up to date as you are able to.
Joe

Thank you Joe. It sure does have a neat, symmetric wiring layout. I've documented it well so it can go back as is.

Vendo, check your tube count on the pre-amp/master control. The schematic shows 7 tubes; 2 6C4s and a 12AU7 in addition to the 4 12AX7s. With the addition of those three your count would match what I see in the service manual.

Furthermore, the FM tuner shown in the SM only sports 8 tubes and 1 tuning meter. I don't have the schematic for the FM-40 but I can't think of anything else from that time it might be. It's beginning to look like you have a completely original early President.

I don't see Fisher's usual cardboard tube layout diagram stapled to the back in your photos. It isn't tucked away inside somewhere, is it? The cover of the SM has this tantalizing piece of information: "Model 2000 - For All Models Above, And Including, Serial No. 144526" !!!!!!! What a strange place to start counting from! Could it possibly be based on the serial number of one of the components? Does yours have any six-digit numbers beginning with 144 that might possibly be the console's serial number?

The mystery wires from the AM-80 should be power for the lights in the changer and R2R drawers. (I found a wiring diagram!) PM me an email address and I'll send you the SM since it's beginning to look like it's pretty close to what you have. I tried to upload images to AK but the 800X600 pixel restriction rendered them mostly illegible. And, as you may have seen in my old posts, PhotoBucket made what it calls "3rd party hosting" a paid function. Someday when I have many, many hours to spend I'll try to find a workaround to restore that information.

Last edited:
Thank you Red!

Your are correct on the mystery wires from the AM80. They are wired in with the AM80's front lights and go to a switch that turns on a light when the changer drawer is pulled out.

PM sent with e-mail address.

If you need measurements or dimensional pics of the door pulls I’d be glad to take them off mine. They could be recreated from brass fairly easily by a shop. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a pair on eBay.

If you need measurements or dimensional pics of the door pulls I’d be glad to take them off mine. They could be recreated from brass fairly easily by a shop. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a pair on eBay.

That would be great! Thanks so much. Ill send a message.

Vendo, check your tube count on the pre-amp/master control. The schematic shows 7 tubes; 2 6C4s and a 12AU7 in addition to the 4 12AX7s. With the addition of those three your count would match what I see in the service manual.

Furthermore, the FM tuner shown in the SM only sports 8 tubes and 1 tuning meter. I don't have the schematic for the FM-40 but I can't think of anything else from that time it might be. It's beginning to look like you have a completely original early President.

I don't see Fisher's usual cardboard tube layout diagram stapled to the back in your photos. It isn't tucked away inside somewhere, is it? The cover of the SM has this tantalizing piece of information: "Model 2000 - For All Model Above, And Including, Serial No. 144526" !!!!!!! What a strange place to start counting from! Could it possibly be based on the serial number of one of the components? Does yours have any six-digit numbers beginning with 144 that might possibly be the console's serial number?

The mystery wires from the AM-80 should be power for the lights in the changer and R2R drawers. (I found a wiring diagram!) PM me an email address and I'll send you the SM since it's beginning to look like it's pretty close to what you have. I tried to upload images to AK but the 800X600 pixel restriction rendered them mostly illegible. And, as you may have seen in my old posts, PhotoBucket made what it calls "3rd party hosting" a paid function. Someday when I have many, many hours to spend I'll try to find a workaround to restore that information.

I emptied the cabinet yesterday and put the cabinet in a safe place. The components are all on a rack shelf where I can get to them when I get time. Took a quick look this morning for a serial number, but I don't have good access to the complete insides of the cabinet where I stored it so I'll need to check later. If the serial number was one of the components I'd think it would be the power or control chassis. The power chassis is serial number 10038A and the control chassis is 10022A. I did notice writing on several components in pencil so I'll have to see what that is about.

Here's the cabinet with the components removed.

Empty President.jpg

I found out what the added complex looking switch with multiple wires is for. I previously thought it was for multiplex FM. After looking it over good I now know it was to create a stereo input. The control chassis has several inputs but only 2 in stereo. One is for tape (labeled Ampex) and the other is for simulcast stereo using AM for one channel and FM for the other. The switch switches between the tuners (AM and FM inputs-left and right channels), or an aux stereo input which is used for the 2 added phono preamps. You can also shut off power to either AM or FM tuner with the additional 2 of the 3 added switches. Either tuner left turned on is played through both channels in mono.

Photo of the control and power chassis. You will notice the mono phono input jack is discolored as it wasn't used for long as they used 2 phono preamps for stereo through the mentioned added switch.

Fisher control center.jpg Fisher control center2.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I replaced a half dozen capacitors in the AM80 tuner, used deoxit where needed, replaced 4 tubes and cleaned it up a little. I still need to replace the multi section filter cap. Bringing it up on a variac the tuner came to life at about 80 volts. At 100V the tuner played very well and is one of the most sensitive AM tuners I've used. All controls work as they should. One problem is the tuning meter, which is at zero when not in use, goes to full scale when the tuner is on. I'll have to address that later. The phono and 2 aux inputs on the rear, which appear to be in all AM80's, were never wired at the factory which leads me to believe Fisher knew it was going into this console.

AM80 lit up.jpg AM80 rear.jpg

Last edited:
hm, meter pegged full negative usually means the AVC line is full negative. I've not run into that situation and also had good performance from the tuner. Does that thing use a tube as a meter driver/buffer circuit? Could be a problem there.

hm, meter pegged full negative usually means the AVC line is full negative. I've not run into that situation and also had good performance from the tuner. Does that thing use a tube as a meter driver/buffer circuit? Could be a problem there.

Hi Gadget,
Uses a 6C4 tube. I've yet to check the resistors or pot between the meter and ground.

AM80meter.pdf

Attachments

• AM80meter.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom