1956-57 University S-6 Master pair...

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I picked up a "pair" of 1956-57 University S-6 Master speakers at a garage sale. I am a collector and I love this stuff, but I am struggling with a decision...

One cabinet is mahogany, stained a very maroon color with a black and gold grill cloth. One cabinet is blond stained golden-pine-ish and it has a wine colored grill cloth. Only one of them has the original front "University" badge.
Both have the N-3 Baton crossover, but they have different escutcheons for the back pots.
-I know that when these were sold "stereo" had not hit the market...

Do I restore them to look like a pair ( matching cabinets, matching grill cloth, matching pot trim) ? Or, do I keep them original in "as found" condition?
They sound wonderful, but look sub-par... Should I worry about future value?

I personally would put new matching veneer and cloth on them and replace one or both of the escutcheons if you can find them on ePay. It is my opinion that in their current condition if sold as a set the value would be lower than a restored matching set. Hang onto any original parts if possible. Just my 2 cents, good luck.
:worthless

Do a search on ePay now for "University Speakers" in vintage electronics and you will find 3 sets of escutcheons for about $20 each.

Last edited:
Do I restore them to look like a pair ( matching cabinets, matching grill cloth, matching pot trim) ?

This. Part of the fun in those days was mixing and matching drivers to cabinets, often but not always from different manufacturers. Seems a large part of the goal was to have sound he would like coming from furniture she would like.

Do a search on ePay now for "University Speakers" in vintage electronics and you will find 3 sets for about $20 each.

I didn't find a single S-6 current or completed. I do agree though that :worthless

I love University stuff and would like to see these.

pics

They are upside down, but here they are, in all their glory!

Attachments

• university 021.jpg
    university 021.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 236
  • university 022.jpg
    university 022.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 217
  • university 023.jpg
    university 023.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 180
  • university 024.jpg
    university 024.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 186
Major score. If it were me, I would make them match.

Heck, I'd probably reverse one of the baffles to mirror image them while I was at it.

acoustic baton...

Only one has the "Acoustic Baton" brass plate, but both have the acoustic baton n-3 crossover. I believe the acoustic baton is just the crossover. I found advertisements for these in a 1957 High Fidelity magazine, they were called the "Master" S-6 model.

The baffle on one is already reversed... I am so anxious to get them into my system, I am going to postpone the cabinet and grill work. Right now I am only going to cloth over the huge bottom port...

I am curious as to why the front baffle is reversed. My guess would be that someone purchased the KEN-15 KwiKit and assembled the cabinet and mounted the baffle opposite of how it should be from the factory, which is on the right hand side, judging from the pictures shown. In addition to the crossovers have you checked the drivers in both cabinets to see if they match? As for the escutcheons on the back it may be a possibility that the single plate version was discontinued when supplies were depleted and they used 2 plates going forward, just a WAG. Either way you look at it you have a nice set of speakers there. Let us know how they sound. Here is a link that has some good information on University speakers. See the 1957 catalog at the bottom of the page.

http://www.hifilit.com/University/University.htm

I am listening to a pair mint 1962 University's that I picked up for 3.00$ each, They are my favorite speakers, so smooth. I started to dig into them to re-cap, but they were so tight and well put together I decided to just continue to enjoy them just the way they are. I wish I could identify the model! They are very heavy,24"HX13 1/2" WX11 1/2" D. they sure are pretty!!

I am curious as to why the front baffle is reversed. My guess would be that someone purchased the KEN-15 KwiKit and assembled the cabinet and mounted the baffle opposite of how it should be from the factory, which is on the right hand side, judging from the pictures shown. In addition to the crossovers have you checked the drivers in both cabinets to see if they match? As for the escutcheons on the back it may be a possibility that the single plate version was discontinued when supplies were depleted and they used 2 plates going forward, just a WAG. Either way you look at it you have a nice set of speakers there. Let us know how they sound. Here is a link that has some good information on University speakers. See the 1957 catalog at the bottom of the page.

http://www.hifilit.com/University/University.htm

All drivers match, but the mid horn on one is cast, and the other is roll-formed or stamped... the baffle that is reversed= my guess is the same... The guy I got these from said that he bought them from the original owner. One looks very professionally built, the other looks like it was copied... possibly a couple years later when Stereophonic came on seen...

Back
Top Bottom