1958 RCA VCR-244 Superheterodyne Console

I have a similar RCA, and though the tuner is a series string, it has a power transformer too. Only AC/DC chassis I've seen with a built in isolating transformer.. you can see that one has its location marked on the chassis too.

There's a pair of the remote speakers for this thing on ebay. The guy says they are 4 ohm. But I don't see that anywhere in his pics. I guess he could have measured them.

My son says I might be able to do something with the bridge and make 8 ohm speakers work.

I seen some 4 way speakers on craigslist. They were 8 ohm. Could I EASILY make something like that work?

I just found some car speakers I have. They are 4 ohm. They are 2-way. Just as a temporary thing, could I do away with all the cabinet speakers and hook these up. One to each set of wires. Would it sound any better than the originals?

Forgive my ignorance. Im trying to learn,,,lol.

I built houses. Not electronics,,,lol.

Attachments

• 20170221_193105[1].jpg
    20170221_193105[1].jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170221_193115[1].jpg
    20170221_193115[1].jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 11
Do you have a model number on that amplifier? Usually it was rubber stamped someplace on it. Maybe someone here knows that particular amp and what speakers it was designed around.

If its a 3 channel amp, you'll need to connect 3 speakers to it. Those were usually set up so the left and right were highs only, and the center was the bass driver. Look for a pair of small speakers and one big speaker inside the box to confirm.

I thought that it was three channel also,,,, a previous poster (Post 2) thought it was half (of a two cabinet stereo set), with a 2nd amplifier in the missing cab... the last picture in the 1st post, shows a big (12-15") center speaker, with a 6x9 mounted on one side and a cutout for another on the other,,, you can just make out a magnet, it seems, under the cutout,,,, speaker must be on the floor of the cab...
I'd count the output transformers on the chassis you have, if there are 3 of them its all on one chassis, if only one or two, an extension cab is missing for stereo...

This is a 3-channel SE 6BQ5 amp. Lots of wax caps underneath and a small fuse wire that is not well marked, so be sure to catch that otherwise you might be scratching your head for a while if it blows and you are not aware of it.

I want to thank you guys for helping out a newbie. I hate it when I don't know what I'm talking about,,,,lol.

So here's what I have.

It is a RS 189A amp.

I assume this is in fact a 3 channel?

It has a 12" center speaker. Is that considered a woofer?

It has 2x 5x7 speakers that are bad. I have them temporarily replaced with some car speakers that don't sound too good.

It has 2x tweeters.

Right now all that is hooked up is the car speakers and the bass. It sounds worse than before.

So I read that you could replace the 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm and you just wouldn't have as much power. Is that true.

Could I just hook up 2 remote speakers and do away with the speakers in the cabinet. Or does the amp need them. Would that work and sound ok.

I have found all kinds of stuff on cl in my price range. But they are all 8 ohm.

Please advise. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170222_112501[1].jpg
    20170222_112501[1].jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170222_112617[1].jpg
    20170222_112617[1].jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170222_112627[1].jpg
    20170222_112627[1].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170222_114350[1].jpg
    20170222_114350[1].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170222_114540[1].jpg
    20170222_114540[1].jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes, 3-channel. See posts above with schematic link. Left & Right stereo mid-bass & tweeter; center bass.

You can use external speakers instead of the console ones. I have one that was already removed from a console.

RCA_SE_3-channel_EL84_Front_0.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't keep it a 3 channel, it won't have any sort of bass to speak of. The way these worked, the bass went to the large woofer, and the mids and highs went to the smaller ones on the left and right. There is a crossover in there, and the way the amp is probably designed it would be almost impossible to change it to a "normal" stereo amplifier.

If this has never been worked on since new, it probably has some other ailments that need attention beyond just the speaker being bad. That may be why it doesn't sound so hot.

If you don't keep it a 3 channel, it won't have any sort of bass to speak of. The way these worked, the bass went to the large woofer, and the mids and highs went to the smaller ones on the left and right. There is a crossover in there, and the way the amp is probably designed it would be almost impossible to change it to a "normal" stereo amplifier.

If this has never been worked on since new, it probably has some other ailments that need attention beyond just the speaker being bad. That may be why it doesn't sound so hot.

It sounded best with the original set of speakers except the one that had the broken wires on it. I replaced that with a 8 ohm speaker out of a mid 60's Admiral console.

So if I want to replace just the console speakers for now, do I just swap out the 5x7's. Are they a full range? Could I put in something cheap from walmart like a 2-way or 3-way?

This amplifier has low power, and needs to be used with high efficiency speakers designed for low powered amplifiers, or it's going to sound bad. Those speakers you used are designed for solid state amplifiers with some guts, and will sound bad for sure hooked up to this old RCA.

If you want to do this really cheaply, forget Wal-Mart and go to a wrecking yard and get some OEM 5x7s out of an old domestic car made before about 1990. You want the ones with the paper cones and paper suspension, nothing with a plastic cone or foam suspension. A whizzer cone is a plus. I forget who used 5x7 but it's an automotive size for sure.. Old car radios had low power amplifiers, and their OEM speakers were designed for this, just like your RCA.

I MIGHT be considering pulling the amps and doing the exposed bare amp showing.

Is that something I could do with this unit.

What is it called so I can google it to see some set ups.

Yes, it looks like you can pull you can the amp and use it stand alone.(with some ingenuity) But it still needs to be used in a similar 3-way speaker configuration, so if it were mine, and the bass speaker worked well, and the cabinet was in good shape...I would just find good replacements for the other speakers, find a sane way to mount them all in the cabinet and maybe remove the TT and replace it if it's giving you a hard time.

Also, you might consider doing the routine maintenance of changing the caps before judging anything in terms of "how it sounds"

If you find the right speakers and get it setup nice... that little box will rock the house. I have a similar Motorola 3 way amp, I'm still regretting not saving the console (it was kinda trashed) I think if you gut it, you will be in the same situation as me, you will have a cool little amp that you hardly ever use because it's supposed to be in a specific console. I could probably live without the tuner is well, depending on what all it controls, it looks to me like it might have passive preamp controls, so you might get away with disconnecting the hot chassis tuner... In summary, if it were mine, I would get all the speakers and amp working, in the box and call it a day, if the TT was decent, bonus. :)

Last edited:
Ya. I think I'm over the wild hair idea of pulling the amp. My kid tells me it's above my skill level and financial level. He's right. He thinks I should sell it and get some studio monitors.

But. Part of the reason I got this is because I think it's a cool piece of furniture. It's nostalgic. And I like it. So I'm going to try to keep it.

I got a hold of one of the first bosses I ever had 40 years ago when I was 16. Funny thing is he had a tv repair shop. He was going to groom me to maybe take over the shop.

Well he caught me blowing up used tubes with the tube tester. :naughty: Told me to find a new job.

That ended my electronics career. I've forgot everything I ever learned.

Bah, blah, blah. Sorry.

The record player is messing up and it's got a humming, then a pop and some sounds like radio static but I don't think it is.

He said he'll come over and look it it if I just leave it alone. Restore the cabinet if I want. So now I'm just waiting to see what he says.

It is cool furniture! And a cool tube amp! Tell your friend that you want to remove the tuner and turntable completely, add some phono and line input Jack's instead. have him do a re-cap on the amp and help you find 2 suitable 5x7 or comparable speakers on eBay.

Done deal, you can have a cool old (and space efficient) retro console that you can use in today's world. :) cut a piece of wood and cover the holes. , Add a better turntable and an used smartphone :) (you can probably keep that turntable if you don't have a better one, but I would get one from the 70s-80s instead, that one probably works but might need a new needle.)

P.s. the humming and the pop are a sure sign of bad capacitors, you might want to refrain from plugging it in as much as possible, until you guys can switch out the caps.

I think someone linked you to the Sam's photofact and schematics and stuff, print those out for your friend, it will make the initial inspection much faster and efficient.

Last edited:
So far I'm coming up blank on some proper speakers.

I went to the junkyard as suggested. Anything with the right size was shot. I tried 2 different yards.

So I went to ebay and found some NOS Ford speakers. These will bolt right in. But he want $16 a piece for them. Free shipping.

Surely I could find something better for $32?

What do you guys think.

s-l1600.jpg

I have another friend who had a tv shop back in the day. He is letting me try some speakers out. They are 8 ohm. But only 5w. Will these be ok? Or would I be better of with the Ford speakers. Or something newer.

What wattage do I need.

He also had a couple of tube testers he let me borrow. :cool:

Attachments

• 20170224_143601[1].jpg
    20170224_143601[1].jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170224_143614[1].jpg
    20170224_143614[1].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170224_142812[1].jpg
    20170224_142812[1].jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 11