1960 Vintage Newcomb/Cleveland Dual Cone 12" Drivers for Open Baffle

SanJoseMichael

Picked these speakers up yesterday, they looked perfect for open baffles (I've been swapping vintage drivers in and out of open baffles lately, and I've been impressed by the results. Been having fun groveling up the crusty and the ancient and the ugly drivers from thrift shops, estate sales, old console pulls, etc.)

Founded in 1937 in Hollywood, Newcomb Audio Products designed, built and distributed record transcription players that would accommodate records with a diameter of 16". Electrical transcriptions are special phonograph recordings made exclusively for radio broadcasting, widely used during the "Golden Age of Radio". They provided material, from station identification jingles and commercials to full-length programs, for use by local stations, which were affiliates of one of the radio networks. Later Newcomb made and sold phonographs, most with mic inputs, and PA systems and speakers for commercial, industrial, and educational markets. I saw a reference to "square dance phonographs" as well. If you are an old geezer, you may recall either Newcomb or Califone record players in your classrooms. (Remember AV club?)

I did find a 1960 Newcomb catalog that identifies these speakers as Model S-121XE Split case assembly containing two super efficiency , 60 watt 8 ohms speakers with large, aluminum-domed, 2" voice coils and integral tweeter cones, each with 25" cord, especially for use with the TR-1656M-X2. 25 pounds. List $166.00 ($1,413 in today's dollars). The TR-1656M-X2 player bundle included S-121XE speakers had a list price of $632.00 ($5,381 today)

The TR-1656M was mono player with 4 each 6V6 output tubes, with will match perfectly with my Magnavox 8802 or 175. (More info found on the web, see photos below. I do not have the player, just the speakers.)

I've found lots of reference to Newcomb phonograph speakers, many single driver and some two way, but this seem to be rarely seen. The frames are not stamped, but I have visually matched them with an auction site listing describing them as "Full Range Dual Cone Alnico Magnet 12 Inch Speakers by Cleveland" I do see LC-70 stamped on the back, and 12005-14 on the inside of the cones. (I do not find 120 as an EIA code.)

Will test them in the next day or so and report back.

20181214_134406.jpg 20181214_134511.jpg 20181214_134047.jpg newcombcat2.jpg newcombcat1.jpg TR-1656M.jpg 00101_cqyh9Q2dsc8_1200x900.jpg

Open baffle still a work in process, but the Newcombs worked out very well! After I'm done swapping drivers, I'll do the final build.

Attachments

• 20190116_124710.jpg
    20190116_124710.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
That is a hoot. When I went to college I took a surplus pair of S 212xe's with me. I believe I paid 5.00 for them at a second hand store. I ran them with a Pioneer SX 650. Sometime in the first semester I added a Motorola piezo to each as I did not need to worry about a x over and they were only a few bucks. They actually sounded pretty good and they would play loud. They were however replaced by large Advents in the beginning of my second year.

Going minimal on my latest iteration... using the (very much good) Newcombs with small horns salvaged from Zenith Allegros, one simple 4.7uf nonpolarized electrolytic makes up the "crossover".

Diana Krall SACD through a Magnavox SET and it all sounds good .

Back
Top Bottom