1960, when every single American station wagon was a stunningly beautiful work of art

I remember when my parents sold the '56 Ford station wagon and bought a '59 Merc station wagon - brand new!! What a boat that thing was!

I remember riding in my uncle's Pontiac station wagon in that back facing seat...so cool. My dad's buddy, who owned the Des Moines Army/Navy store (now there was a piece of heaven for a kid) had a '63 Chevy wagon white/red that almost became mine when he was ready to sell it.

We had the wagon of all wagons, a Volkswagen station wagon,lol.me I would love one of these beasts.
autowp.ru_pontiac_executive_safari_station_wagon_1.jpg

The only thing cooler would of been that wagon with the vista cruiser roof.What our parents allowed us to do in those wagons would get them arrested today,lol.Its really a shame that the super pratical wagon has been replaced by those stupid minivans.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-15_17-26-4.png
    upload_2016-10-15_17-26-4.png
    878.2 KB · Views: 16
We had a 57 Chev Belaire SW which was the first car I remember. Stout rig! My Mom loaded us kids into it and drove down the Alcan Hwy from Fairbanks Alaska to Seattle for the 1962 worlds fair. I remember how smooth that pavement was after 1500 miles of horrible gravel road!

Beauty is apparently in the eye of the beholder ...

Here's a 60 Comet wagon ...

co600203.jpg

CC-53-026-800.jpg

Anyway ... Had me one of those - kind of a mini tank it was. Real solid little machine.

nice cars .. that is what we call estate cars ..my daily driver is 96 ford mondeo estate . nothing like as fancy as those ones .

Point of order ... my post seems to be the only one with a 1960 wagon in it ... :dunno:

Beauty is apparently in the eye of the beholder ...

Here's a 60 Comet wagon ...

co600203.jpg

MUCH preferred the "chink eye" treatment of the sedan.

CC-53-026-800.jpg

PS ... can we still say "chink eye"? o_O

Anyway ... Had me one of those - kind of a mini tank it was. Real solid little machine.
I likes the old Comets and Falcons. They could be had with a 170ci 6 that would get great mileage (for those times) and would run forever.

i remember films on the tv and some looked like they had wallpaper on the sides . not saying it looked bad or anything .. i thought it was a good idea as it happens .

I really prefer the GM '62 lines. They all looked so finished and smooth.
Especially the Pontiac. It's lines were very nice. Also the Oldsmobile. Chevy was next. I don't remember Buick or Cad.
My parents had a '62 Chev. straight 6 wagon for a time. But they were really nuts about 6 cyl. Chevy's and I felt that ruined a nice car. So over weight and slow.
They even had the nerve to complain to Nickey Chevrolet(where they bought it) that it was too slow. They never had a V8. Too much of a race car to them.
I never had a 6 after that.
My first car after I got married in '65 was an Olds Delmont sedan with a 455. It got good mileage as it was a 2 barrel. I got 20-24 mpg. on trips.

Back
Top Bottom