1960, when every single American station wagon was a stunningly beautiful work of art

I remember when my parents sold the '56 Ford station wagon and bought a '59 Merc station wagon - brand new!! What a boat that thing was!

My grandmother bought a '59 Mercury Commuter hardtop 4-dor wagon new and I swear she was the little old lady from Pasadena....

A couple of years back, I found this beauty (`69 Buick Sport Wagon, custom) for sale on Hemmings....it sold almost immediately, before I could make a move on it..

Wagons are in big demand now. Everybody want to re-live their first love and the car they found that love in. For many of us it was in the family wagon.

A couple more for ya. Quick specs, 455, 200R4, 3.55 safe-t-track, disk brakes, big sway bars, GTO hood, Lemans grills, GTO gauges, 4-way flashers, tow package. Welded up all the trim holes and de-chromed some of it.

^^^^the 60's and early 70's wagons shared the same front end as their muscle car siblings. Your wagon looks just as cool as the GTO. My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS 396 so I naturally dug the wagon. The SS emblems were of course not on the production wagon. I plucked this pic off the 'net.

70 wagon.jpg

Last edited:
For Sale! Check out this 283 3spd Nomad: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1961-chevrolet-nomad.1045773/

IMG_20161127_142753981_zps2vxucw1z.jpg

All of these postings show nothing but the best of the wagon type beauties. I have drooled over a majority them over my years. My favorite would have to be the Olds Vista Cruiser. I finally got a 2K version that I truly love, the Dodge Magnum. Power plus looks.

0993549a7b285d2bdba23e9ba2269546.jpg

All of these postings show nothing but the best of the wagon type beauties. I have drooled over a majority them over my years. My favorite would have to be the Olds Vista Cruiser. I finally got a 2K version that I truly love, the Dodge Magnum. Power plus looks.

Nice ride ! You don`t see many of them around my neck of the woods....

Bought mine new, '06 R/T in bright silver metallic. Fun car,looks great.Handling/braking/acceleration/factory radio all excellent.
Although this car is quite reliable overall (for a Chrysler product!) I hope you are a mechanic:naughty:

The original front end parts are all made of marshmallows,so don't use factory parts,or else you'll just get really good at replacing them.Go with Moog or better.
For part of this operation, the factory manual (and most shops) say that you have to remove the fender cross brace. Not true if you have small paws and the right wrench.

If your transmission starts going into limp mode,you'll have to change the contact plate (it sits on top of the valve body). It will also show a turbine speed sensor code.
Not difficult or expensive to do yourself.I did my own on big ramps in the driveway just before Christmas.

If you disable the ESP system (and I am NOT advocating breaking any laws or driving like an a**hole on public roads:no:) you're in for some serious fun.

There's nothing an idiot in a ''tipped'' Civic with a sideways ball cap ever expects less than being smoked by an old guy wearing a Fedora,Benny Goodman going full blast,roaring past him like he's sitting still; IN A STATION WAGON. Priceless:rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom