1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

1963 Fisher Ambassador V find

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by nickdinatale, Apr 14, 2018.

1. nickdinatale

nickdinatale AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked this up today at an estate sale. Brought it home, cleaned out the large dust bunnies running free in the back, used a little DeOxit, replaced a busted 12ax7, and brought it up on a variac.

Unfortunately, the Italian Provincial isn't really to my taste. I'm sort of considering taking the pre/tuner and using it in conjunction with some 100AZ monoblocks that I'm getting close to being done with. The only issue there is that I'd have to rig up some sort of power supply since it gets everything from the power amp.

IMG_6879.JPG
    IMG_6876.JPG
    IMG_6878.JPG
    IMG_6877.JPG

Leland47 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ojamajoe

Ojamajoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is a nice find! What turntable does it come with?

I hear you on the Italian Privincial; but at least it's a fairly clean, masculine style appropriate for a den or office. If i'd found it, I would be tempted to make it the centerpiece of such a room....

I'd be inclined to keep the pre, tuner, and amp together; but I'm sure you'd be able to find schematics pretty easily to make them work separately. Plus, you should have no problem getting rid of the amp!

nickdinatale and jdsalinger like this.
  3. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm sure you could find someone to flip it to intact. Larry?

4. jdsalinger

jdsalinger AK Subscriber Subscriber

What's wrong with Italian provincial? Nice clean lines. Not too feminine like French provincial.
    If you squint your eyes, it kind of looks MCM.

How does it sound? Can we get a shot of the speakers? I almost bought a French Provincial Ambassador V last weekend.

drtool and Ojamajoe like this.
  5. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Everybody wants "Modern" these days... hopefully the provincial styles will come back around a be appreciated soon too.
    I have French and Italian and Modern Fisher pieces in my house, and while I am also on the Modern band-wagon, the others have that je ne sais quoi that has grown on me over the years.

Please keep the pieces together....
    I predict that in the next 20-30 years we will see a much more concentrated focus on OEM high quality consoles. The last 40 years has already produced so much parting out/gutting/mining/cannibalizing of these treasures... So even just for speculation purposes (lowest reason) please keep the pieces together. :hug:

Ojamajoe likes this.
  6. jdsalinger

I just realized my post was just a different way of quoting YOUR post. :rolleyes: I wonder if I did that subliminally.

Ojamajoe likes this.

7. Ojamajoe

I agree with the above: the quality consoles are already becoming desirable; and I think we are not long from the time when the whole will be worth more than the sum of the parts.

Also, as "modern" continues to rocket upwards in price, the Italian Provincial is likely to become more popular. It is a good looking style: clean and elegant, that both ladies and gents can enjoy.

8. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member

Retrovert, nickdinatale and drtool like this.
  9. nickdinatale

Hmm, lots of good cases here to keep it, or at least restore it and eventually get it into someone else's hands. Maybe I could even run the monoblocks as the power section without taking anything out of the console.

It has a Garrard Type A II - definitely the weak point of the console in my opinion. I actually have a Rek O Kut B12GH chassis laying around that I'm sort of tempted to try and fit in instead...

It sounds decent so far! Very light on the treble and very heavy on the bass. I think tomorrow I'm going to crack open the back of the cabinets and see what's inside. Will share photos once I do so.

10. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The Type A was considered a fairly good changer in it's day. You can certainly do better now but in 1963 that wouldn't have been considered a weak point.

11. bean_counter

bean_counter Active Member

I'm stuffing a 12B in my console, plan put it on a slab of granite and support it underneath from the console frame. At least, every winter I say I'm going to get to it...

nickdinatale likes this.

12. nickdinatale

Here's a look at one of the speaker cabinets
    IMG_5924.JPG IMG_5923.JPG

13. jdsalinger

Alnico goodness. I bought those tweeters to replace the ones in my XP-10's

14. jdsalinger

That's exactly how my RCA console sounded, even after I recapped the power amp and signal path of the preamp. I so regret that it didn't impress me cause I loved the look and kinda wanted to have a console. RCA build quality is really under the radar, (but Fisher is better, I'd say). I just didn't have it in me to dig any further so I pulled the power amp (which sounded very very nice).
    Couldn't justify listening to light treble and heavy bass when I've experienced flat, airy sound stage. Still, there's regret for parting it out. I still have the console and may install full range drivers and a SE tube amp some day.

15. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Try replacing the caps on the speaker crossover and see if that brings back the highs.

16. 1ontop=

1ontop= Active Member

Eccellente! :bigok:

17. Ojamajoe

Those are some fine looking speakers. Not that I'm surprised...

18. fredtroy

fredtroy Member

Looks line an SA16 amp? If it is, that's a great amp, but if you ever decide to run it without the tuner and preamp, the voltages will be high, which can be corrected with a resistor change. It will work with higher voltages but you will be running the 12ax7's outside of their operating parameters.

19. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

FredTroy; The Amp is the Model 680A which is a P-P 7591 Amp. Short of a SA-300-B in the President it's the best PURE AMP FISHER made for 1963.

To the OP. I agree with the comments above with regard to keeping it together. Prices are on the rise even for upper mid level consoles, and the Ambassador falls into that category. Recap the crossovers, it's the REAL WEAK LINK in FISHER Consoles (don't ask me how I know....I've only got 9 FISHER Console's in the House). Test the tweeters while you're at it, you may have 1 or 2 dead ones.

nickdinatale likes this.
  20. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Larry,

Only 9?

You're not working hard enough.

:rflmao:

nickdinatale likes this.