1963 Fisher President VIII 8000 Console

Thanks Larry! Do you happen to know of any good Fisher service shops in CA? Or is changing caps something I could do myself?

Theoretically you could do it yourself. BUT!!! These aren't unit's that you would learn on. I don't want to dissuade you from it but once you look inside you'll see what I mean. The 400-CX2 is really crowded and should be sent to a shop for work on any scale unless you have tube experience. The SA-300 isn't that crowded but all of them are INTERMEDIATE to ADVANCED level units for hobbiest repairs. Don't mess with the tuner. Leave it to a shop. If you want it done right the 1st time and by someone who knows the 400C and CX/CX2 intimately, then send it and the SA-300 to Dave Gillespie. He's in Atlanta area so shipping ain't gonna be cheap. He'll also be able to set up, and align the tuner and multiplexer using a FISHER 300 tuner and Multiplex alignment rig.

Check around the AK site and find a couple guys from the BAY AREA who have Tube Testers. Get the tubes all checked 1st before you do anything else. rufleruf is in Oakland. I think he has at least one tube checker. He might know someone closer to you even. Mark the tubes with a piece of masking tape and the position of each on the tube position page in the manual. Make a list with the chassis' separated. Tuner is V1 thru V10, PREAMP is V1 thru V10, and the AMP is V1 thru V8. put that chassis's tubes in a ziplock bag with TUNER, PREAMP, or AMP marked clearly on the bag. If the guy comes to you, then pull each chassis and line them up on a towel on top and mark them with tape and put V1 thru V? on each tube. Do for all chassis. The Multiplexer chassis is the 3 tube chassis in the front center of the tuner. The tubes are V100-V101-V102. Put these 3 in a separate bag. Pull one tube at a time, test and put back in socket. Then do the next one. IF ANY show a WHITE GETTER it's DEAD, open to atmosphere, and a new tube is required. Make a note as to tube number and type (ie: 5ar4, 12ax7, etc.)

There should be a couple of guys in the Bay area(I'm in Baltimore so don't know who for sure) who are AK'ers that could possibly take a look at the SA-300, the CX-2, and maybe the R-200 just to make sure they are safe for you to start it up and play (with you in room with unit). They might even be able to take them on for you. Be a bit less expensive than a shop for a complete restoration. Figure on 2K for complete restoration on all 3 in a shop. Somewhat less for an AK'er. Dave might be cheaper too, but he's the acknowledged FISHER MASTER here on AK. You can have the shop just check it out for operation and repair what's not working also. But the units will need a complete restoration shortly down the road.

Tom ISHIMOTO is in SIMI VALLEY. He does really good work. Check with Vendo81 on his work. I think he's sent a couple pieces to Tom.
PACIFIC STEREO (that's his handle) is in the high desert near Edwards. He does excellent work. You can get his info on www.tapeheads.net.
Terry DeWick is in Knoxville area but he's concentrating on Macintosh stuff lately. So He's out.
I've run out of names (or working brain cells).

Larry

I just knew Larry would be the man in the know, and be of help when it comes to what to do with vintage Fisher stuff. :)

Wow Larry!! You are full of useful knowledge!! Thanks so much. I reached out to Dave to see about getting it serviced.

OMG THAT IS GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations on getting such a beautiful example. I like how it really looks like a cabinet all closed up. Of course, opening those doors will require more real estate. I have maybe 2 walls in my whole house where something that massive could fit. Does it have the remote and maybe a spacexpander?

How was the rest of the house? I always wonder what the "original habitats" of these large, expensive consoles was. Definitely living large in the early 60's.

Really, don't mess around. Have it worked on professionally. One and done. It'll save you time, money and headache in the long run.

Thanks, the original owner was a meticulous fellow who keep all his stuff pristine! Literally all his electronics (cameras, audio etc.) where in mint condition. The house was in the hills of Monterey Ca, overlooking the bay. Music was his thing though as he had a few Fisher units.

I am going back today, didnt see the remote but Im sure it is around. Did find the Dual mic with stand that plugs into the recorder though.

Omegaman, I see you are from Scottsdale. We are moving to Hereford AZ in two months. Do you have any good recommendations on guys that work on these tubes in AZ? If not, Ill likely lean towards Classic Audio Repair in San Diego.

<gasps>, You are bringing that beautiful console here?

Hereford is way south of me but if you don't get it fixed up before you get to AZ....please....give me a call

Ill be down there just prior to Christmas! If you ever want to check it out just let me know. I am sure I could learn a lot from our visit as I am a day and a half old in this tube amp world. I do love great sounding music though but my stuff setup was and Onkyo TX-NR 646 with B&W CM6/Center 2. But, I am excited to hear the what the original tube technology sounds like!

Consoles are a big responsibility, like owning a St. Bernard dog

I have said in the past many times "You don't buy a console, you adopt them"

It just so happens you have the 1956 Mercedes gull wing version

but in french provincial

I restored a 1963 Fisher executive receiver in 2014, and it is still running strong. Sir Larry and Sir Dave were a big help in that

Last edited:
Saint Johnny; See my comment on Naval Aviators and Air Farce Pilots on the D&S thread. (it's clean!)

DRW; The only reason Omegaman used my name is I've got a 63 Executive in Italian provincial. :D:D. It was Buglegirls, and is now complete with an AMPEX 1250 R2R. $1750 in '63. Accounting for Inflation $ 14192.67 in 2017. Your President was $2695 (List) in 1963. Today it would cost a whopping $ 21919.33!!

Last edited:
So he's a "Nasal Radiator" who has to land on a moving runway, at night, in inclement weather, bingo fuel, with his airframe built by the lowest bidder

He seems like a nice guy

Which means he smarter and has a bigger pair than the average Air Farce Pilot who needs a 10000 ft runway to land an Cessna L-19 (Bird dog) or a Piper Cub. Most of the N.A.'s (95%) are good guys. I've met a few that were lets say, less than socially acceptable (remember TopGUN CO onboard ship?). They weren't housebroken either. This guy's a good one, he knows his limitations and asks questions of the Senior Enlisted. Good officers are made by Good Senior Enlisted. Chief's actually run the NAVY. They just let the Officers think the Officer's do.

Last edited:
For the record I was officially qualified in High altitude and ejection seat training. I rode the rail and went stupid at 30,000 feet in the chamber

like 37 years ago?

I went for Sub Scol in '75 and had to get in the chamber for a ride to 200ft depth. Had a head cold at the time and informed the Flight surgeon running the chamber. His response was "get in the Damned Chamber and ride it out". Aye Aye Sir. Pressure got to about 85 ft and my sinuses blew out all over his precious chamber. Blood all over the place. They brought it back to sea level, and I went to the E.R. (wasn't gonna let him touch me!) and the Capt (O-6) asked me what happened and I told him. Let's just say that the Flight surgeon got his F.S. ticket pulled, had to clean the chamber, not delegate it to the enlisted, and got put on restriction to the clinic, and the BOQ for 60 days. No visitors except in the line of duty. He resigned shortly there after.

I got another try later and passed, went to subscol, and rode a boomer 3 patrols out of Charleston S.C.

Thanks, the original owner was a meticulous fellow who keep all his stuff pristine! The house was in the hills of Monterey Ca, overlooking the bay. Music was his thing though as he had a few Fisher units.

Off topic but....Why do I keep hearing this in my head?

I just took some more pictures as you guys recounted the good ole military days, wishing you had been in the Navy instead of the chair force :)
Is there a way to tell from the pictures if the amp was already been recapped?

Attachments

• Amp2.jpg
    Amp2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Pre Amp.jpg
    Pre Amp.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Tuner Back.jpg
    Tuner Back.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Accessories.jpg
    Accessories.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Finish.jpg
    Finish.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 57
Front, the three brass knob covers glue failed and they fell of but accounted for.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom