1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

1964 The Fisher Regent - to Buy or Not?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Kasanay, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

I have an opportunity to buy a nice looking Regency, but before I do, I'd like to get some opinions.

From what I have read, this unit has a 400-CX-2 preamp, a R-200 tuner, and a TA-900 solid state power amp. It also has the Miracord 10 TT and a Ampex 1250 R2R.

It looks like the tuner and the preamp draw top dollar on eBay but I've only seen them as stand-alone components. Do these consoles hold their value or would I be better off putting the units in their own cases?

I have only taken a quick look at it - I'll get a better look in a couple of days. Is there anything I should I look out for?

I have never owned a R2R, so I won't waste any time inspecting that.
    Would this TT be something usable, or just for show? Would you swap the TT out with something better/ different?
    The price is $280. Too much? Good find? Great deal? I'm not sure.
    Any comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dude: $280?????

Well, I don't think you wanna tell anyone where this thing is.

And you really don't need a better look. Just give the guy the money and ask questions later.

You sure it's $280 and not $2,800?

3. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

Dude: $280?????

Well, I don't think you wanna tell anyone where this thing is.

And you really don't need a better look. Just give the guy the money and ask questions later.

You sure it's $280 and not $2,800?

Seriously?
    It's that good??? Cool!
    I left the place when he said he'd take $350.
    When I got home I looked it up and called him back. I said I was interested and was that the bottom price? He says "l'll take $280". I said "I'll take it". I pick it up in two days. I hope this deal doesn't fall apart!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

You could have only done better if you'd have gotten a PRESIDENT in the MODERN CABINET!!!! The Regent was a 2 year Model for 1963 and 1964 dropping the Executive to 3rd place in the lineup for those 2 years. '64 to 66 were the tube to Solid State Transistional years and FISHER Started at the top. Or next to it. So the TA-900 was a 1964 to 1966 1st Gen Console ONLY Amp. See below for WPC. By 1967 Model year Solid State Receivers at the Upper end of the lineup were supposedly stable enough to be able to run the Upper End consoles, Fisher using slightly modified versions of their stand-alone receivers to power their consoles.

If you manage to get a Service Manual, epecially the TA-900 section, please, PLEASE, scan and send to Jon or Carter in the Contact Us Link at the FISHER CONSOLES Site. This is one of those RARE one's that needs to be preserved, even if it IS a French Provincial model. The Miracord is every bit as good and some say better than a DUAL of the Day (1009-1019). And the AMPEX 1250 (F-44) is one of the better 60's to Early 70's Machines. You can still get parts for it. The belts may or may not need replacing. The motor will need cleaning and re-Oiling. It's one of those big overbuilt industrial sized motors from the 50's designed to run damn near forever. There's 2-3 of each in the R2R. 12ax7, 12au7, 12at7, ex-81. All the heads and the tape path should need is some 91% Isoproply Alcohol on some Q-tips, DeMagnetizing, and you'll be ready to go. Get a few pre-recorded tapes done @ 7-1/2 and if you think CD's are great, buddy you don't know what you're missing.

The FM200 and the 400CX-2 in the console are the same as the stand-alones except for the rubber feet (lack of them). I would get them cleaned up, rehabbed, and in the case of the FM200B, a full alignment. The TA-900 is the unknown here. Apparently it's the largest Hybrid amp FISHER Built and it's a mystery for the most part. We know it was used only in the 1964 to 1966 President, and 1964 Regent II. Supposed to be 120Watts EIA (Total Peak Watts). RMS Approximation is about 20w-25w per Channel. But I would NOT push it THAT HARD. The Output's are Germanium, and are a bit more sensitive, harder to come by, and way more expensive than Silicon transistors so be extremely careful with it. If you get the Service manual with TA-900 Section, Fred Soop might be able to help with it should any problems arise.
    Old Pic of the TA-900

1964-66 TA-900 Amp.jpg

You got yourself a hell of a console. Clean it up, rehabilitate it, get it all working and USE IT! Use the Tape Deck, Use the Miracord.
    The manuals for the Miracord and the AMPEX are available on HIFIEngine and VinylEngine. You need to register but it's free.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    KentTeffeteller likes this.
  5. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

All I can say is DAMN!!! Worth every penny of $280. Regents don't pop up often and this is a beauty.

Been a long time since a top - end Fisher console was "discovered".

All the best with it!

6. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fingers crossed you you buddy!

If this happened to me, I would have said, "Here's $400 if you let me carry it on my back NOW!"

Good luck!!

7. larryderouin

$2,095.00 (1964) = $16,443.87 (2017) and it looks like the AMPEX R2R was Standard Equipment.

8. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

That means I paid about $35.67 (in 1964 money) for it!

9. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

Thanks guys for the great information!
    I'll let you know how this comes out.
    (I may not be able to sleep tonight)

10. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

She's home!!!
    IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4210.JPG IMG_4206.JPG

Leland47 likes this.
  11. rufleruf

rufleruf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not the jealous sort - but dang! I've been contemplating a 400 CX 2 for a while and well, dang!

Leland47 likes this.
  12. larryderouin

That AMPEX should fire up with minimal Maintenance. Oil the motor, check the belts, clean the heads, and throw the switch. HUBBA HUBBA! :music:Oh yeah, Use a larger intake reel.

Matt; you can HAVE the CX-2! I love that tuner! :thumbsup:

13. rshep

rshep Working my way to 1000 posts Subscriber

That Ampex 1250 looks sweet. Probably full of premium tubes.

14. bhamham

bhamham AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lucky dog!

15. larryderouin

Probably Sylvania's. But could be Tele's if stocks were enough at the time. FISHER stopped using Tele's by 1965 as a general rule. My AMPEX A-122 came with Tele's and Sylvanaia's mixed, The AMPEX 960 came with Sylvania's an Tele's. And my AMPEX1270 came with tele rectifiers. Best bet to get Tele's were during Eisenhower to end of Kennedy presidencies.

16. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

I haven't had a chance to dig yet.
    Maybe tonight.

17. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

If you're really lucky, there will be Amperex mC1 foil getter 12AX7s in the tape recorder. I've had a few 960s loaded that way

18. larryderouin

Apparently Fisher got the decks from AMPEX without tubes other than the rectumfrier. They loaded them with tubes from their stocks based on what i've seen from straight AMPEX vs. Decks taken from consoles.

19. Kasanay

Kasanay Active Member

So here's a little side story:
    While I was picking this baby up, (from an estate sales warehouse) I spotted a receiver on the floor and I snatched it. It's a Marantz 2270. The owner says he'll take $75.00 for it. I bought it but then sold it to another customer before I even paid for it. Let's just say a made VERY nice proffit!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  20. asech

asech Active Member