1968 Sansui question

jkcoondog3

I own a sansui 5000 which was made in 1968. It has the boards that are suppose to be prone to failure. It still works today. I am not the original owner. If these boards are prone to failure, does anyone on AK know or heard of anyone that had their sansui catch on fire or blow up? I haven't seen any posts of owners claiming their sansui's failed because they had these boards. Thanks and have a nice day.

Can't remember if it was the 4000 or the 5000 that had the badly designed boards, but there was a service bulletin out on it with a fix other than the replacement boards.. IIRC there was a large capacitor (or two) mounted on the inboard back panel, and some wire re-routing to accomodate the caps. Search 5000 mods.

Sansui "recalled" the 5000 to replace the driver boards. They were prone to failure. Use the search function to search for Sansui 5000 driver board. There are many threads on the topic. Sansui continued to replace the boards for free well into the 1980s. The original board number is F-1040. The replacement board number is F-6013. Check to see which you have.

If you have the old boards, they can be upgraded. There are several threads on that modification. You also may be able to find a pair of the upgraded boards from a donor unit.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom