1969 HOOD AMP REPRO

Well actually is that (class D car amp) considered a chip amp? I get so confused with all the newer stuff.

Well actually is that (class D car amp) considered a chip amp? I get so confused with all the newer stuff.
The chip amps that use class 'D' switch mode operation are class 'D' of course. There are linear mode amps that use a modular output like STK power packs. The high power auto and newer AV stuff is usually switch mode. I had a switch mode Blaupunkt Key West dash unit on my Gold Wing that sounded harsh, I avoided this stuff for years after that experience. The new TI based stuff sounds good on non radio sources.

Mine is a PPI 900.5 5 channel amp. It sounds pretty darn good actually. Very nice punch on all channels. But it just kills the FM, unfortunately. I hear they all do though.

I'm frankly delighted with the Chi-Fi digital chip amps, this is an experiment in something different, but hopefully equally pleasing within the limitations.

This thing is a real workhorse. I bet I could drive my truck over it and it'd still work.

Though 'ATM' I have no plans of doing that.. Meanwhile the sound remains strong.

Hi...I'm a few days late to the party, but I've been looking at a Nobsound 1969 complete amplifier "perfect" version (1996 update?) Is it your sense that this amp is not suitable for a daily driver? I read the following on an Amazon review:

" ...be aware though that this unit has no protection circuitry whatsoever: If you handle this thing improperly, you absolutely can and will kill yourself; same as any class A amp, handling and operation of this unit requires caution. Just be careful, keep it in a place with proper airflow, keep it firmly out of the reach of children or pets, and you should be just fine.

In conclusion I'd like to say that this is a very good amp, which punches far above it's price class. If you want to experience the 'Hood' sound, this would be a good point to start. This amp is probably not suited for day-to-day use as your main system, or even a desktop system - but it's perfect for a dedicated small space where you can take some time and relax to this amp's wonderful smooth sound."

I think the owner is confused as to "protection circuitry", but does the heat render this unit unusable or dangerous to run 24/7?

Thanks for any insight.

CF

Well, mine has finally been sent by the seller a month and a few days after payment. Hopefully I'll have it soonish.

I'm still waiting for shipping after ordered on 2nd March.

Hah, I ordered mine 14th Feb..... Crazy slow. On the upside part of the delay was that the face plate had been scratched so they had to fix that up first before sending. I want it looking perfect :)

Hi...I'm a few days late to the party, but I've been looking at a Nobsound 1969 complete amplifier "perfect" version (1996 update?) Is it your sense that this amp is not suitable for a daily driver? I read the following on an Amazon review:

" ...be aware though that this unit has no protection circuitry whatsoever: If you handle this thing improperly, you absolutely can and will kill yourself; same as any class A amp, handling and operation of this unit requires caution. Just be careful, keep it in a place with proper airflow, keep it firmly out of the reach of children or pets, and you should be just fine.

In conclusion I'd like to say that this is a very good amp, which punches far above it's price class. If you want to experience the 'Hood' sound, this would be a good point to start. This amp is probably not suited for day-to-day use as your main system, or even a desktop system - but it's perfect for a dedicated small space where you can take some time and relax to this amp's wonderful smooth sound."

I think the owner is confused as to "protection circuitry", but does the heat render this unit unusable or dangerous to run 24/7?

Yeah that Amazon review isn't the most coherent thing I've ever read. Maybe he ran his with the cover open? I've also no clue as to his use stipulations--I see no reason why one couldn't use it daily and/or in near-field applications. Meanwhile I've cranked mine a few times and it has never once become unpleasantly hot; just noticeably warm to the touch. If you rest your hand right on the top of it, over the heat sinks. Though if I understand correctly a proper Class A amp will also be hot at idle. This one isn't, particularly.

Important caveat: these units are coming from different shops and as we have seen upthread they display minor variations in circuitry. This can only mean that YMMV when comparing various examples. Also important: Class A (and AB) amps should always have proper (natural) air flow, and/or one of those little silent USB fans. Mine gets by fine with just the former.

Well, mine has finally been sent by the seller a month and a few days after payment. Hopefully I'll have it soonish.

Hah, I ordered mine 14th Feb..... Crazy slow. On the upside part of the delay was that the face plate had been scratched so they had to fix that up first before sending. I want it looking perfect :)

I wonder if they're getting more popular. Mine was slow but not that slow. Perhaps I should apply for kickbacks?
index.php

Looking forward to everyone's photos & impressions.

Just ordered a Shanling EC1B CDP to run on it and picked up some Boston Acoustics A100 speakers yesterday, some Western Electric speaker wire is on order. Should so decent I think :)

Tell me if I'm wrong , the earth wire should be connected to something right? It currently is not

Congrats! The wiring looks nice and neat. I have Hi-Fi gear with just a two prong plug. Have you had it running yet?

Congrats! The wiring looks nice and neat. I have Hi-Fi gear with just a two prong plug. Have you had it running yet?

No, not yet. I wanted to check this was ok before powering on. I neither want to be electrocuted nor burn my house down. Just being cautious.

In Europe, this would fail regulations big time. I assume, everywhere in the world, nowadays.

A nice looking amp.

Yes, I find a three prong plug with only two wires to be unusual to say the least. .I may solder a wire for the ground to the chassis just to be safe.

That's a bit annoying. Let me open mine up and take a detail shot for you.

ETA: Ground wire? We don't need no stinkin' ground wire!

index.php

Yeesh... I never even thought to look....

Last edited:
Ok, so a quick question for those more electrically minded than I am. Should I run a wire from the earth to the chassis for safety?

If safety is a concern, it depends whether your power has ground connection on the wall....

For the rest, the situation always is: do you care or not. I KNOW some of my old equipment is not grounded (2 wire only) and it has rigourous safety flaws. One is my HK Citation 14 tuner which was wired up stupidly (poor workmanship). A lot of old vintage stuff has safety flaws, but they were imported during a time the regulations were not that rigorous.
I put a safety power connection on several of my amps.

Yes, we've ground on all our wall points here in Australia.

I connected the amp up briefly this afternoon It's perhaps the most pleasant sounding little SS amp I've heard. Not quite as dynamic as my tube amps or quite as 3D though nonetheless very nice indeed. It will be quite adequate for the bedroom system I bought it for. It is better than the class D chip amps I've heard. I'm thinking paired with the right DAC it will be sensational.

Back
Top Bottom