1970's listening space - Please help contribute

Don't forget your leisure suit when you are lounging in your 70s pad!

I wonder how many "Tribbles" had to give their lives to make that rug?

Either that or some business guy says to another, "Hey, we got a warehouse of old MOPS that we can't sell. Can you think of anything we can do with them?"
:D

How about a GIANT drum kit. :D

PF12.gif

Meet Neil Peart's drum kit:
rush_cg_kit_08.jpg

Great room indeed. Reminds me of my first apartment, except for the flat screen TV. TV was not a big deal for me until MTV Simulcast and other music vids came out.

Love it.

The only reason the TV is there is for the wife when she walks on the treadmill. I never turn it on, and would rather have album covers on the wall. :yes:

My girl watches tons of series on cable, I only use the tv to play beta tapes :D Or play some nintendo.
I love that thing because of its big led clock. 33 years old now and still works fine.
11aye0y.jpg

If i'd get a room for myself to decorate i would get a 70s tv like my granddad used to have: a giant wood paneled with mono sound and those high pitch noise remotes shaped like a brick.
The whole back used to light up orange and turn into a warm glow in a few minutes. If you would stand close to it it would grab all your body hair because of the enormous static electricity that tube generated.
You didn't dare touch it :D

It was this model:
100_1743.JPG

Last edited:
I know you want decor. But I cannot pass up posting this. Complete with plastic baggie and film can on coffee table. View attachment 561595
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=561595&d=1419048858

An O-scope, two open-reel decks, and a Civil Defense Geiger counter?!? WTH is going on there?

As for rotary phones, There have been touch-tone phones since the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. I remember seeing them for the first time there!

Available, yes...but touch-tone dialing was a significant upcharge well into the late 1980s in many areas. I was working for my dad's office when he finally had a multi-line touch-tone system installed, and I was born in 1978. I'm thinking that was 1989 or 1990, at least. I know of some businesses in more rural parts of Missouri that have kept using rotary phones until very recently. I had one hooked up at my last house with a land line, just for the hell of it. Nice ringer.

Last edited:
You mean like this!?! Gotta have a huge Disco Ball! Picked this up about a month ago on Craigslist. Need to get it hung up with some spot lights!

View attachment 561826

Every bonafide "70s" place had one of these!

A disco ball... :banana: .... I was actually more impressed with the high intensity spot light that often shone on these ceiling mounted mirrors.

Many of the "spot-lights" were jimmy rigged 100W bulbs in a tube..!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 116
I'm thinking of the rental trailer I once saw. One bedroom wall was covered in the 12x12 mirrors, the middle one with a green 5 pointed leaf and the slogan "Do yourself a favor".

remembering pictures from my grand dads design books as he built homes in the 70's for rich clients
there was a LOT of darker woods and brass had replaced chrome and "autumn" colours where popular and quite DEEP shades
orange tinted glass lamp shades and swag lamps
_57-2_zpse5366c55.jpg

_57_zps27e82000.jpg

built ins was popular and so was plastic
70s-interior-design-book5_zpsa2e3aab7.jpg

and wall paper was popular
100414ptarthurtx3_zps240d4e19.jpg

I would personally get some shelving/cabinets in a darker wood for your system/ focal point of the room some "puffy" solid colour furnishings
wall paper and some vintage accessories from Value village / charity shops / Garage sales
bonus for paneling / Vintage lino flooring
but lastly what ever you build we need PICS (-:

here is a good interior design site more mod 50's but some 70's gems
http://retrorenovation.com
a 70's home for sale with a lot of pictures
http://retrorenovation.com/2013/03/18/mediterranean-decor-time-capsule/

1970's inspired carpet tiles new and sold in the USA
http://retrorenovation.com/2013/03/04/70s-house-style-carpet-squares/
http://www.flor.com/chenille-charade-kiwi.html
ChenilleCharade_Lime_wb.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread, keep the images coming, significant other has another opinion on the retro look so I guess we won't be retrofitting our living room for a while. No full wall murals of forests yet I might add, remember those?
-Lee

Putting together my own listening room with my early 70's Marantz separates. Found this rug, and had to have it. I also have a few of those drizzled plastic light globes, orange and green of course. I wasn't planning on making it a 70's room, but it may end up that way. /Born in '72

Attachments

• 00N0N_2sj6FSsH3J9_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_2sj6FSsH3J9_600x450.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 153
The 1970's gave birth to some cool designs, but a lot of it was awful too, except for a few pieces. Geometric patterns and big bold colours was all the rage, Orange, Yellow, Brown. I myself, would keep it 2015 trendy with hints of 1970's inspired suggestions. If you can, I would replace those big Wharfdale w70's which are IMHO a bit to spanish ornate and large to have in an average listening room. If you have the space and truly love them, then use them. To save some visual space though, I would find a pair of the wharfedale w60's, Tannoy's, B&W DM 2 or 4's, Sansui Sp-2000's or something simliar in a 24" height. Also i don't know the model but I would replace the silver Sansui turntable for a model with a walnut plinth base. The main goal is to make it funky but not cluttered or Gody. Unless that's what your after, but from your op, it didn't sound like it.

Clean and simple :D

Last edited:
1970's Light Box

picture.php

I posted this in another thread but this one would have been more appropriate :yes: My 1970's Light Box with 3 color light organ!

picture.php

I posted this in another thread but this one would have been more appropriate :yes: My 1970's Light Box with 3 color light organ!

Whoa. Now that pot is legal in WA state that must be incredible.
I grew up in the 60's and 70's, but recently built a house with a 50's modern vibe as I find much of those later decade designs to be too colorful and tacky, from furnishings to fashion. The more basic yet solidly built mid-century furnishings and tube based analog equipment is more my speed, but I've always admired those free loving souls embracing pink plastic toasters, macrame love swings, and avacado appliances. Not to mention the great music that came from those years.

Whoa. Now that pot is legal in WA state that must be incredible.
I grew up in the 60's and 70's, but recently built a house with a 50's modern vibe as I find much of those later decade designs to be too colorful and tacky, from furnishings to fashion. The more basic yet solidly built mid-century furnishings and tube based analog equipment is more my speed, but I've always admired those free loving souls embracing pink plastic toasters, macrame love swings, and avacado appliances. Not to mention the great music that came from those years.

Hahaha ya back in the day it was more about having fun now it's more about taking some of the old pains away! :yes: But mood lighting is definitely part of my listening experience. My little space makes me happy I have the equipment from back in the day and it puts almost anything made today to shame. I love the looks on my friends faces when I power up their favorite tunes, it's priceless :music:

Shelves on Peace Sign cinder blocks, a bean bag chair, several mushroom shaped candles, an incense burner, goofy cable spool speaker stands and/or tables, a hand -me-down coffee table with a bottle of Mateus Rose and a cigar box of "unspecified" contents. A blacklight-sensitive map of "Middle Earth" from the Hobbit books. Long strings of pop-tops from beer/soda cans installed in doorways as (door screens?).

All manner of nick-nacks and bric-a-brac if it was not a batchelor pad.

Potted plants in macrame hangers (see above).

Oh, and two AR-3a front / two AR-5 rear loudspeakers run in Dynaquad.

Back
Top Bottom