1978 realistic dream system

gasman517

I'm only here for the Beer!
when I was a kid we lived in northern Alberta and the only stereo shop was a tiny radio shack satellite store, I remember seeing a system that consisted of a sta2000 ,lab400 and a set of Mach ones, I remember how I could feel the hair on my legs moving when the volume was turned up ! It was pretty impressive for a 13 year old kid in a town of 3000 people. Oh course there was no way of ever owning something this cool, so I bought the lesser realistic stuff as I could afford it ! As the years went past I forgot about the dream system until I ran across a lab 400 not long ago which I bought and restored ,then I found a sta2000 on Craig's list that was in need of some serious love lol, so I picked it up and gave it a nice tuneup!
Now I'm in search of a set of Mach ones to complete my childhood dream system, hopefully I will get a set soon and travel back in time

That will make an awesome system when complete. Even two-out-of three ain't bad. I have a LAB-300 and an STA-2080, so I get where you're coming from. I even had a 2000 at one point, but preferred the 2080. Both were unrestored, so something may have been off with my 2000.

Anyway, good luck in your quest for a nice pair of Mach One's.

I found a pair of Mach ones on Craig's list ! The guy wants $300 for them a, hhhmmmmm kind of close to Christmas maybe I should wait!

Excellent! I've got the Lab-400, and I'd jump on the STA-2000 in a second. Mach Ones are a little big for my space though. I have set of T-120s that could go with it.

That Radio Shack catalog page sure brings back some memories. They just don't make 'em like that anymore! I like the blue light mod on your receiver. I've been thinking of doing that to my Kenwood.

I guess it all boils down a ratio of the rarity of those speakers vs. the depth of your pockets. If you feel like you can hold out and find a better deal later on, then maybe you need to let this $300 pair pass by. But if these speakers are particularly hard to come by, then maybe you should regard this pair as the proverbial bird in the hand if you can swing the price. Heck, make the guy an offer. He just might say yes.

That Radio Shack catalog page sure brings back some memories. They just don't make 'em like that anymore! I like the blue light mod on your receiver. I've been thinking of doing that to my Kenwood.

I guess it all boils down a ratio of the rarity of those speakers vs. the depth of your pockets. If you feel like you can hold out and find a better deal later on, then maybe you need to let this $300 pair pass by. But if these speakers are particularly hard to come by, then maybe you should regard this pair as the proverbial bird in the hand if you can swing the price. Heck, make the guy an offer. He just might say yes.
I had some led wedge bulbs laying around so I thought I would give them a try! Looks pretty cool I think

Very nice...I always did like the higher end Shack stuff. I have similar memories about that same time at our local Radio Shack. That would make a sweet system, dont stop till you get the Mach Ones! :rockon:

Nice setup. I have a Lab 400 and really like it. My plinth is plastic covered. Is yours real wood? Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom