1978 Yamaha TC 520 - 2 channels play 1 channel records

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Chouston, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Chouston

Chouston Member

Hi Guys/Gals!

I am very happy with the arrival of my 1978 Yamaha TC 520, issue is that when hooked up to my Sansui 5050 it plays both channels, but will record radio and turntable in only one channel.

I have searched the internet for help.
    I took her apart and sprayed contact cleaner near jacks and level adjustment and the like. (no joy)
    I alternated between the play and record button as suggested in another thread. (no joy).

I swapped leads in case this was an issue.
    The only instructions I have with this are for the TC 720 and they are in German and well... Spreck enzy duetch... I don't.

Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps I do have her hooked up all arse about but I tried every combination. I have hooked 2 RCA play to tape play, and 2 RCA rec to tape rec, this would be correct yes.
    Not sure if it matters but the 2 RCA's were one 3RCA's I jsut stripped the white one away and used the yellow and red on each.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK, three thoughts:

nine times out of ten it is the record switch -- which is typically a slide switch mounted on the (main) PCB. Did you clean that?

I don't have a TC-520 (amazingly enough)... here's a photo of the guts of a TC-1000, with the switch in question circled in green:

[​IMG]cassetterecordsw by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Did you try swapping the physical cables? Maybe you have a bad cable?

One other thought -- if this is the only tape deck you have; perhaps the 'REC OUT' switch on the source (amp or receiver) is dirty?

You probably know this, but the source of the Deutsch manual for the TC-720 also has the manual auf Englisch for the TC-320a:
    http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/tc-320a.shtml

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. Chouston

Chouston Member

Thanks Mhardy6647

I am fairly new to all this and did not find the manual for the 320, so thanks.

When cleaning it out I ran out of contact spray and did not clean the record switch, I will try it out tomorrow with some isopropyl alcohol I have.

I like the force with which the aerosol targets an area rather than a mist from the isopropyl. Do you reckon the mist does as great a job?

I cleaned the Rec out, and switched cables.
    I'm confident it will be the rec switch, cos you say 9 times out of 10, so yay!

Thanks for your time.

4. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

1978 yamaha tc520

Hello

PM sent .

Take a look to my picture and tell me if all transistors like TR1, TR2,(same numbers for both channels) are in the right position on your board :thmbsp:

Attached Files:

5. Chouston

Chouston Member

Thanks for the assist Clinic Audio,

Even when I post-process the attachment it is not of resolution that I can read it.

I will buy some extra contact cleaner tomorrow as I have been informed the isopropyl is a no go, if that does not work I will try to get a better look at the numbers on your sheet.

The best I can photograph of my bits is this,

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Chouston

Chouston Member

Cannot find TR 1 or Tr 2 on my TC 520 circuit but the two TR 4's ( the play RCA) are the right way around.

7. clinic-audio

1978 yamaha tc520

They are in the two red circled areas

Attached Files:

8. Chouston

Chouston Member

A big BIG thanks to mhardy6647 and Clinic Audio for contributing, offering expertise and time and service and more.

I took her apart, referenced photos from contributors but to no avail. I then used contact cleaner to douse all parts (those without grease) without prejudice (even clean non-sensical parts.)

And yeehah grandma !!!!

I thank you all very much as there is a program on the radio tonight I am eager to record and I have been playing my vinyl (my daughters only inheratence) ragged. Now I can tape the vinyl and save it for her.

I am very grateful.:music:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif

9. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

We'll send you a bill ;-)

In all seriousness, glad you got it going -- although I've gotta say that phrases like "used contact cleaner to douse all parts... without prejudice" [emphasis added] make me feel a little culpably nervous when I see 'em :p I am hoping you're taking a little literary liberty, there.

10. ricenz

ricenz New Member

Hi i hate to dig up old threads :p

but does anyone have the full service manual for this Yamaha TC520?

any help would be appreciated!

11. clinic-audio

Hello ricenz

Welcome on AK

YES , I do !

scanning the complete manual is too long (not enought time right now ) so what is your trouble and which page do you need ?

12. ricenz

ricenz New Member

Hi mate,

Thanks a lot for responding!!!!!

I just need the schematic for the main board. Its cool how the components are all numbered and broken up into various parts.

We are fixing it for a friend of ours who's retired and disabled at home at the moment. He wanted this going so we are fixing it for him. He has quite a bit of vintage gear.

The PCB has got a number TD-299 T2-8346.

Once again thanks for the reply, any help would be appreciated :)

Attached Files:

13. clinic-audio

Hello

Send me a PM with your e-mail address because I don't know how to send pages with my answer

14. Deane1

Deane1 New Member

Hello. I understand you have a service manual for this Yamaha cassette player. I am in need of a part number for the rewind idler wheel. The deck I have works in all modes except rewind, and I need to search for a replacement or cross reference. Any help would be appreciated.