1ST. TIME PARENT'S GIFTS:

BOUXY

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg I gave my Mother this little Elf 65 yrs ago for Xmas.Had won some Church Bazaar Game and choose the Elf as a prize and being that it was in Dec.52 gave it to my Mom as my first Gift to her ever!Any similar stories to be had?:)

Nice.

Can't say as I ever gave my late mom anything "spectacular" for a gift.

The last 5 or 6 years, thanks to CL and ebay, I have picked up some really sentimental gifts for my wife of almost 36 years, mostly reminders of her grandparents. Delft cuckoo clock, three legged leather milking stool, and a set of Corning April Tulip dishes. All reminders of her grandparents' and their dairy in Chino back in the 50s and 60s. Hate to see those tears at Christmas. At least they're happy tears, though.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This is a nice thread, as a lot of us are quite a bit older now with parents passed away we get things back we gave them.

I'll take some photos and post them.

EDIT
I know I made her a clay ashtray, you know like most of us did in school, a blob of clay with your fist pushed into it.
These are marked 67 so I was 6 years old, and if you can't tell what they are, we have a green snowman and cat. Some of the little details broke off before the kiln. I would imagine these where Christmas gifts, being theres a green snowman and all. You may ask why the hell is the snowman green!!! Hey it's California, we don't have real white snowmen and everyone knows green and red are Christmas colors. And yes my Mom always had this displayed till She died in 2011 on her book case.:oops:

IMG_0805.jpg IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0807.jpg

Last edited:
This is a nice thread, as a lot of us are quite a bit older now with parents passed away we get things back we gave them.

I'll take some photos and post them.

EDIT
I know I made here a clay ashtray, you know like most of us did in school, a blob of clay with your fist pushed into it.
These are marked 67 so I was 6 years old, and if you can't tell what they are, we have a green snowman and cat. Some of the little details broke off before the kiln. I would imagine these where Christmas gifts, being theres a green snowman and all. You may ask why the hell is the snowman green!!! Hay it's California, we don't have real white snowmen and everyone knows green and red are Christmas colors. And yes my Mom always had this displayed till She died in 2011 on her book case.:oops:

View attachment 874194 View attachment 874195 View attachment 874196

Very nice and this is what I was hoping to see as I didn't know how this Post would be received,thank you for your reply and to all the other that may still be posted:)

This is a nice thread. Wish I kept some of the things I made for both parents. For a lot of kids today they are mostly interested in electronic gadgets, not putting their hands to create something that may have sentimental value for memories to cherish.

I do have some LPs that I got as gifts that my dad had. Keeps me always thanking the Lord for the time we got to spend listening to them as a child.

Rome

Was having coffee with my mom a couple years ago. We were drinking out of these Bavarian flag themed coffee cups that my mom has owned since I was born. She mentioned one broke leaving only 3 cups and 4 saucers. A trip to my local Arc thrift store a week later and I decide (which I never do) to stroll thru the glass section. No crap, there's 1 matching cup for .99. It was a sign, my mom was happy, I also found a Bavarian crested wooden plate which I gave her.

Back in the mid 60's, Dad gave me $5.00 to get my Mom a Christmas gift. At our local 5 and Dime, I picked out a long bowl, (about 15" long, 4" wide, and about 5" tall"). It was a real nice shade of blue. Mom still has the bowl, and still uses it. It ended up being the perfect size for the incoming mail/bills, with room for stamps. As far as the blue, it was spray painted, and is wearing off. Someday, that bowl will return to me, but I wish not to think of that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom