1st TT Score and Now for the Newbie Questions...

salred

Rest In Peace
Thanks to a fellow AK poster I began watching my local (Washington, DC) craiglist and brought home my 1st vintage TT this evening -- a Yamaha YP-211 for $25. It strikes me to be in pretty good condition, although I haven't plugged it in yet - I'm going to take the seller's word that works. (You had to be there -- let's just say I trust the guy.)

From a cursory search of the forum I find that I can use my Random Orbital Buffer and some Maguir's #2 to polish the dustcover, but I'm wondering if there aren't other things I should do before I play an album:

* The cartridge is a Shure M97 (that's all it says) -- should I just try it on a sacrificial LP or should I consider a new stylus right away (I have no idea how long its been in storage.)

* Should I get a new belt on general principles? Anyone on AK have a manual to sell (PM, please) or should I go to ePrey?

* The vinyl veneer is wrinked in a few places around the platform on which the arm is mounted -- any ideas as to what conditions would lead to that? Sunshine?

* How can I verify the stylus is mounted correctly, etc.? Any opportunity to get new tools is a Good Thing.

Well, I've prattled on long enough...

Thanks,

Steve Alred
Croom, MD

Yammy CR-840 at Merrylander's for a beauty treatment and spiffing-up
Yammy YP-211
And now for speakers...

This is what I when I got my $20.00 Luxman
Unpluged my Sony put it to one side pluged in the luxman put on a Test record a $1 thrift shop one like a Ktel 80's hits checked speed and alignment of the arm and cart played a few tracks. All good !!!!

I then got out my Spare Shure RXT6 this was top of the Shure tree in the 80's and has a nice sound. Removed the Audio Tec cart and fitted the Shure
and Wow now we are cooking.

Played one of my Mint 60's vinyl Lps now that sounds nice!!!

What you should do is try out what you have, and then change things to get it to how you want it to sound.

Regards

Johnkpap

Back
Top Bottom