1uf@2100 volt capacitor

MRX37

I was taking apart a microwave, and found a capacitor inside it.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

I dunno... does Tae Yang make good caps? It tests good on my multimeter.

Yikes that could be dangerous. Notice the little schematic on the front looks like it has a built in resistor to discharge it. You gonna use it in a speaker crossover??

Yikes that could be dangerous. Notice the little schematic on the front looks like it has a built in resistor to discharge it. You gonna use it in a speaker crossover??

Oh sure... I have a 6000 watt tweeter right here that needs a new crossover cap :p

Honestly I'm not sure what I'm going to use this thing for yet. There's got to be a use for a 2100 volt capacitor...

Just remember to be careful when tinkering with microwaves. They are said to be the most dangerous consumer electronic product, with lethal voltages and enough current to kill. It looks like they designed that cap with a resistor so it discharges and doesn't kill people when they remove it. :nono:

Just remember to be careful when tinkering with microwaves. They are said to be the most dangerous consumer electronic product, with lethal voltages and enough current to kill. It looks like they designed that cap with a resistor so it discharges and doesn't kill people when they remove it. :nono:

I fix TV's as a hobby. I'm well aware of lethal voltages and I take great pains to protect myself.

I fix TV's as a hobby. I'm well aware of lethal voltages and I take great pains to protect myself.

Sure, but just remember there is MUCH more current available from a microwave oven transformer than any TV flyback. That's what makes them so potentially deadly...they'll probably deliver nearly 1A of current off the secondary.

The only current limiting in the microwave transformer is the limit of the AC mains.

BTW, MOTs don't make good Tesla coil supplies because the voltage is too low and because of the current. The latter adds complexity because of the necessary ballasting to limit the current to prevent tripping the breaker or burning up the transformer.

NSTs are better for starters because they are inherently current limited and have higher output voltage in a decent range for Tesla coils.

The 7.5kV and 15kV NSTs with 60mA or 120mA current are good starter points for getting into Teslas.

Last edited:
The leftovers my wife puts in a microwave.....are FAR more life threatening.....than the microwave itself.

Steve

Hmmm... I have a TV which needs a nonpolar 1uf@50 volt capacitor. I wonder of I could use this cap in it... Might have a bit of trouble fitting it onto the board though...

Back
Top Bottom