2 ohm pro power...

They serve a purpose. You don't need to buy a new preamp...just plug them into your amp. If it has the male balanced type connection buy that one. Use them all the time, and of course you are no longer caring a balanced signal.

I considered getting the adaptor type posted above, but unless both components have balanced in/outs they really serve no purpose other than being able to use XLR cables you already have.
IOW--just because you use balanced cables doesn't mean they are carrying a balanced signal if one end is plugged into an RCA jack.

I hope that makes sense.

It does not make it a balanced signal because it has not been converted, and you are correct.

Oh, I missed the XTI thing. Reference #17.

The OP said in another thread he does 90% tv/movies and 10% music. What if he decides he wants the Rens and it's amplifier to stay in the room they were in. Is he going to listen to his left/right speakers with the gas pedal barely pressed while his center etc... is floored (your analogy). If 60 bucks is to big for the wallet, I believe the Samson S-Convert is 25 or so (if you can still find one).

The OP said in another thread he does 90% tv/movies and 10% music. What if he decides he wants the Rens and it's amplifier to stay in the room they were in. Is he going to listen to his left/right speakers with the gas pedal barely pressed while his center etc... is floored (your analogy). If 60 bucks is to big for the wallet, I believe the Samson S-Convert is 25 or so (if you can still find one).

I have no idea what sort of scenario you're trying to contrive here.

If the OP is looking at an XTI amp, I doubt the 60 or 25 is much concern. In either case, however, it's still 60 or 25 more than necessary.

If the OP is looking at an XTI amp, I doubt the 60 or 25 is much concern. In either case, however, it's still 60 or 25 more than necessary.

You seem to not fully understand the benefits of converting to a balanced line. It is not only about gain, nor is it only about longer cables runs. Have you even tried them? Obviously not.

You seem to not fully understand the benefits of converting to a balanced line. It is not only about gain, nor is it only about longer cables runs. Have you even tried them? Obviously not.

Oh, come on...now you're just talking smack.

I'm quite familiar with the benefit of balanced cables. I've mentioned where they shine in this thread, post #7.

This is a long cable where the benefits of balanced are truly realized, not the piddly little lengths in the typical home stereo.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-line-level-cable-on-ak.779471/#post-10704570

They serve a purpose. You don't need to buy a new preamp...just plug them into your amp. If it has the male balanced type connection buy that one. Use them all the time, and of course you are no longer caring a balanced signal.
Yes.
I probably could have worded it better as I meant would serve no purpose if trying to get a balanced signal by simply using the adapter.

Last edited:

They are the scenarios the OP seems to have. He moves his speakers in and out, he watches 90% movies and 10% music, and has a professional amplifier for his Kappas and Ren90s.

Oh, come on...now you're just talking smack.

Why? Because you seem to be commenting on a product you obviously have not tried? I don't go by what people tell me, I go buy it myself and base it on my own experience. Just saving the OP from having to have adapters collecting dust in drawers like mine.

Why? Because you seem to be commenting on a product you obviously have not tried? I don't go by what people tell me, I go buy it myself and base it on my own experience. Just saving the OP from having to have adapters collecting dust in drawers like mine.

Really?

Well, you are right I haven't used an ART or the other one, but the one I have from Henry Engineering is quite well regarded. Figured if I was going to get one to experiment with might as well get a nice one. It gathers dust, mostly.

20171209_160505.jpg

Here's an interesting little experiment with it though, from not too long ago.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-bridging-adapter-a-tutorial-of-sorts.759289/

Last edited:
But there is no mismatch at the pre out / power amp in connection.

At fixed line levels, maybe, but not at the aforementioned variable level.
When I worked in a studio, we used to use a RCA to XLR "Bump Box". It converted both ways, but also adjusted voltages, between pro and consumer gear, to match between the two types of gear. Something similar to this. Just like your Rolls. I always use one if needing to go RCA to XLR. Much better than only using an adapter.

ART CLEANBoxPro

41ta%2BC4Mm7L._SL1000_.jpg

Seems I am not the only one who has seen the benefits with the CleanBox with you arguing against. I want even ask where you got the image of the Henry. But they are about 30 bucks it seems on ebay, so just to much money for this thread. But you have already said you have not tried the CleanBox, so no point in arging with bricks. My door is always open for anyone wanting to hear the difference if nearby. Or, if they care to hear the difference in the 9.1 and Renaissance 90.

Somebody needs a snickers bar to eat while listening to their Infinity products.

Wow, now you're really off the deep end. Say anything, eh?

What is really off the deep end is talking about something you have not even tried (the Cleanbox). That is two people who have already said they sound better than adapters (from first hand experience with them both).

What is really off the deep end is talking about something you have not even tried (the Cleanbox). That is two people who have already said they sound better than adapters (from first hand experience with them both).

There is no need for me to try a Cleanbox to understand what it does. I have such a device already, the Henry, that does what Cleanbox does but with wider, flatter frequency response range and an order of magnitude less distortion.

Last edited:
I'm not up to speed on the newer avr's and the more modern two-channel preamps that have balanced connections as well as unbalanced. I can only assume that some of you have them and most of you do not.

For the last few years I've been implementing pro-amps into my systems with simple RCA to XLR cables....not properly converting the signal. I had read negative reviews on the ART Cleanbox units that convert unbalanced to balanced....many reviewers claiming that they added noise or some sort of hum to their systems. I was turned off by these claims so I never tried one.

Recently, I coughed up the measly $65.00 and decided to try one out. For $65.00 why didn't I try this five years ago? $65 bucks in this hobby is nothing. Well, I'm here to tell you that if you're running a pro-amp in your system without converting the signal properly you don't know what you're missing. The "ART Cleanbox Pro" straightened everything out.:D

I have no idea
Man, you just follow this product like flys on sh**. Your 1 cent was the very next comment on the above.

I have an xti4000 all I’m using is xlr to rca adaptor they sound superb no box needed.

Sounding superb is a relative term. My little boy thinks his earbuds sound superb. What are you comparing it to? I have met one who thought their Bose speakers sounded better than the IRS Beta (having not even heard the latter).

Last edited:
Sounding superb is a relative term. My little boy thinks his earbuds sound superb. What are you comparing it to? I have met one who thought their Bose speakers sounded better than the IRS Beta (having not even heard the latter).

Now you're attacking two other posters just because they don't agree with you. Poor form.

Your personal attacks and out of context quips and snips should be an embarrassment to you.

Last edited:
I think you guys can step back, chill, have a beer or sump'n that makes you happy. There's no need for this.

If i get a bonus check, I'm probably going to pick up something higher in the crown line. If I need more info I'll ask, but it turns into confusion for me when these arguments start, factually I hate when I ask and it goes this way.

Appreciate everyone's love for the hobby.

It's Sunday, relax and enjoy the day.

If i get a bonus check, I'm probably going to pick up something higher in the crown line. ...

Here's another possible option. Renting something different for a few days. Amps are typically fairly inexpensive for 3 - 5 day rentals. I'd think there would be a least a couple places that rent gear around your area.

Too bad you weren't closer. I have several different pro amps we could play with between Crown and QSC.

That would be cool and I'd be up for it if we were closer, Thank you.

I started with a QSC GX-5, only thing I disliked was the constant on fan, it was pretty loud. The crown is way better as said. Sometimes I wonder if it's even working.

I bought the crown at Sam Ash, they were very good to me. They gave me an OTD price that was equall to ebay pricing. I'm going to stop there first and will be asking to demo the next one.

Back
Top Bottom