2000a to 5000x an upgrade?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
While looking for quad stuff I came across a pretty 5000x

Would it be worth selling my 2000a and buying a 5000x? Or bad idea? I've already replaced the noisy transistors in the 2000a and see that the 5000x has some ICs which makes me a little nervous, but I am a sucker for More Power. Yes, it's the kitchen receiver but still.

Additionally, the 5000x has the wood case whereas my 2000a has original docs but metal case.

thoughts?

I haven't owned the 5000x but it seems to be a well liked warm sounding unit. But the 2000 variants have a wonderful warm tone nad have plenty of power for most reasonable kitchen situations. For me, it like to try a 5000x just for the heck of it, but I doubt it is worlds apart from the 2000. Maybe others who have more experiences can chime in.

I can't compare the two because I've never owned a 2000 series unit. I have a fully restored 5000X and think it's a terrific sounding unit. It produces a warm tone on the darker side that I find particularly pleasing to the ear. My 2 cents.

They both sound really good. 50 watts/ch is not going to be noticeably more power than 30 watts/ch, especially in the kitchen. You obviously want another one, so why not keep the 2000 and figure out a way to buy the 5000X? You can never have too much gear. :rflmao:

I'm new to this forum and haven't learned the protocols . At age 82 and after storing it for 30 years, I decided to unpack my Sansui system that I purchased in Guam in the early 1970s. The system consists of the 5000X Tuner Amp, QS-500 Quad Rear Amp, SP-3500 6X Speakers, SF-2 Omni Rear Speakers, and Kenwood KD-550 Turntable. It fired up, but was noisy with dirty, dry switches and volume controls, some burned out lamps, and a dry direct drive motor bearings in the turntable. Restoration going well and the sound is getting better every day. Having trouble finding the dial Needle lamp and one function (stereo indicator). Any help in this area? Any suggestions in my restoration attempt would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Get it, try it with the plan of selling one. But be prepared to keep them both.

Barney

NO! :)

Since starting this thread I've purchased a QRX-7001, I think I've exceeded my recommended daily allowance of Sansui.

I'm going to have to start working through the project pile and selling stuff because I really do have a critical mass of gear, including backups of backups.

Don't look at it as exceeding your recommended daily allowance. Think of it as contributing to your recommended yearly allowance of Sansui. As long as you leave a couple days of inactivity a month, you'll be OK. I agree with trnsfmr tho. The increase from 32 to 50w isn't going to be noticable in the kitchen. They sound very much alike so you won't notice a real difference. The 5000X has more headroom, but not by much. With you having a 2000A already a 5000X is more of a status symbol with the same series units. As you went up in the series (2000-3000-4000-5000) the units became more complex and with the inclusion of poorly thought out design and implementation, problems cropped up in the 4000 and 5000, which for the most part had "patches and work arounds " that minimized or allieviated the problems altogether. The only problem I know of with the 2000A was the power supply groundingof the main caps. The fixwas to move one of the cap grounds to connect it to the other two filter caps. Plus you know about ConradH's mods and improvements.

Ultimately it boils down to your finances, and how bad you want/need the unit. Keep the good units and get rid of the not so good units. Compare the 2000A and 5000X once it's fixed. A/B them and keep the better sounding one, or if you can't decide between the Sansui's, A/B them against another brand.

Back
Top Bottom