2001 a Space Odyssey

As a surprisingly forum-appropriate yet off-topic aside, I'm sure all 2001 aficionados know that Kubrick commissioned a de novo film score, delivered by Alex North, which he ultimately discarded.

Thanks loaded this from Apple Music. I collect sound tracks so I have a lot to compare the Alex North score too and I have to say while the music is interesting it would not have contributed to the metaphysical nature of 2001. What was selected was a better choice. .

Here is what the set looked like for the rotating module on the USS Discovery One. The set rotated for the moving scenes. They did a similar thing in the scene on the moon shuttle when the flight attendant entered the passenger compartment. As has been pointed out the camera was stationary and the set moved.

circular_machine.jpg

2001-01-600x279.png

The camera could either be stationary or run on a support in front of or behind the actor running while the set rotated. These shots were not done by having the actors wear cameras.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)#Production

Blame the actress who put the pen in Floyd's pocket. That's where I learned that bit of trivia. Clearly, it didn't include all of, or even many of, the zero-G shots.

In another bit of trivia, I just bought a pristine vinyl copy of the original soundtrack.

While I like the movie and think it's a genuine classic, I find it hard to stay awake through the whole movie, It moves at a snails pace.

While I like the movie and think it's a genuine classic, I find it hard to stay awake through the whole movie, It moves at a snails pace.

It is a very difficult movie to watch because of it's silence. It is as pure a science fiction movie as you can have. It is a movie that is almost entirely narrated by it's music soundtrack. I understood it and it is like watching a moving piece of artwork but as entertainment...no.

It is a very difficult movie to watch because of it's silence. It is as pure a science fiction movie as you can have. It is a movie that is almost entirely narrated by it's music soundtrack. I understood it and it is like watching a moving piece of artwork but as entertainment...no.

Perfect!

Like many folks can't site through the long sequences in the 1st Star Trek movie showing the Enterprise on the big screen

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) has got to be one of the worse scifi movies in history, it is the worst of the original "trio" Star Trek movies. It really suffered from it's rush to get it out in the theaters before the Star Wars Movie. The acting reminds me of the action figures in Robot Chicken.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) has got to be one of the worse scifi movies in history, it is the worst of the original "trio" Star Trek movies. It really suffered from it's rush to get it out in the theaters before the Star Wars Movie. The acting reminds me of the action figures in Robot Chicken.
The Robot Chicken skits are much, much better! :)

Last edited:
Every time I watch the end of the ape scene in 2001 I get goose bumps and I've seen it a whole bunch of times. This is the best sci-fi movie ever made IMO, just way ahead of its time. I know some complain of its glacial pace, but the overall storyline is just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom