2011 Secret Santa delivers -- The Official "What'd'ya get?" thread

The mail runs slow these days. Still waiting for a package to arrive, so I can reroute it to my recipient. :sigh: Gonna have to send this one Priority.

Shipped out some goodies today.

And I got a little something nice from Secret Santa. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals S/T on vinyl. Whoever Santa was did some homework, I don't think I could even find the post where I mentioned this. :D Sounds great, thank you very much SS! :banana:

I don't think I'll ever find out whodunnit, but tunes always make my day!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 137
Secret Santa Stops Here! - Belkin Remote Power Strip

I was really starting to wonder... :scratch2: As bad as I've been this year, maybe even the AK Secret Santa crew wasn't going to bring me anything! I was even very late to get the gift I selected and ship it! :D :D :D (I'm 99% kidding there...)

Yet on Saturday morning, I found this big Priority Mail box on my porch. My AK Secret Santa came through! Woohoo! :yippy:

I really did expect that I might get something that said "Technics" on it, or maybe even a ticking package (!!!), but what arrived is a very nice Belkin remote switchable outlet strip. That's really cool--stuff that plugs in to the wall is always great! A very nice card and handwritten letter were also included. I do know who it was, they signed the letter with both their given and screen names. If it is not against the rules, I would (screen)name them here if they are OK with it.

I can think of so many excellent uses for that outlet strip, most them related to some kind of lighting control...plug some lamps in and use the remote switch to turn them on or off. It's a pity that I only got one Belkin unit, though. :D

So...a big THANK YOU is in order to my AK Secret Santa for this year. The outlet strip is very nice and will be very handy.

Remember, the Twelve Days of Christmas begin on December 25th, not the 13th.

Also, 'Hanukkah Harry' won't be making the rounds until December 20th through the 28th.

26 days in Iceland.Those icelanders just have to be a little different.I know ,I married one.:thmbsp:

Christmas in Iceland is an interesting experience as this country has many old traditions for celebrating Christmas. Expect no fewer than 13 Icelandic Santa Clauses! In Iceland, they are called jólasveinar ("Yuletide Lads"; singular: jólasveinn). Their parents are Grýla, a mean old woman who drags off naughty children, and Leppalúði, who is not as mean. The origin of these "Santas" is centuries old, and each has its own name, character and role.

Nowadays during Christmas in Iceland, their function is to come to town bearing gifts and candy (and a prank or two). The first jólasveinn arrives 13 days before Christmas and then the others follow, one each day. After Christmas, they leave one by one. The Icelandic Christmas season lasts 26 days.

Last edited:
I got mine last week, a $25 gift certificate for soundstage direct :banana:
Now I need to decide what LP I need the most... :scratch2:

26 days in Iceland.Those icelanders just have to be a little different.I know ,I married one.:thmbsp:

Christmas in Iceland is an interesting experience as this country has many old traditions for celebrating Christmas. Expect no fewer than 13 Icelandic Santa Clauses! In Iceland, they are called jólasveinar ("Yuletide Lads"; singular: jólasveinn). Their parents are Grýla, a mean old woman who drags off naughty children, and Leppalúði, who is not as mean. The origin of these "Santas" is centuries old, and each has its own name, character and role.

Nowadays during Christmas in Iceland, their function is to come to town bearing gifts and candy (and a prank or two). The first jólasveinn arrives 13 days before Christmas and then the others follow, one each day. After Christmas, they leave one by one. The Icelandic Christmas season lasts 26 days.

Sounds like they know how to party!

Bill,

I will expose myself ("please, there are ladies present!").

Glad you enjoy that strip...I have 3 of them for lighting control...although the remotes run on the same frequency so I turn one on and a bunch of stuff turns on. I solved some of that with shielding...so I no longer turn my tubes on to turn the light over my bed on.

Its always been my theory that Santa is secret till you get the gift. But glad it arrived in time...I guess the mail is running a day slower than normal.

But very happy to hear you're thrilled with it. Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk

Not that I'm worried, but I haven't received anything to date. If I should have, maybe PM me and I can investigate as I used my work address.

Bill,

I will expose myself ("please, there are ladies present!").
Thanks. I think. :D I try to follow all of the AK rules, as long as I know what they are. This is my first time in the Secret Santa program. I will definitely do it again!

Glad you enjoy that strip...I have 3 of them for lighting control...although the remotes run on the same frequency so I turn one on and a bunch of stuff turns on. I solved some of that with shielding...so I no longer turn my tubes on to turn the light over my bed on.
It'll definitely come in very handy! I've just got to decide which project idea is the most deserving. Lighting control is what I have in mind as well. I wondered if the remotes all shared the same frequency.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time to drive around the neighborhood and see who else has one of those. (And you thought I was joking about the "naughty" part!)

But very happy to hear you're thrilled with it. Sorry to have kept you waiting.
That's absolutely no problem. As I mentioned above, I was definitely joking with you. I was very late in getting my own gift sent, hopefully it has arrived on time! I hope to hear from the recipient, and I hope they found it useful...although I did write "AK Secret Santa" for the return address on the envelope. (Maybe that'll give the recipient a clue as to who their SS is! :) )

See...its my first year as well. I guess if we're wrong we just won't identify ourselves next year.

I've done that...it has a 60ft range and doesn't penetrate brick/concrete too well. No idea what frequency they run on....but if I hit a remote both of mine will come on. You occasionally get lucky and someones lights or something will turn on or off. One of out clients has one on his video games...I've got one on my tubes and for a lamp. They're really handy. Need a switched outlet? No electrician required. I have been trying to figure out how to change frequencies. I used to have a remote control watch....the Casio one. I used to keep it on the cable box code and when I saw a mostly open window id hit it on a drive by....that was fun. Sometimes it worked...sometimes. I used to annoy people with baby monitors since I had a walkie talkie that was on the same frequencies. The scary part was when they started talkin back to me.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk

Loved this story Mate. I was verbally retelling this story to my wife today. She asked: "Is the first Santa to arrive, the last to leave or the first to leave?"

Thank you for sharing. I find this stuff fascinating.

my outgoing package got picked by the secret santa delivery team, the recipient should hopefully enjoy my endeavors

HOT DAMN! I got 8 'mo gigabytes to fill up with pics on my new camera!! That oughtta come in handy on my cruise next month!! :yes:

Thanks SS! :banana:

I got a gift certificate to parts express, and a soldering iron tip! How in the world did he know? I don't think I posted anywhere that mine was kaput! Perhaps it is because my secret santa was Nelson Pass, and he knows everything.

Today another package appeared bearing some excellent CDs and LPs (including a mono, six-eye Brubeck I've never even heard of!) and a buttonholer for one of my old Singers! Thanks Santa!

Edit: I completely forgot the cool fan-produced Star Trek starship plans from the early 80s. Not something you see everyday!

Last edited:
Today another package appeared bearing some excellent CDs and LPs (including a mono, six-eye Brubeck I've never even heard of!) and a buttonholer for one of my old Singers! Thanks Santa!

Certainly sounds like a better package than liberace!:D

Got a soundstage direct gift certificate in the emails, and immediately spent it (patience is a virtue, not a requirement). Got a couple albums I was looking for, and one of my favorites on LP...nearly spent an hour going through the sites material. Needless to say, i'll be revving the table, cranking the amp, and making those JBL's sing. A huge thanks to my Santa:thmbsp:

Mailman brought this bundle of goodies to my house today. A fantastic collection of cheeses, sausage, crackers, and some very tasty looking gum/candy from Japan! Cant wait to sit with a nice beverage and enjoy these tasty treats! oh, I suppose I'll share with my wife as well. Thanks Santa!!! very cool.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1263.jpg
    DSCN1263.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom