2017/18 Nissan Rogue...to buy or not to buy?

I had a 2017 Rogue for a couple of weeks as an insurance loaner. I hated the way it shifted plus it felt underpowered until I stepped on it, then the engine felt and sounded loud and buzzy. Other than that it was actually pretty nice.

Route #3 that I hadn't thought of till now.

Thanks!

Q
I was coming home from work one day and seen a new dark blue Rav 4 with the same color rims sitting on the road and thought man that's a nice looking Rav 4. When I got up on it, I noticed a sheriff deputy sitting in it clocking oncoming vehicles.

I was coming home from work one day and seen a new dark blue Rav 4 with the same color rims sitting on the road and thought man that's a nice looking Rav 4. When I got up on it, I noticed a sheriff deputy sitting in it clocking oncoming vehicles.

Just goes to show ya...all ain't what it seems these days.

Q

I've been told by local shops that Toyotas and Hondas are your best bets. I've also been looking at the Honda CR-Vs as well.

Just haven't been real fond of the Rav 4 redesign lately.

I'm not so sure about Honda anymore. My dad has a 2013 Accord and he had to replace the starter at 50K. At 55K, he has to fix the parking brake. The latter is a bit minor but the starter isn't. Also, google problems with the CRV's 1.5L turbo. Essentially, the direct fuel injection injects too much fuel and it gets past the rings. People are finding they have 6qts of oil when they change it instead of the 4qts they put in. Obvious this isn't good for bearings.

Also, if within budget, Volvo XC60 (or 40 if you want smaller). Parents have one (the latest of many, many Volvos) and Dad loves it. He went a couple years old before they started the turbo super dual charging thing.

Last edited:
A friend bought an 08 Accord 4cyl AT brand new and it had the oil burning issue (apparently common on the 4cyl) , using a qt. or liter every 500-600 miles at 160K KM or 100K miles and they told him it was normal. He changed the oil per their recommendations. It also had a noisy HVAC fan (sounded like it was rubbing) that they could never fix so they said it was normal. He went back to US cars and has been happy.

A relative had a brand new 06 or 07 RAV4 that also had the severe oil burning issue at about the same miles/KM's, and was told it was normal. It was maintained and they found out many others had the same problem. They replaced it with a Mazda CX-5 , but they do have rust issues so if you live in the rust belt it may not be a good choice.

Last edited:
Man, even the top earners/deliverers are having their probs.:rolleyes:

I've heard there's a million+ Hondas on recall right now for that air bag thingy. My Sube's going in next month for the propellants change as well. Another huge recall on this make.

I think more and more car companies are totally focused on the margin line than the product itself. Would like to go the Lexus route as they still seem to be beyond reproach, but too high for most of the domestic market.

Kudos for the info/experiences shared on the different SUV's. We all learn from others' situations.:thumbsup:

I just don't rely on those so called "expert" reports on the different vehicles.

Q

Last edited:
I like Nissan but I would not personally buy a Nissan with a CVT.

Of course many people have success with them but Nissan CVTs are the current 90s and 2000s Dodge/Chrysler minivan transmissions and would be a deal breaker for me 100%.

Not a Nissan fan. We have a nearly new (2017) Pathfinder at work. Very low mileage. Started making a loud noise under the hood, sounded like the fans were striking the back of the rad. Took it in, guess what? Out of warranty. Bill was $1300 for new fans. Company car, I'm not paying for it, and it has to get fixed. However, if I was an owner, and had paid something like $50K for a loaded Pathfinder, and barely two years in, it needs $1300 in parts, I would have been livid. Also feels cheap inside, and I swear I've seen some of those switches on my uncles old 1983 Maxima, back in the day.

Even Lexus has it's problem's as a friend of my father's in AZ was in a bad highway accident where someone pulled out in front of him on a blind curve with his a few years ago and his air bags never went off.

He suffered permanent injuries. His must have been from the batch where there were crazy things happening with Lexus (unintended acceleration issues) several years ago. Obviously electronics were farmed out to a low bidder.

I think the best vehicles were made decades ago!

Yeah, for a small SUV, Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V, maybe even a Ford Escape before anything made by Nissan or Chrysler.
+1 on the Ford Escape recommendation. I bought my youngest son a used 2015 Escape last summer for him to drive during his vet school years and put a set of Michelin Defender T&H tires on it so he wouldn't have to worry about buying new tires for the foreseeable future. He loves the vehicle and has had no trouble with it. I've driven it a few times and was impressed with the nimble handling and very good ride quality.

Not a Nissan fan. We have a nearly new (2017) Pathfinder at work. Very low mileage. Started making a loud noise under the hood, sounded like the fans were striking the back of the rad. Took it in, guess what? Out of warranty. Bill was $1300 for new fans. Company car, I'm not paying for it, and it has to get fixed. However, if I was an owner, and had paid something like $50K for a loaded Pathfinder, and barely two years in, it needs $1300 in parts, I would have been livid. Also feels cheap inside, and I swear I've seen some of those switches on my uncles old 1983 Maxima, back in the day.

Counter-point: 3 Nissan vans at work, 2 NV 200s and a NV 2500 HD. I hate the little vans cause they're under-powered and visibility is trash, but they've been problem free through 3+ years of /abuse/. No one that drives them cares.

The NV 2500 HD is a beast, tons of power, great visibility, stereo isn't even bad for a work truck. Has a nice back-up camera too. Good machine.

I'm not in the market and won't be for some time but were I looking I'd be partial to the Kia and Hyundai brands. (I think they may be related)
They're building a great reputation here in Aus. and the Kia comes with a 7 year warranty and apparently they're pretty good to deal with. Unlike some.....

Kia and Hyundai are corp cousins.If you don't care about towing atall the Kona is a really nice small city suv.I looked at a 2014 sorrento with v6 and awd and it was a very nice suv except for the mileage it had on it so I went with my edge instead.which I love.
43247249994_08b236413f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ex had a Kia Sportage (I forget which year) that went through belts with comical speed. Come to find out Kia is notorious for using shitty belts that don't last that long because it gets customers in to the dealership while still under warranty, but they'll say it's a "standard wear item" and charge to replace it. They then try to tack on as many unnecessary services as possible to the bill while you're there.

I put a good quality belt on the thing myself and it was otherwise problem free. Just a heads up, something to look for.

A Kia/Hyundai. Hmmmm?:idea:

Now have a 4th route to consider.

Again, thanks to all those who have walked the path of experience.:thumbsup:

Q

A Kia/Hyundai. Hmmmm?:idea:

Now have a 4th route to consider.

Again, thanks to all those who have walked the path of experience.:thumbsup:

Q
I agree on checking those out too.

I normally Google vehicles before buying and doing a bit of homework. The less complaints you see the better.

If you trade them off before the warranty is up, those Korean ones may do, but long term they don't seem to last up here as they end up needing expensive repairs.

I wouldn't have been so quick to recommend them 5+ years ago but they have since emerged as a top quality option. Actually I have 2 friends with older (way over 10 years) Hyundais, Elantras I think, and both have had great service from them. I understand that agents behaviour may vary from country to country but over here they compare more than favourably with the usual suspects.....Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, VW et al.

Back
Top Bottom