2017 Record Store Day list released

Yeah, I read this year's list. I've been less and less impressed each year. Then again, I also have something against the whole record store day thing, but that's another story.

Seems to be more live albums, and perhaps fewer reissues, which is a good thing. The annual parade of major label reissues is getting old.

Some good stuff and some crap. Like always I will spend more than I plan and get less than I want.... but that's how it goes.

Why does the watermark over each picture say "Support Indie Record Stores... Not Flippers"?

Perhaps, for RSD, they could print more than 1-5 copies per stores so that people could buy what they came for, and not have to resort to flippers. They created their own flipping market by massively limiting the number of items they release.

Why does the watermark over each picture say "Support Indie Record Stores... Not Flippers"?

Perhaps, for RSD, they could print more than 1-5 copies per stores so that people could buy what they came for, and not have to resort to flippers. They created their own flipping market by massively limiting the number of items they release.

Probably to screw with the flippers who steal the artwork from the website and list things for sale before they even have them in hand.

That's one thing I have against it. It supports a "collector's" culture or mentality instead of record buying for the enjoyment of music. I have mixed feelings, though. I know it helps the independent stores that I enjoy having around... or does it? One record store owner I know thinks it's become such an expectation that he can't risk not doing it. He said he dislikes the sort of "Black Friday" shopping frenzy it creates as well as the "specialness" of the releases. He also claims that many of those special releases stay in his inventory, because after RSD comes and goes, his regular customers aren't interested in them.

Thanks for posting,
Overall I think it's a good thing. It might encourage some sales but if people are getting paid at the end of the month then it's a poorly placed date in the calendar.
Some promising looking releases listed. Jane's Addiction been caught stealing would be a nice single to own at the right price. Some of the complilations e.g from
the Soul Jazz label are bound to be decent.
Last year a local branch of larger chain set up a vinyl section for the day, no RSD releases or must have items but they were knocking the prices down a bit.

I think it has its merits. For me, personally, it's a bit antithetical to everything I go to record stores for. I enjoy the quiet browsing through the bins, and I enjoy the surprise, coming across something you didn't expect you'd want. I also enjoy going into a store to buy music -- the LP just happens to be the format of my choice. In other words, I don't go hunting for rarities or special issues. I go into record stores looking for music I enjoy listening to. RSD, for all its good aspects, unfortunately also brings this frenetic collector's mentality into the whole thing that I find quite off-putting. I haven't gone to an RSD or Record Store Black Friday a few years, and I'm unlikely ever to go again. I have plenty of "record store days" of my own the whole rest of the year.

And that last, by the by, brings up another sore point for me -- I don't see how RSD rewards us regulars, those of us who haunt our local shops monthly, weekly, daily, (hourly?), and who drop a significant part of our disposal income in these places. If anything, it seems to turn against us.

Probably to screw with the flippers who steal the artwork from the website and list things for sale before they even have them in hand.
You're probably right. However, without the limited market that they create, there wouldn't be a flipper market. It's ironic that some of the "Indie" stores become the flippers because they can. Album art really isn't that hard to get and I bet you'll see some of these watermarked pics on ebay as well.

That's one thing I have against it. It supports a "collector's" culture or mentality instead of record buying for the enjoyment of music. I have mixed feelings, though. I know it helps the independent stores that I enjoy having around... or does it? One record store owner I know thinks it's become such an expectation that he can't risk not doing it. He said he dislikes the sort of "Black Friday" shopping frenzy it creates as well as the "specialness" of the releases. He also claims that many of those special releases stay in his inventory, because after RSD comes and goes, his regular customers aren't interested in them.
This, for me. I don't have a desire to fight someone for one of 2 copies of something I like, let alone have to stand in line for an hour or two before the shop opens to "hope" to get a release. Then to have people muscle and elbow around a 4' square unit trying to get something. I also feel for the stores that, reportedly, have to buy "X" amount of RSD inventory, and much of it isn't the extremely limited releases that people want, it's the units that will end up sitting on the shelf for the better part of the year.

I think it has its merits. For me, personally, it's a bit antithetical to everything I go to record stores for. I enjoy the quiet browsing through the bins, and I enjoy the surprise, coming across something you didn't expect you'd want. I also enjoy going into a store to buy music -- the LP just happens to be the format of my choice. In other words, I don't go hunting for rarities or special issues. I go into record stores looking for music I enjoy listening to. RSD, for all its good aspects, unfortunately also brings this frenetic collector's mentality into the whole thing that I find quite off-putting. I haven't gone to an RSD or Record Store Black Friday a few years, and I'm unlikely ever to go again. I have plenty of "record store days" of my own the whole rest of the year.

And that last, by the by, brings up another sore point for me -- I don't see how RSD rewards us regulars, those of us who haunt our local shops monthly, weekly, daily, (hourly?), and who drop a significant part of our disposal income in these places. If anything, it seems to turn against us.
I only wish that they would take the limited release from the year before and then pump up the volume and release it the next year. People would have still gotten the item the year before as the "collector" item (which doesn't cost any more/less than any other release), and customers would finally get what they showed up for the year before. Besides, with the extremely limited amount of certain presses, have they really put much wear and tear on the stampers? Surely a mass-produced second or third pressing would still be great.

RSD isn't really there to reward the regular, which in most cases may only be a guy who buys a used album or so every so often, which may only barely pay the bills. It's to get people lined up down the block, to drum up support and get newbies salivating.

All for RSD. I can't make it this year because we'll be moving back to SoCal. If someone wants to help out old elco I'd sure like to surprise my wife with the Dave Matthews Band, Live From Red Rocks 4 LP set. PM me if so inclined.

One mans crap is another mans choice.

I was looking at some articles on music web sites yesterday regarding the RSD 2017 release list. I saw the same Johnny Cash LP listed on both one site's "10 worst RSD titles" list and on another site's "RSD releases worth buying" list.

For all the moaning and whining and complaining I see here whenever the subject comes up, I rather enjoy Record Store Day. I show up several hours before the local store opens at their usual 11AM, and spend the time waiting talking about records, music and life in general with the other regulars who are at the front of the line year after year. Once the store opens I'm able to get the records I want, help others out (it's a polite crowd), and enjoy the people watching. I know that it isn't the same everywhere, but other's negativism does not match up with my experience.

Yea, it's pretty much geared towards punk, because I think the owner use to be in a punk rock band, but he does have other stuff, quite a bit of jazz and soul

I see. Makes sense. I've been in Baltimore about six months now. I think I've pretty much made the rounds. I think out of all I've visited so far, Sound Garden suits me best.

Back
Top Bottom