202-R Arrived

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by audmod01, Jun 27, 2017.

1. audmod01

audmod01 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I managed to check for alignment of screw holes for the 202-R. The cabinet that I acquired from the bid site may be correct for a 100 series amplifier, but they do not match the screw holes for the bottom cover of the 202-R. To use this cabinet with the 202-R would require some special metal brackets to use as adapters for the holes revealed in the bottom of the 202-R bottom cover after removal of the original equipment feet. Those front bottom cover screw holes wind up in a vacant area in the bottom of the wood cabinet. At the rear of the cabinet the location screw holes would have to be drilled out of the wood in that area in order to use this cabinet for the 202-R. Also as it turns out, the back end of the 202-R extends beyond the rear limits of the cabinet by over 1/4" so the AM loop antenna and the fuse holder and rear connections are exposed and vulnerable to damage. So just any cabinet will not necessarily work for a 202-R or other Fisher FM tuner. Any wooden cabinet made to fit a 202-R needs to have an overall depth dimension of at least 13 inches, not 12 inches.
    n-100-n Cabinet screw holes web.jpg

2. audmod01

Here is one more picture that illustrates the 202-R chassis extension beyond the cabinet rear dimension. It also shows more clearly the existing cabinet screw feet holes and how they do not line up with any feet holes of the 202-R. I may check on how this cabinet might work for my X-101-C integrated amplifier.
    Joe
    202-R in Cabinet web.jpg

3. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Same with Sherwood gear of the era, legs but no lid.

Could always drill/tap the two front holes and call it adequate.

4. audmod01

I have found a way to secure the 202-R chassis in the cabinet. In the two long slots on both left and right sides of the bottom there is space to place a right angle bracket made from aluminum L-channel to secure the front part of the chassis bottom. Then at the rear two holes need to be drilled in the wood to provide access to the tuner chassis bottom rear feet holes. This way the tuner can be secured in the cabinet without making any modifications to the chassis itself, only to the cabinet.
    Fitting chassis to cabinet web.jpg
    I have cut two right angle brackets from some aluminum L-channel material and the next step will be to drill holes in them for attachment to the chassis bottom cover at the front feet locations and two holes in the vertical part of the bracket to secure them to the side of the slot in the wood of the cabinet bottom. There will not be much stress in an up or down direction because the front panel of the chassis is held rather securely by the opening in the front of the cabinet wood trim. At the rear it is a different condition where there is plenty of room around the chassis inside the cabinet and so at that location it makes sense to use the full strength of the plywood of the cabinet bottom with some holes drilled and use some #8 screws, flat washers and split-washers. This will allow me to use the cabinet I bought with minimal changes to it.

Joe

5. audmod01

Today I got around to making the right angle brackets I had planned and drilled the necessary holes in the wood to fasten the 202-R chassis into the wood cabinet I bought for it. As usual it took me much longer than it would have years ago (4 hours of work), but at least I did manage to get it done. Here are some pictures of the result.
    Cabinet Modifications web 02.jpg Cabinet Modifications web 03.jpg
    I will admit that my aluminum right angle brackets are not the strongest possible solution, and I would never ship the chassis in the cabinet for fear of damage, but it does secure the chassis in the cabinet and the rear screws do a good job of securing the back end of the chassis to the cabinet, so It satisfies the needs for now. I had to add some flat washers on the top side of the brackets due to some added space between the chassis bottom and the plywood bottom of the cabinet on the inside. This is because there were some thin wood strips front to back glued on top of the plywood inside the cabinet as shims to help position the chassis (of what ever type would be installed) evenly top to bottom with respect to the front trim frame. I used some blue painter's masking tape to keep the flat washers in place and left them that way. 30 lashes with a wet noodle for my laziness there.:whip:

Joe

6. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Joe; a "Z" bracket might be easier to work with in cases like this. Then you wouldn't have to put the screws in sideways (always a PITA!) :whip::D

7. audmod01

Larry;
    True, but the problem I had was finding some with the right dimensions. I thought about that and just could not find any locally of the right size. I could have ordered some from McMaster-Carr, but elected to go the other method. Thanks for the lashes! (I think, kicking self).
    Joe

8. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Yer welcome. Flogging is still in vogue in some S.E. Asia Countries. Gotta keep my arm in shape....:naughty::naughty::rflmao: Mark up some flat sheet steel and bend it in a vise (Bigger hammer works better). Nobody is gonna look at it and you can modify it as needed.

9. dcgillespie

dcgillespie Fisher SA-100 Clone Subscriber

Joe -- Can the bottom air holes still breath? Tuners of that complexity do generate some heat -- just wondering......

Dave

10. audmod01

I will have to check on that. Although I got it to fit the cabinet, I am not sure about that. I know there are some ventilation holes on the top of the chassis around the power transformer. There should be some underneath also. I will check tomorrow and report on that.

Joe