2100 Cage Removal

RuSsMaN

Pudknocker
Got a 2100 in from my scrounger, supposed to work fine, I've yet to test.

In the clean-up (dusting) stage - don't see any easy way for the cage to come off yet, what am I missing? It is removeable, no?

I'll post a pic in a few.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
Take the bottom panel off, 1 screw at each end from the bottom.
Real easy. I was going to mention it needed cleaning from your RCA pic. ;)

Carl

right on the money, carl.

also, .. i would suggest removing out the boards (they slide out, just like a PCI card on a computer and cleaning out the copper contact strips)

.. and if you should need to restore/repair the mc2100, i have a the issue of audioexpress with the mc2100 restoration article

you're welcome to a copy, being in my neck of the woods .. (or should that read prairie)

i for one still want to try the power supply and coupling cap bypass cap mod mentioned on audioasylum etc .. on my 2100 ,.. but can't seem to overcome the inertia (or is that the weight of my 2100)

Last edited:
Originally posted by zobsky
right on the money, carl.

... can't seem to overcome the inertia (or is that the weight of my 2100)

The 2100 only weighs 57 lbs. If you want a real treat, try hefting a MC2500. Now there is some serious iron! :yes: Better yet, ask Gail in McIntosh's parts department about her experiences assembling the 2500. You can ask my wife about it as well. I had one on the living room floor waiting to be moved into the cabinet. She tried to move it to vacuum the carpet. After she tried, she thought the damn thing was bolted to the floor. She is so silly sometimes! :lmao:

Last edited:
Here ya go Grumpy, a few pics, thought I post here to give everyone a look-see. Tested it tonight again, been running it for the past hour and I'm pretty impressed.

It's just hooked up to a cheap-o Sony CDP, and some old Realistic Nova speakers (my test speakers) - no preamp, direct connection and using the level attenuators on the amp iteself.

Sounds freakin' AMAZING, my little Rat Shackers never sounded so good. If we are a go, we can hash out the details here, via pm, or email.

Cheers,
Russ

Again.... I never removed the cages, I don't want to risk F'n something up - I did blow it out with compressed air to get the 'big' dust bunnies out.

Lettering on this side is worn a little bit.

Another....

Note - on the top, left, towards the middle of the unit - some igmo etched what appears to be his social into the unit.

Back
Top Bottom