211 amp

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
Built by Robert Root
power supply is a damper diode bridge amp is interstaged coupled and the driver tube for the 211 is a 6BM8
Transformers are all Tango

What a beauty!

How does it sound, or rather allow the music to be communicated? MikE

Tango xfmers

Mike,

Yes it does look pretty. It probably sounds colored like a transformer coupled amplifier since there are two in the signal path. I am struggling with a SET current sourcing driver design that will eliminate the interstage xfmer driving the power sucking class A2 grid of the 805 which is about the same as a 211 BTW and same 125w dissipation but newer design.

I've noticed a following in Japan tube audio circles that swear by all transformer coupling in a tube amp and then driving horns. I personally think xfmers are something to be avoided if possible in the audio chain. Everyone has their own ideas.

My biggest prob with the 805 besides finding time to build it is finding a suitable o/p xfmer within a zero budget right now. Gosh, I might have to roll my own.

BTW, does everyone know that Tango is out of bizness, closed down, gone?! I wonder who the French audiophile was to buy the last Tango in Paris. :) A friend suggested that they might become available under a different Brando.

Rob

I wonder who the French audiophile was to buy the last Tango in Paris. ok...now picture Popeye saying..."ug....ug..ug..ug....ug"

Rob...best of luck with your project...man would I love to hear that thing after you get done!

take care>>>>>>>

Does anyone else see these guys move from time to time? :p:

Rob,

Go to the "My Tube Guru's Webpage" and send Dennis an email. He and John Camille built a stereo 211 amp starting about 10 years ago and wrote about the design, problems and solutions in a series of articles that were published in Sound Practices magazine over a year and a quarter in 93/94.
Dennis has hard copies of the series and I bet he would send you one.
He also sells output transformers for 211s that a guy in England winds and he lams.
I have not heard any amps made with them but have spent many hours listening to the Ace amps at Dennis' old place, and had the Mullard 3.3 prototype amps in my system for at least 6 months. The transformers in those were wound there and lammed here. Those little Mullards were what got me into SE.
I do not have a clue as to the price of other specialty output transformers so I can't tell you if it is a good deal or not.
I have to go to his website to see what his prices are myself because I never buy anything from him, as we have a barter system going that lets us both do better than $$.

Re: Rob,

Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
Go to the "My Tube Guru's Webpage" and send Dennis an email

Thatch,

I'd love to see the article. What is your friend's url?

Thanx,
Rob

Here it is

<http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/ind...make your building experience more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Thatch,

It worked! It turns out I've been to that site before and spent a while studying that somewhat unusual Dr. Hockstra Axiom 300B amp circuit and description. Replacing a cathode bias resistor with a vacuum tube diode is not normally something you see.

Thanx for bringing this to my attention again.

The output transformers are beyond my reach so I may just end up rolling my own anyhow. Humans do it so how hard can it be? :)

Thanx,
Rob

Back
Top Bottom