22 year old Sony 32" TV disintegrates in my hands...

Sounds like a VW Jetta I had one time. The engine and transmission worked fine, but I think the rest of the car was make of plastic, and that plastic didn't last too long in the desert heat.

UV radiation is also a killer of plastics, if this tv sat near a window I'd be inclined to think that is what caused it's brittleness.

Funny, there's a 44" Sanyo in the Free section of my CL right now. :eek:
largest i can find mentioned for sanyo was 39.I know i had a 32 rca that i actually rolled out to the truck end over end on its way to the dump.My friend tried to give away a 32 or 36 wega but nobody would bite as it was in the basement,lol.Now i carried my 65 inch samsung plasma in by myself with moderate effort due to its size.And it was actually cheaper than my 32 rca!!!!!

UV radiation is also a killer of plastics, if this tv sat near a window I'd be inclined to think that is what caused it's brittleness.

The set never saw direct sunlight, was in a section of the living room that was shaded.
I think it was the combination of age, heat and poor additives used in the plastic manufacturing process.
I did think about bad plastics this week as I am a bigger guy and sat on plastic chairs that were probably 20 years old during some meetings, and hoped they did not explode under my weight like the tv did...

heh, I have seen more than one of those plastic lawn chairs explode under people. I'm also not exactly svelte or limber so I avoid them when possible.

They do have unsvelte chairs ive though about them and would buy one when needed.:) Home depot had a wack of them i wonder if their telling us something,lol.

My brother calls me to say his Sony TV has finally died. It just stopped playing in the middle of a show last evening. He asks me to come to his place to help him move it out and install the new one. It is a huge 32" CRT about 22 years old.
I went over to his place and checked all the usual suspects, power, power strip, outlet etc. Yep, dead as a door nail.
We unplugged all the connections and lifted the set off its matching base, and we heard a bunch of cracking sounds. We set the TV on the carpeted floor to get a better grip as this is a beast of a set, and proceeded to lift it again. About a foot or two off the ground, another crack or two was heard and all of a sudden, it just disintegrated and the tube and chassis fell out of the cabinet, fell to the ground and shattered other parts of the plastic case. It was pretty dangerous as the plastic shardes were sharp, and instinctively we held on to the tube the best we could so it would not fall and implode. We had the tune and small plastic sections left to hold onto.
The plastic cabinet was so brittle, it just broke apart as we further pulled and tugged on it. In the end we had three piles, a tube, the chassis and a waste basket of plastic parts and two speakers.
I guess 20 years is the life expectancy of the type of plastic Sony used.
This just happened to my 27 inch kv27s15. Definetly the most brittle plastic I have ever seen in my life! I can break a half inch piece of it in half....its that weak! Ill post pictures of the guts later for proof!

Finally got rid of my circa 1992 Toshiba a year or two ago. Honestly the picture tube was fine, the plastic cabinet was fine..... problem with the power supply I believe. Thought briefly about getting it fixed but the wife was on a large/flat screen kick so we replaced it with a Panasonic 50" plasma.

Couldn't give the old Toshiba away so reluctantly took it to the dump. When my boys and I unloaded it, it pretty much crushed anything below it.....

Someday in the future some "vintage" TV collector will be lamenting why people threw these things away instead of saving them.....lol.

This just happened to my 27 inch kv27s15. Definetly the most brittle plastic I have ever seen in my life! I can break a half inch piece of it in half....its that weak! Ill post pictures of the guts later for proof!
Here we go guys! Sorry about the delay I had to work and getting these files down to 1mb was kinda tough but here we go! Ignore the two Sony tv pieces up top on the first picture they are unrelated and just part of my Trinitron collection lol. The entire tv minus the tube is in the box! Amazing as 24 hours ago this was a complete set! Capture+_2017-11-04-18-30-23.jpg Capture+_2017-11-04-18-34-59.jpg

Probably mostly heat, but those things did generate a bit of ozone as well. Ozone is not kind to plastic, heat also makes it very brittle.

The light weight is a nice bonus to modern flat TV sets. Our 53" plasma isn't exactly a featherweight, but its far less than the old 32" Trinitron that it replaced. The plasma is over 10 years old at this point, I expect a new equivalent set would be a fair bit lighter. I just hope the case on that thing doesn't fail before the guts do. it hangs on the wall, and it would really suck to have it crash into the glass AV rack sitting below it. Plasma sets get pretty toasty. I can walk by it and feel the heat radiating out of it.

I have a couple of old plasmas, they are great! Thankfully they have a boatload of iron framework in them! Mine are hanging on the wall too.

The set never saw direct sunlight, was in a section of the living room that was shaded.
I think it was the combination of age, heat and poor additives used in the plastic manufacturing process.
I did think about bad plastics this week as I am a bigger guy and sat on plastic chairs that were probably 20 years old during some meetings, and hoped they did not explode under my weight like the tv did...

I hear you on that bigger guy thing. Sarge and I joke about me becoming a stress testing business. You should see how I stress wicker.
She has this old Adirondack resin chair thing that she wants me to sit on when I'm doing yardening. And,... she also has these ceramic garden seat things that just make me nervous as can be. I really don't want to pick cermic shards out of dark places.
Yep; Me, stress tester.

What is sad is that I have a couple of good CRT TVs here at the house, but don't know what to do with them. Nobody wants them. Can't give 'em away, even, especially since they don't pick up digital TV. Hate to send them to the landfill if they work. The Mitsubishi in my daughter's room won't die. I even have a mid 70s MGA set that still works, and a late 60s black and white MGA portable. Thankfully none of these has disintegrated! ;)

Back
Top Bottom