Snappahead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Any reason why the gain controls would work in reverse besides the obvious swapped cables from left to right? Without any warning by the way. Just happened.

Either speaker cables are swapped or maybe the amp was accidentally switched to mono(?)

That's all I can think of.

Edit: MONO switch on rear next to input jacks.

Any reason why the gain controls would work in reverse besides the obvious swapped cables from left to right? Without any warning by the way. Just happened.
You've got something hooked up wrong, speaker cables most likely.

Thanks fellas. I thought a cable was hooked up backwards too, first thing I thought of. No luck. It's very odd. Happened on New Year's Eve, I dealt with it and today I pulled it apart and re-wired it. I changed out cables, tried everything, no suck luck. Of course I swapped cables, purposely hooking them up backwards and still the same thing. Very odd.

Either speaker cables are swapped or maybe the amp was accidentally switched to mono(?)

That's all I can think of.

Edit: MONO switch on rear next to input jacks.

Checked the mono switch, turned power guard on and off. Check fuses. Nothing.

Thanks fellas. I thought a cable was hooked up backwards too, first thing I thought of. No luck. It's very odd. Happened on New Year's Eve, I dealt with it and today I pulled it apart and re-wired it. I changed out cables, tried everything, no suck luck. Of course I swapped cables, purposely hooking them up backwards and still the same thing. Very odd.
What do you mean "it just happened"? Were you just listening or had you just set it up or moved the setup?
Unless something has been physically moved, this cannot happen.

Are you saying when you turn the LEFT gain up, the RIGHT output meter responds?

What do you mean "it just happened"? Were you just listening or had you just set it up or moved the setup?
Unless something has been physically moved, this cannot happen.

Are you saying when you turn the LEFT gain up, the RIGHT output meter responds?

I adjust the gains all the time. On New Years Eve we were listening and the gain controls got wonky, then worked in reverse. I didn't change a thing. I swapped the input cables and nothing changed so I left it alone until today. Went through it and no matter what I do it works in reverse. Something must have happened to the amp is all I can think of.

You don't mention speaker cables specifically. When viewing the amp from the FRONT, the LEFT speaker connects to the set of terminals on the right. And the RIGHT speaker connects to the set of terminals on the left.

I only mention this because I could see myself screwing this up.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 4.40.29 PM.png

I adjust the gains all the time. On New Years Eve we were listening and the gain controls got wonky, then worked in reverse. I didn't change a thing. I swapped the input cables and nothing changed so I left it alone until today. Went through it and no matter what I do it works in reverse. Something must have happened to the amp is all I can think of.
Yeah but when you adjust the LEFT gain, does the RIGHT Output change and the RIGHT meter change? Is this what you are saying?
Because in order for this to happen, something has to be physically changed in the amplifier, its not the sort of thing that can "just happen" by itself?

We just need more information on what is happening when you adjust the gains..

You don't mention speaker cables specifically. When viewing the amp from the FRONT, the LEFT speaker connects to the set of terminals on the right. And the RIGHT speaker connects to the set of terminals on the left.

I only mention this because I could see myself screwing this up.

View attachment 1377257

I never touches the speaker cables. I didn't touch any cables. It just happened. I know weird and it can only happen to me.

Yeah but when you adjust the LEFT gain, does the RIGHT Output change and the RIGHT meter change? Is this what you are saying?
Because in order for this to happen, something has to be physically changed in the amplifier, its not the sort of thing that can "just happen" by itself?

We just need more information on what is happening when you adjust the gains..

That's exactly what happened, on it's own. I re-wired the system about 2 months ago, just to clean up the cables. Everything has been flawless. It started on New Year's night, we were hanging out with friends and the system was on all night. When I was adjusting gains it got wonky and this started. I have no clue why or how it happened but it did. I've checked, double checked and triple checked, Changed out cables, nothing. For now, I put the right speaker to the left input and vice versa so I can adjust it but something went awry. I"ll call Ryan at Audio Classics and see what he says.

That's exactly what happened, on it's own. I re-wired the system about 2 months ago, just to clean up the cables. Everything has been flawless. It started on New Year's night, we were hanging out with friends and the system was on all night. When I was adjusting gains it got wonky and this started. I have no clue why or how it happened but it did. I've checked, double checked and triple checked, Changed out cables, nothing. For now, I put the right speaker to the left input and vice versa so I can adjust it but something went awry. I"ll call Ryan at Audio Classics and see what he says.
What do you mean wonky? You still haven't answered the question "when you adjust the LEFT gain, does the RIGHT Output change and the RIGHT meter change?"
We need this information to make an assessment.
The MC2205 is two separate amplifiers in the same chassis sharing a common power supply. What you are describing simply cannot "just happen", which is why I am asking the questions to get more information.

I have not seen this with a Mac autoformer amp but have with a MAC1900 receiver.

Amp lost it speaker output to chassis reference ground so the amp sought a ground through the other channel. Would get louder as you rolled the balance control (adjusting the gain) opposite of the direction you were balancing to.

I would leave it shut down and get it to service ASAP.

I have not seen this with a Mac autoformer amp but have with a MAC1900 receiver.

Amp lost it speaker output to chassis reference ground so the amp sought a ground through the other channel. Would get louder as you rolled the balance control (adjusting the gain) opposite of the direction you were balancing to.

I would leave it shut down and get it to service ASAP.

No, it doesn't get louder whan I increase the gain, just works in reverse. I'll send it in for service.

Back
Top Bottom