2215 & 2440 questions

I grew up listening to these...my father had them mounted in the wood panel wall of our living room through a pair of AR's and a pair of JBL L88's. The quick scratch of a needle hitting and then some Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or Hoyt Axton brings back memories that no mp3/ipod/itunes/sirius will ever do.

Anyway, he put these up about 10 years ago...metal cases had been removed the whole time they were mounted and they appear to have been lost. I wanted to clean these up and get them back to attractive & working condition.

One cap on the 2215 has let go (a 100 uF cap) on the board closest to the faceplate on the far right..just got a schematic, haven't traced it to see what that board does.

I shot EchoWars a note to see what he might charge, but considering these units are low end of the line, it may not be worth restoring them. Now I'm considering following the cleaning instructions I've found here on AK, replacing that dead cap & the dead lamps on the 2215. If they sound ok, great. If not, maybe I go out and find some higher end Marantz stuff that has already been serviced to buy for him. I dunno if he liked those scoped 4-channel units, but those are the damn coolest things i've seen.

Does this sound like a plan:
1) compressor blowout with lightly moistened brush (reduce static)
2) windex & brush for grime
3) distilled water rinse
4) replace dead cap
5) water & mild soap for faceplate and knobs
6) deoxit for all controls (or non-lube contact cleaner first, then small amount of lubed contact cleaner last?)

I saw conflicting info on testing DC voltage for output on the lower power units: is it worth checking on the 2215 and 2440?

I also took the L88's for a quick check...they have some goop along the cones on the woofers that seems to have run after 30 years and I'm going to try to steam up some of the scratches in them.

guess i'm just trying to talk myself out of sending these two low(er) end units to a tech and spending big bux to get them back to spec. As much sentimental value as my father & i attach to them, i'm just thinking that it would be smarter to put the dollars into some well cared for & serviced higher end units to replace these if my little cleaning/servicing project doesn't work to my satisfaction. :confused:

Attachments

• Marantz1.jpg
    Marantz1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Marantz2.jpg
    Marantz2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Marantz3.jpg
    Marantz3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Marantz4.jpg
    Marantz4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 74
If they were MY Dads I would restore them, They are going to be worth more to you than anybody on the planet, But that's just me

The 2215 is a stereo receiver, that will work in a system if you want. As stated these may have a value more to you, than $$

The 2440 is a "quad" (4 channel adapter), that will provide a 4 channel affect. (Does the 2440 have a plug in module on the bottom?) The 2440 connects to the 2215.

A little clean up will give you an idea of what else may be needed to get them working. If it were mine, I'd keep the setup. You can always start another setup with any kind of amps, receivers, ...whatever.

Surfacetension said:
If they were MY Dads I would restore them, They are going to be worth more to you than anybody on the planet, But that's just me

Agreed! I have my dad's Marantz HD 880's. I was with him the night he bought them in 1979... My dad gave them to me in the early 90's and I have taken great care of them ever since! They will get a full restoration in the near future when life begins to settle down for me...:) I wouldn't sell them if someone offered me $1000! Are they worth $1000? No! The sentimental value far exceeds the monetary value! :thmbsp:

That 2215 is pretty hefty 15w receiver. Well worth a little effort.
I recapped a 2215b and it really wasn't that hard. Think I spent a total of about $20 plus couple hours of my time. Every thing is pretty easy to get to.

If you don't do a total recap at least change the two large power supply caps[probably 2200uf] along with that 100uf while you are in there.

I would keep regular water away from the machine as much as possible. Capillary action sucks water into tiny crevices. The "water" I use is full-strength Windex. I apply it to q-tips or to a blue Scott shop towel. I never spray it on the equipment.

Fred Longworth

Back
Top Bottom