2220b Amp Section Question

Jonstigator

I picked up a 2220b recently for $20 dollars at a yard sale. Got it home and it was weak and horrible to listen to. opened it up and on the amp section pins J716-J720 J714-J710 J721-J717 J711-J715 all jumped with diodes pic included.
Bias and offset cant be adjusted.
Why would anyone do this? :idea: Any ones two cents would be great.:D I think it is because the outputs are blown.:dunno:

Thanks

It has been quite some time since I logged on. I really like the changes. :)

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 23
i was intrigued by this and think i found the answer here ... https://www.tubecad.com/2006/10/blog0084.htm
protecting%20diodes.png

so fly back diodes protect my outputs from inductive kickback? I have never seen these on any of my other 2220b or 2225 receivers. Was this done as a repair? Could this configuration cover for a blown output?

it wont affect anything unless there is a fault like inductive kickback .
yours is 2 channels the diagram just 1

Yup, no spring chicken there. A well known "typo" is the bias adjustment. I measure bias in between pins J714/716 and J715/717. For off set I go right to the speaker jacks.

OK. I was not sure how to measure there so I tried across them with no response then I measured from one end of the coils to ground and the voltage varied from 15/16 mv down to 1.5/.3 mv respectfully.

looks good offsets then .. do you have a scope ? no bother if not .. your meter on AC volts at those points whilst sending a signal to inputs should suffice .

music should do yes .. just use one input source rather than left and right to save confusion .. if you have a mobile phone you could use an app to use a fixed frequency like 1khz .

OK, I tried with a CD player in monitor 1. both sides of coil about 270 mv ac and side of coil to frame the same.

maybe bad connection then in the relay .try tapping it or quickly turning up the volume to break through the corrosion

tried that, cranked it all the way up trying to change reading. I have a new Omron I can put there but don't think that's it But I will do it if you think so.

Back
Top Bottom