2230 is my newest effort

Perhaps.. but my 30 year daughter asked me for a Marantz that I restored. Sounds better than anything else she has or has heard. And she loves the way it looks. She's not a audio nerd.. she's a consumer. But something still speaks after 40 + years.
That’s precisely what got me back into the hobby after a 25 year absence. My 30 year old daughter asked me to help her set up a system to play vinyl on vintage equipment. The only thing I had left from the old days was a Dual 1229 turntable that was dirty and gunked up from dried grease. Found a website for turntables and learned how to rebuild it, got it working, then needed a receiver. Came to AK to learn how to rebuild Marantz receivers, and now I’m hooked. :thumbsup:

Came to AK to learn how to rebuild Marantz receivers, and now I’m hooked. :thumbsup:
Thats funny.. as an ex-ET ( electronic technician), I came back to solid state with Marantz. I had been restoring pre-50s tube sets for a long while but it was the desire to get a Marantz which I couldn't afford back in HS and a belief that the older sets sounded better with the vinyl collection I was building at the time. I had bought my turn table years ago before the uptick.. I needed to rip some records for my dad into something digital for him. I did that and put it all away. Roll the clock some years later and I found the box of records and the turntable I had bought. Decided I needed to play them since I used to play the heck out of them as a kid. Which lead to needing the receiver, which lead to the Marantz, which lead to originally going to pay someone to restore it which is a story to itself, which lead to my thinking I could do a better job with a "small" investment .. which lead to more tools, and parts which lead to more Marantzs which lead to a few Kenwoods etc..etc..etc.. I'm pretty sure it's a sickness ;)

Yep, we definitely live in parallel universes. The only things I kept from the old days were the turntable and all of my vinyl records. They are still in pristine condition, and I can put any of them on and immediately be taken back 40-50 years. I still have the first album I ever got, which was a Christmas present from my sister in 1963 or ‘64. It was The Beach Boys, All Summer Long album. Still plays great.:thumbsup:

I have had a 2220B for a while now and wanted just a touch more power for my Imperial 6s so I picked up a nice 2230 last week. The extra ten or so watts woke up the Imperials a bit and the synergy is supurb, just like with the 2220B. I simly love the Marantz 22xx series receivers.

32714397_1905420686144536_5299196873905537024_o.jpg

32599662_1905420899477848_1688500030882709504_o.jpg

So I'm back to work on my 2230. Randy at Irebuildmarantz outdid my expectations :) The 2230 rebuild kit was absolutely complete with caps, mount, switch, snubber kit, vellum and even the mica for the power transistors. He has everything packaged per module and well labeled along with some extra notes. I picked up some LEDs and a better snubber along with the kit. Top notch Randy.. top notch. On the main filter caps, I use a small wire ring and crimp it on to the leads then solder it. That gives me a large area to mount the wires. I've done with a couple of my rebuilds now and it's worked out pretty well.

IMG_4247.jpg IMG_4248.jpg IMG_4249.jpg IMG_4254.jpg IMG_4258.jpg

That's nice that the kit is so well done. That's good to hear.

I've seen that before with the rings - seems like a good idea.
As usual, copper would be preferred? I don't know about that. I guess I can think of one user here who would sure want copper, LOL. :)

The pics dont show it clearly but two of the caps off one of the channel amps were nice and wrinkly and corroded.. and reading a few pico farads vs the 47uf it was supposed to be. Then I wasnt thinking clearly and used some 8volt LED indicators I had from another project.. came up one short. Well, I wanted the blue so I ordered up a set of LEDs along with the rest of my parts and didnt think much about it. Till I turned it on to test and saw that my other LEDs are "natural" white vs the new set which are WHITE.. ugh.. so I can un-solder all the lamps and redo them.. or he says.. I can use a GEL!! so I get my kit of test gels and find one that gets pretty damn close to the yellow white while giving up just a touch in intensity. I can live with that. I prefer the yellow for the indicators and radio station indicator.. it's a nice contrast to the blue vs white.. at least I think so :)

IMG_4274.jpg IMG_4262.jpg IMG_4269.jpg IMG_4264.jpg IMG_4263.jpg IMG_4265.jpg IMG_4261 (1).jpg

I also got all the power transistors remounted with new screws, new lock washers, new mica and compound. Also the new filter caps are in. Those small coils and resistors were a pain to get back in place.
IMG_4268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom