2230 much noise on turn on!!!!!!!

Detailman

Addicted to tweaking
2230 that I like and that works well but really makes a lot of noise when turning power switch on or pushing speaker selector. I have ordered bulbs from Dwojo and they should be here any day now then I will go in and replace them and also de-oxit all the switches.
Think this will cure that?
This thing sounds wonderful to my ears but I do have some vol control noise.
Supposed to be capacitor coupled. Does anyone know which are the output caps and if replacing them would help?

Thanks
John

Is it a "pop" noise or a woosh? No relay so woofer movement and woosh is normal. If it pops, while some say thats normal, thats not normal.
If you still get a pop after cleaning, and I suspect you will, replace the caps on the amp boards. All of them. There are not that many.

Rob

Robisme said:
Is it a "pop" noise or a woosh? No relay so woofer movement and woosh is normal. If it pops, while some say thats normal, thats not normal.
If you still get a pop after cleaning, and I suspect you will, replace the caps on the amp boards. All of them. There are not that many.

Rob

Good reply and thanks.

It's a woosh but combined with mucho static that takes a while to settle down. Volume control is always set to min. when turning off or on but it is noisy.
I've downloaded a schematic and block diagram and it doesn't look that are that many caps on amp boards so I'll probably go that way along with thorough cleaning.
Thanks for the guidance. It's appreciated.

John:thmbsp:

Just a follow up.
Bulbs from Dwojo came in today and I replaced all the fuse lamps and the stereo bulbs and deoxited all switches and knobs.
Also found a jumper that was not soldered to J752 on the left channel amp board. Nice to have two identical boards to check one against the other.
No more noise, just a little bump when selecting speakers. I think the loose jumper probably had as much to do with it as the Deoxit.

I just love this 2230 and can't believe how all around good it performs. Image is just great and it's smooth but has a lot of PRAT and just untiring to listen to. Vinyl is outstanding.

John

I had a really loose jumper pop off of a 4230 as soon as I unmounted a board.

Deoxit or not, some of the connections between the boards are important and an amp could probably fail in a number of ways from having jumper wires break or corrode.

This was a soldered connection that looked like it was maybe melted off for lack of a better description. What surprised me was how good it was sounding other than the turn on noise before I resoldered it.
It sounds even better now!!!!!!!!!!! Great receiver.

Back
Top Bottom