1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

2230 - P400 Board Mislabeled - Need Help?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by milanomike, Mar 7, 2018.

1. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

or fire and smoke. either way, you get entertained. and that is what the hobby is all about...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. milanomike

milanomike Active Member

Ha, yeah, I've certainly thought that smoke is a possibility, we'll see which i get!

3. milanomike

milanomike Active Member

OK, Mouser looks like they have shipped my goods, not sure i'll get time this weekend if they show up by then. Will update as soon as i can. Thanks for all the help.

4. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

Steve, the WIMA MKS2's can be ordered with long leads.
    Just select the "reel","tape" or "ammo" suffix when ordering.

Bob

5. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice to know. Thanks Bob!

6. milanomike

milanomike Active Member

OK, got my goods from Mouser. wish I knew about the long lead WIMA's, the leads are really short, to me, extending them is another joint to fail. I have the equal in electrolytics, may just use them for the time being.

More importantly, I've realized the pinouts on the replacements for 2SC1000 and 2SA493 are different, will also need to verify current transistors with board markings to avoid errors. Thinking I should sketch the board and pinouts for new and old to make sure I clearly see what goes where. So, hopefully will do some work in this unit over next couple of days, unfortunately, i'm locked up timewise tomorrow.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. milanomike

milanomike Active Member

Correction, the pinouts are the same for 2SC1000 going to KSC1845, so this one is easy, just verify board is correct (or incorrect).

8. milanomike

milanomike Active Member

Woo Hoo - the 2230 makes nice music and not black smoke!

This took way longer than I thought it would because I kept getting interrupted with other stuff, and only worked on it when I was reasonably fresh as I'm no expert here.

I spent some time studying transistor pinouts as at first I thought the KSA992's pinout was different. After holding, flipping and rotating the things in my hand and brain I realized the pinouts were the same after all. In addition the board appeared to be correctly labeled. So, I replaced the 8 transistors on the P400 board and reassembled the board to the unit. Had to lengthen the black ground wire under the board as it was too short. Otherwise, I was able to flip the board up to work on it.

So, the 2230 now works again and limited testing suggests it works fine (have not tested all inputs yet).

I have not done the caps yet for the P400, but also have all the bits for the PS board and the 3 large caps to do also. So plenty of work to do still. (I see why a full restore could easily hit 400+ bucks).

I may order the WIMA caps with the longer leads to make life easier and I am thinking that eventually I should do the 2 power boards plus the phono board to have a completely restored 2230. Make sense?

Really appreciate the help here, I've learned a lot.

Jammer jams, Steven Tate and wlhd1610 like this.