2230 Phono output low?

Stratman

I restored a 2230 recently with some of the mods described on this forum. Sounds amazing.

I'm a little surprised by how much I have to turn up the volume to get a decent output from my phono stage. Any input into the aux is plenty loud at 9-10 o'clock, but phono really needs to be at 12. I feel like the output is comparable to my 2010. My 2225 was definitely louder and my 2265b would be earsplitting at 12 o'clock. For all these units, the volume from phono and aux would be similar at the same volume dial setting, but for the 2230 it is very different.

Is this fairly standard or is there a potential problem? There are no other problems with the unit.

I think this is normal. I just turn my 1060 and 2230 up a little more to get the volume level I like on phono.
The standard for line level used to be a little less than 1V RMS but many CD players boost that to over 2V RMS.
Most CDs are recorded 'hot' and FM radio audio is highly compressed (volume limited) to get maximum volume.

Are the 'mods' you are talking about the replacement of the epoxy gob diodes and the 2SC458 transistors?
Tom

Back
Top Bottom