2230 Plays, but only at one volume

burningskulls

Hey all-

I picked up a 2230 from a friend for free that seems to have a lot of issues and I am wondering where the first place to start is. I haven't done much yet and this is my first time tinkering with something. I am very familiar with forums and am using the search feature for many things so if I just need to do a search for one of my questions let me know.

Basically the thing plays, but only on the main in and only at one volume (which regrettably is quite loud). The volume knob has no effect on one speaker but causes the other to crackle sometimes. All other knobs and the other inputs do nothing.

I already purchased some deoxit on PE and am waiting for that to arrive. With so many things wrong, does this thing need to go into a shop or is that something that a good cleaning could fix.

Currently I'd really just like to get the volume knob fixed as this is just a second receiver for my den and won't be having any crazy demands put on it.

Thanks for any input.
Micah

Welcome to AK burningskulls. It sounds to me like all you have is a dirty volume pot and a dirty selector switch. You'r might as welll give them all a dexoit bath just to be sure though. Also, which deoxit did you buy? For pots you want to use faderlube (which is also made by caig).

I think that once you clean out the controls, you might be pleasently surprised at the condition of your receiver.:yes:

Run an rca patch cable between the pre out and main in. There are supposed to be jumpers there. The connection you are using is for a pre-amp that would have its own volume control. Sounds like it is working fine unless the pre-amp does not work.

Rob

My 2¢. Open ground connection to the volume control. Usually caused by something hitting the colume control real hard, like being dropped. Sometimes the pot just physically seperates and with a little finese can be put back together. Otherwise the traces inside are cracked. :tears: Maybe just maybe the ground wires to the pot are broken, if so then you need to buy a lottery ticket.:D

Note jumpers.

000_0724.jpg

Rob

I bought Deoxit D5. I will pick up some FaderLube as well. Is F5 correct? Thats the only one listed on PE.

Thanks!
Micah

D5 is good for metal to metal contacts, and although they say it is "safe on plastics" sometimes it can have adverse effects. Faderlube is 100% safe on all plastics (which alot of switches/pots have plastic inside). Also, you can buy caig deoxit products direct from the manufacturer.

Run an rca patch cable between the pre out and main in. There are supposed to be jumpers there. The connection you are using is for a pre-amp that would have its own volume control. Sounds like it is working fine unless the pre-amp does not work.

Rob

It sounds like Rob is probably right on this one. Once you get the jumpers hooked up between the preout and power in, try turning the radio on and see if the volume control works. I bet you will have yourself a working receiver. :yes:

DUH!!:stupid: I just re-read the OP, and I noticed where he said he was plugging into the main-in. How could I have missed that?? Anyhow, once you get some patch cords or jumpers, it still sounds like that receiver needs a deoxit bath.

Thanks for being able to read Rob, maybe you could teach me sometime.

Ha that did it. (and shows how little I know about this old stuff in the process) :thmbsp:

Now I'm even more inspired to give this thing a good cleaning. Before it was something I'd get to eventually.

Thanks for all your help! I plan on sticking around.

Micah

Ha that did it. (and shows how little I know about this old stuff in the process) :thmbsp:

Now I'm even more inspired to give this thing a good cleaning. Before it was something I'd get to eventually.

Thanks for all your help! I plan on sticking around.

Micah

Can I call you BS for short? No, wait, :scratch2: that doesn't sound good.

Glad we could help. Welcome to AK. It's a great place to give and get help.

Rob

Misred OP too. :sigh: It was even the first sentance after a paragraph break!!!

This is a common problem, scanning text. Probably comes from reading too many emails or postings. At work it is not uncommon for someone to read the first 2/3's of an email then close it without a reply. Some people take that long to get to the point though. I find the older I get the more I have to focus on the task at hand. Must be all those drugs and booze I didn't do in High School...:scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom