2238B near finished

renaudagnes

Well, now it's clean and working near correctly.

Right now it's a bit deceptive on the subject of sound quality.

Night shoot :

IMG_3599.jpg

very nice looking vintage Marantz.. i too have never seen a black faced vintage unit like that before. very high coolness factor

@Dave : you can go, but could I ask what for ? I have a set of different pictures, this one is a "night shoot" (4 seconds exposure time) done quickly with a very average lens (OldMarantz was asking for the pictures). I've done a night shoot because in theses conditions the blue light is clearly visible, the Marantz signature is obvious.

Just for looking at right here at home, the pic will not go anywhere else. I like to keep files of gear that I have and also gear that is particularly stunning, which yours is.

- Dave

Well, second day with the unit in my living room. And tonite I am starting to love the sound. I am ill ?

Is it possible the unit was unused during long time and produce bad sound the first hours when reused ? Or I need adaptation ? Or the both ?

Yes, yes, don't worry ! The unit still needs some fixing (stereo lamp and some buttons scratching), but now I am confident. I have connected the preamp section to my Audio Research big boy, and it was a pleasure.

I have some others things to test : phono section, tuner section. I have some tuners, a little Sansui and a surprising good Scott 530, so I am not sure to like the tuner section of the receiver. Anyway OldMarantz is able to align the tuner (at low cost), I will see if it's interesting.

I also appreciate the lot of functions : two tapes monitor, two pair of speakers, bass mid treble for each channel, the preamp section usable with an external and internal amp...

Yeah, it's so fun and interesting, and definitively not in the same league as the 1030 and the 2215. I am so happy now I can stop to look on ebay for an eventual good unit.:D

Dolby light

I was examining the picture at the top of the thread, any reason why this version doesn't have the Dolby Decoder? I am assuming it doesn't because there is no Dolby light on the right hand side. Is this because it is the Euro version?

TC

Yes, you are right. This is the European version and there is no slot for the dolby decoder behind the unit. There is no "Dolby Lamp" in front of the unit, and the PZ01 Dial Lamp board is slightly different, as far I can see in the service manual. Also the button "FM 25us" is replaced by a "Low Filter" one.

I listened the tuner yesterday night with an internal antenna and it's good enough for my taste, I went to bed laaately. I have ordered a lamp for stereo, hoping it's just a question of lamp...

Back
Top Bottom