2238B No Sound but lights work

SUB08

2238B No Sound but lights work (probably bad cap or transistor)

I just acquired a 2238b on craigslist. It was definitely in a smokers house, so I'm not sure if that contributed to the condition of the unit.

Anyway, when I press the power button, the lights come on, but I hear no relay click and there is no sound on any of the inputs. I've used DeOxit on the pots, switches, and inputs.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Don't know if this matters, but the volume knob doesn't feel the same as my 2225 when I turn it. It almost feels like it's not tight and it slipping, however, when I look at the pot, I can see that something is turning in there.

Last edited:
What do I need to do to check the fuses? Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to this stuff.

The fuses are the ones that look like the fuse lamps right?

yes- your best bet is to get the service manual from akdatabase.org and look to see what fuses it has.

Thanks guys. I'll test the fuses today or tomorrow and let you know how that goes. I really hope that is all that is needed, because that's an easy fix.

I'm looking at the service manual and found the fuses in the parts list. I need a little help in making sure I get the right fuse type, if I need to buy a replacement.

For example: The manual says: "Fuse, SGA 2A 20mm SEMKO"

Does this mean I need a 2 amp 20mm fuse? What is SGA, and what is SEMKO? Do I need to consider these terms when buying a fuse?

you need to determine whether its fast or slow blow type fuse .
the main fuse will be slow blow .. other fuses are generally fast blow .
see what's wrote on the fuse or next to the fuse holder .. if its marked with a T that's slow blow .the T means time delay .
fuses in the amp may be wrong if someone's changed them .

So if there is no T, then it's fast blow? Does SGA or SEMKO have any significance, or is that just a brand?

Your 2238B has 3 fuses:

F001 4 amp MGC

F7001 1 Amp MGC

F7002 2 Amp MGA

All of these fuses are 30mm in length.

MGC fuses have a diameter of 6.35mm

If this were my receiver i would use standard AGC 250 volt fuses.

The SEMKO description is for export models, I believe that SEMKO is not a brand but a rating or standard for the product.

I'm having trouble locating the F001 fuse. I see it on the schematic, but I'm lost as to where it's actually located in there. I attached the schematic that shows the location. Does anyone know where I should look?

f001location.jpg

Well according to that diagram there is 1 fuse and if the lights work that aint the issue. I'd be checking the power coming out of the the rectifier next.

Back
Top Bottom