2238b pointer light supply

Stepbox

Hi I am new to this forum and to my new Marantz 2238b. It was sitting in the dumpster under a pile of metal pipe looking quite forlorn and I spirited it home avoiding my wife who is always leary of my dump treasures.

I took the top off and saw it had a carpet of 40 years of dust and dead bugs over everything vacuumed and blew it out and did a visual and saw no signs of problems. It did only have one foot left on the bottom. Plugged it in and turned it on and speaker relay clicked. Not one light glowed. Ordered a LED and bulb kit and some deoxit and lube. I did hook it up to some speakers before ordering the parts and it worked! All controls very noisy and intermittent. Bulbs came and wife went out so I got to work swapped meter bulbs for led's and tested nothing checked 2 amp fuse with meter and that was the problem replaced fuse and it dial lites glowed. Changed pointer bulb with new, very hard to get old out and new in but did it. Pointer light still does not work and the reason appears to be no voltage on is supply pins J725. Can not see from diagram how it gets power but I'm thinking something drops the voltage from the panel lights but what. Quickly put back together with the still not working pointer bulb and it works great after cleaning pots and switches. Any suggestions as to how to get to the bottom of lack of pointer bulb voltage would be appreciatted

The input selector switch is involved, the pointer is on only in AM or FM. Try exercising the switch with some DeOxit.

Craig

Thank you Craig I will check that out next time I open it up. That was one of the switches I exercised while spraying cleaner and then lube into it but perhaps it needs more. It really is on of the more accessible switches where it is located.

Watch the key way in the selector switch, it tends to move out the back of the switch.
There was a thread about it earlier.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom